Susan Bakewell-Sachs is Vice President for Nursing Affairs, Professor, and Dean at Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) School of Nursing. Dr. Bakewell-Sachs has a clinical background as a pediatric nurse practitioner and is a nationally recognized scholar and clinical expert in the care of prematurely born infants, as well as a recognized expert in nursing education.
Dr. Bakewell-Sachs was a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) Executive Nurse Fellow, Cohort 2007, where her leadership development focused on strategic effectiveness and nursing education. Prior to joining OHSU, Dr. Bakewell-Sachs served as Dean and Interim Provost at The College of New Jersey, and also served as the Program Director for the New Jersey Nursing Initiative, an RWJF program aimed at addressing the nurse faculty shortage through new curriculum models, faculty development, and academic-practice partnerships.
Dr. Bakewell-Sachs is an active member and leader in several national nursing organizations, and is currently serving as a member of the Board of Directors of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing and of the Oregon Action Coalition Steering Committee. Dr. Bakewell-Sachs is a fellow in the American Academy of Nursing.Read more
- B.S.N., University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 1979
- Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, Philadelphia Pennsylvania 1992
- M.S.N., University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, Philadelphia Pennsylvania 1982
- C.P.N.P., University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, Philadelphia Pennsylvania 1995
Honors and awards
- 2012 - Visionary Leadership Award, Regional/State Nursing Leadership, UMDNJ School of Nursing 20th Anniversary Awards
- 2012- Service Award, the Center for Certification Preparation and Review (CCPR)
- 2013 - Inducted Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing