Shiuh-Wen Luoh, M.D., Ph.D., is assistant professor of medicine in the Division of Hematology and Medical Oncology at Oregon Health & Science University in Portland, Oregon. Dr. Luoh is also a staff physician at the Portland Veterans Affairs Medical Center. He received his medical degree from National Taiwan University in Taipei, Taiwan, in 1986. He then received his Ph.D. in biology from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Mass., in 1993. Dr. Luoh received his clinical training in internal medicine and hematology and oncology from UCLA Medical Center in Westwood, Calif. from 1994 through 1999. After serving as a clinical instructor for one year at UCLA Medical Center, Dr. Luoh moved to the University of Cincinnati and Vontz Center for Molecular Studies to begin his independent academic career.
He returned to the West Coast and joined the faculty of OHSU in October 2003. Dr. Luoh was a fellow scholar from the American Society of Hematology, and authored 12 articles and half a dozen abstracts in various areas of biomedical research. A devoted physician-scientist, Dr. Luoh is actively conducting laboratory and research in breast cancer, and also does research that translates directly into new treatments for patients. His career goal is to bring laboratory research to patient care for the benefit of breast cancer patients.Read more
- M.D., National Taiwan University, 0 0 1986
- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 0 0 1993
- University of California, Los Angeles Medical Center, 1996
- Hematology/oncology, University of California, Los Angeles Medical Center, 1999
- American Board of Internal Medicine (internal medicine), 1997 (recertified 2007)
Memberships and associations
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- "Neratinib after trastuzumab-based adjuvant therapy in HER2-positive breast cancer (ExteNET) : 5-year analysis of a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial." The Lancet Oncology In: , Vol. 18, No. 12, 01.12.2017, p. 1688-1700.
- "Quantitative progesterone receptor expression and efficacy of anti-estrogen therapy in breast cancer." Breast Journal In: , Vol. 20, No. 1, 01.2014, p. 46-52.
- "Effect of body mass index on tumor characteristics and disease-free survival in patients from the HER2-positive adjuvant trastuzumab trial N9831." Breast Diseases In: , Vol. 25, No. 1, 2014, p. 45-47.
- "Impact + resistance training improves bone health and body composition in prematurely menopausal breast cancer survivors : A randomized controlled trial." Osteoporosis International In: , Vol. 24, No. 5, 05.2013, p. 1637-1646.
- "HER-2 gene amplification in human breast cancer without concurrent HER-2 over-expression." SpringerPlus In: , Vol. 2, No. 1, 2013, p. 1-10.
- "Comparison of tai chi vs. strength training for fall prevention among female cancer survivors : Study protocol for the GET FIT trial." BMC Cancer In: , Vol. 12, 577, 05.12.2012.
- "Breast cancer medications and vision : Effects of treatments for early-stage disease." Current Eye Research In: , Vol. 36, No. 10, 10.2011, p. 867-885.
- "GRB7 protein over-expression and clinical outcome in breast cancer." Breast Cancer Research and Treatment In: , Vol. 127, No. 3, 06.2011, p. 659-669.
- "Identifying factors associated with falls in postmenopausal breast cancer survivors : A multi-disciplinary approach." Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation In: , Vol. 92, No. 4, 04.2011, p. 646-652.
- "Phase II study evaluating the efficacy and safety of sagopilone (ZK-EPO) in patients with metastatic breast cancer that has progressed following chemotherapy." Breast Cancer Research and Treatment In: , Vol. 123, No. 3, 10.2010, p. 837-842.
- "In Brief." Current Problems in Surgery In: , Vol. 46, No. 12, 12.2009, p. 934-942.
- "Breast Cancer in Premenopausal Women." Current Problems in Surgery In: , Vol. 46, No. 12, 12.2009, p. 944-1004.
- "GRB-7 facilitates HER-2/Neu-mediated signal transduction and tumor formation." Carcinogenesis In: , Vol. 29, No. 3, 03.2008, p. 473-479.
- "Acute bilateral pulmonary emboli occurring while on adjuvant aromatase inhibitor therapy with anastrozole : Case report and review of the literature." Breast Cancer Research and Treatment In: , Vol. 99, No. 3, 10.2006, p. 249-255.
- "Overexpression of the amplified Pip4k2β gene from 17q11-12 in breast cancer cells confers proliferation advantage." Oncogene In: , Vol. 23, No. 7, 19.02.2004, p. 1354-1363.
- "Amplification and expression of genes from the 17q11∼q12 amplicon in breast cancer cells." Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics In: , Vol. 136, No. 1, 01.07.2002, p. 43-47.
- "Direct genetic demonstration of Gα13 coupling to the orphan G protein-coupled receptor G2A leading to RhoA-dependent actin rearrangement." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America In: , Vol. 97, No. 22, 24.10.2000, p. 12109-12114.
- "Zfx mutation results in small animal size and reduced germ cell number in male and female mice." Development In: , Vol. 124, No. 11, 06.1997, p. 2275-2284.
- "CpG Islands in HumanZFXandZFYand MouseZfxGenes : Sequence Similarities and Methylation Differences." Genomics In: , Vol. 29, No. 2, 09.1995, p. 353-363.
- "The Structure of the Zfx Gene on the Mouse X Chromosome." Genomics In: , Vol. 19, No. 2, 15.01.1994, p. 310-319.
- "Mouse Zfx protein is similar to Zfy-2 : Each contains an acidic activating domain and 13 zinc fingers." Molecular and Cellular Biology In: , Vol. 10, No. 2, 02.1990, p. 681-688.
- "Human sex-chromosome-specific repeats within a region of pseudoautosomal/Yq homology." Genomics In: , Vol. 7, No. 4, 1990, p. 625-628.
- "Putative transcription activator with alternative isoforms encoded by human ZFX gene." Nature In: , Vol. 342, No. 6250, 1989, p. 708-711.