Dr. Orenstein joined the OHSU Department of Surgery in 2014 and in 2015 began serving as the Endoscopy Curriculum Co-Leader and Laboratory Instructor for residents in training. His research interests include outcomes and improvements for minimally invasive and open hernia repair techniques, evaluation of hernia mesh prosthetics, and further exploration of the fusion between endoscopic and surgical techniques to improve patient outcomes and medical care.
Dr. Orenstein's residency and fellowship training allowed him to explore his passion for hernia repair, with specialized training in abdominal wall reconstruction for complex and recurrent abdominal hernias. During his fellowship he also focused on minimally invasive surgical techniques such as laparoscopic hernia repair, laparoscopic foregut surgery, and laparoscopic diaphragmatic pacemaker placement for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) or spinal cord injury. His fellowship was also an avenue to receive specialized training on advanced endoscopy, including per oral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) for achalasia, endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP), and endoscopic stenting.
Dr. Orenstein has held membership with the Association for Academic Surgery since 2008, and with the American College of Surgeons, Americas Hernia Society, and the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons since 2009.Read more
Areas of interest
- Hernia repair
- Abdominal Wall Reconstruction (AWR)
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Robotic-assisted Surgery
- Gastrointestinal (GI) Surgery
- General Surgery
- B.A., University of Colorado, Boulder Colorado United States 1999
- M.M.S., MCP Hahnemann University, Philadelphia Pennsylvania United States 2002
- M.D., Albany Medical College, Albany New York United States 2006
- General Surgery, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington and Hartford, CT, 2006-2013
- Advanced GI and Minimally Invasive Surgery, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, OH, 2013-2014
- American Board of Surgery, 2015
Memberships and associations
- American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- Americas Hernia Society (AHS)
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
- Association for Academic Surgery (AAS)
- "Sarcopenia and outcomes in ventral hernia repair : a preliminary review." Hernia In: , 11.05.2018, p. 1-8.
- "Stapled Transabdominal Ostomy Reinforcement with retromuscular mesh (STORRM) : Technical details and early outcomes of a novel approach for retromuscular repair of parastomal hernias." American Journal of Surgery In: , 2017.
- "Laparoscopic ventral hernia repair with defect closure." Hernia Surgery: Current Principles. Springer International Publishing, 2016. p. 231-240.
- "Ventral Hernia Management : Expert Consensus Guided by Systematic Review." Annals of Surgery In: , 15.03.2016.
- "Outcomes of Posterior Component Separation With Transversus Abdominis Muscle Release and Synthetic Mesh Sublay Reinforcement." Annals of Surgery In: , 19.02.2016.
- "Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy : Introducer technique." Percutanous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG): Techniques, Effectiveness and Potential Complications. Nova Science Publishers, Inc., 2016. p. 99-113.
- "Risk factors for wound morbidity after open retromuscular (sublay) hernia repair." Surgery (United States) In: , Vol. 158, No. 6, 01.12.2015, p. 1658-1668.
- "Transversus abdominis muscle release for repair of complex incisional hernias in kidney transplant recipients." American Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 210, No. 2, 01.08.2015, p. 334-339.
- "Repair of massive ventral hernias with “quilted” mesh." Hernia In: , Vol. 19, No. 3, 09.04.2015, p. 465-472.
- "Peroral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) leads to similar results in patients with and without prior endoscopic or surgical therapy." Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques In: , Vol. 29, No. 5, 08.04.2015, p. 1064-1070.
- "Central failures of lightweight monofilament polyester mesh causing hernia recurrence : a cautionary note." Hernia In: , Vol. 19, No. 1, 01.02.2015, p. 155-159.
- "Laparoscopic-Assisted Drainage of a Massive Retroperitoneal Abscess Caused by Group B Streptococcus." Surgical Infections In: , Vol. 16, No. 1, 01.02.2015, p. 110-111.
- "Real-time cadaveric laparoscopy and laparoscopic video demonstrations in gross anatomy : An observation of impact on learning and career choice." American Surgeon In: , Vol. 81, No. 1, 01.01.2015, p. 96-100.
- "Retrograde myotomy : a variation in per oral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) technique." Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques In: , Vol. 28, No. 11, 21.10.2014, p. 3257-3259.
- "Comparative analysis of histopathologic responses to implanted porcine biologic meshes." Hernia In: , Vol. 18, No. 5, 28.09.2014, p. 713-721.
- "Laparoscopic placement of adjustable gastric band in patients with autoimmune disease or chronic steroid use." Obesity Surgery In: , Vol. 24, No. 4, 2014, p. 584-587.
- "Technical aspects of bile duct evaluation and exploration." Surgical Clinics of North America In: , Vol. 94, No. 2, 2014, p. 281-296.
- "Effect of patient and hospital characteristics on outcomes of elective ventral hernia repair in the United States." Hernia In: , Vol. 17, No. 5, 2013, p. 639-645.
- "Transversus abdominis muscle release : A novel approach to posterior component separation during complex abdominal wall reconstruction." American Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 204, No. 5, 11.2012, p. 709-716.
- "Comparative analysis of histopathologic effects of synthetic meshes based on material, weight, and pore size in mice." Journal of Surgical Research In: , Vol. 176, No. 2, 08.2012, p. 423-429.
- "Evaluation of serum cytokine release in response to hand-assisted, laparoscopic, and open surgery in a porcine model." American Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 202, No. 1, 07.2011, p. 97-102.
- "Advantages of the hand-assisted versus the open approach to elective colectomies." Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques In: , Vol. 25, No. 5, 05.2011, p. 1364-1368.
- "Outcomes of laparoscopic ventral hernia repair with routine defect closure using "shoelacing" technique." Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques In: , Vol. 25, No. 5, 05.2011, p. 1452-1457.
- "Anisotropic evaluation of synthetic surgical meshes." Hernia In: , Vol. 15, No. 1, 02.2011, p. 47-52.
- "Effects of mast cell modulation on early host response to implanted synthetic meshes." Hernia In: , Vol. 14, No. 5, 10.2010, p. 511-516.
- "Activation of human mononuclear cells by porcine biologic meshes in vitro." Hernia In: , Vol. 14, No. 4, 08.2010, p. 401-407.
- "Small bowel obstruction owing to displaced spiral tack after laparoscopic TAPP inguinal hernia repair." Surgical Laparoscopy, Endoscopy and Percutaneous Techniques In: , Vol. 20, No. 3, 06.2010.
- "Human monocyte activation by biologic and biodegradable meshes in vitro." Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques In: , Vol. 24, No. 4, 04.2010, p. 805-811.
- "In Vitro Activation of Human Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells Induced by Human Biologic Meshes1 ." Journal of Surgical Research In: , Vol. 158, No. 1, 01.2010, p. 10-14.