Dr. Robert Martindale joined OHSU in May 2005. He is currently Professor of Surgery and the Chief of the Division of General Surgery. He also serves as the Medical Director for Hospital Nutrition Services. He is board certified in General Surgery with special clinical interest in abdominal wall reconstruction and surgical nutrition and metabolism.
Dr. Martindale completed his medical training at George Washington University in Washington DC and his surgical residency at Madigan Army Medical Center in Tacoma, WA. He obtained his PhD in Nutrition at UCLA, in the laboratories of Drs. Morton Grossman, Tachi Yamada, and Seymour Levin at the Center for Ulcer Research and Education.
Upon completion of his military obligation, Dr. Martindale joined the faculty at the Medical College of Georgia, where he held many distinguished positions, including Chief of the General Surgery Service at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Augusta, Georgia, Director of Nutrition Support Service at the Medical College of Georgia, and Chief of the Section of Gastrointestinal Surgery at the Medical College of Georgia. While at the Medical College of Georgia, Dr. Martindale also served as the Surgical Residency Program Director.
Dr. Martindale’s primary focus throughout his professional career has been in surgical education and patient care in surgery and nutrition. He has won numerous teaching awards and continues to publish and mentor young physicians and investigators. In addition to being the co-editor of a textbook dealing with surgical and critical care nutrition, he is the author of well over 200 publications, including peer reviewed articles, review articles, chapters, and several medical educational videos.
Dr. Martindale is on numerous professional committees on local, national, and international levels. He is on the editorial board for several surgical and nutritional journals, as well as serving as an editorial reviewer for over 15 peer reviewed journals. He routinely is invited to give lectures not only nationally, but internationally.
- Ph.D., University of California, Los Angeles California 1982
- M.D., George Washington University, Washington, DC 1984
- Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, WA, 1984-1989
- American Board of Surgery, 1990; recertification, 2000, 2010
Memberships and associations
- American Surgical Association
- "Prospective evaluation of poly-4-hydroxybutyrate mesh in CDC class I/high-risk ventral and incisional hernia repair : 18-month follow-up." Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques In: , 23.10.2017, p. 1-8.
- "Critical Care Nutrition Support Best Practices : Key Differences between Canadian and American Guidelines." Nutrition in Clinical Practice In: , Vol. 32, No. 5, 01.10.2017, p. 633-644.
- "Micronutrient Deficiencies after Bariatric Surgery : An Emphasis on Vitamins and Trace Minerals." Nutrition in Clinical Practice In: , Vol. 32, No. 4, 01.08.2017, p. 471-480.
- "Understanding and Resetting Radiation Sensitivity in Rectal Cancer." Annals of Surgery In: , 24.07.2017.
- "The intensive care medicine research agenda in nutrition and metabolism." Intensive Care Medicine In: , 03.04.2017, p. 1-18.
- "Critical Care Nutrition : Where's the Evidence?" Critical Care Clinics In: , Vol. 33, No. 2, 01.04.2017, p. 397-412.
- "Protein Kinetics and Metabolic Effects Related to Disease States in the Intensive Care Unit." Nutrition in Clinical Practice In: , Vol. 32, No. 1_suppl, 01.04.2017, p. 21S-29S.
- "How Much and What Type of Protein Should a Critically Ill Patient Receive?" Nutrition in Clinical Practice In: , Vol. 32, No. 1_suppl, 01.04.2017, p. 6S-14S.
- "Nutrition Support for Persistent Inflammation, Immunosuppression, and Catabolism Syndrome." Nutrition in Clinical Practice In: , Vol. 32, No. 1_suppl, 01.04.2017, p. 121S-127S.
- "Summary Points and Consensus Recommendations from the International Protein Summit." Nutrition in Clinical Practice In: , Vol. 32, No. 1_suppl, 01.04.2017, p. 142S-151S.
- "Acquired Amino Acid Deficiencies : A Focus on Arginine and Glutamine." Nutrition in Clinical Practice In: , Vol. 32, No. 1_suppl, 01.04.2017, p. 30S-47S.
- "Will We Ever Agree on Protein Requirements in the Intensive Care Unit?" Nutrition in Clinical Practice In: , Vol. 32, No. 1_suppl, 01.04.2017, p. 94S-100S.
- "Protein Delivery in the Intensive Care Unit : Optimal or Suboptimal?" Nutrition in Clinical Practice In: , Vol. 32, No. 1_suppl, 01.04.2017, p. 58S-71S.
- "ESPEN guideline : Clinical nutrition in surgery." Clinical Nutrition In: , 11.02.2017.
- "Immunonutrition and Colorectal Surgery." Diseases of the Colon and Rectum In: , Vol. 60, No. 1, 01.01.2017, p. 3-4.
- "Parenteral or enteral arginine supplementation safety and efficacy." Journal of Nutrition In: , Vol. 146, No. 12, 01.12.2016, p. 2594S-2600S.
- "Analysis of model development strategies : predicting ventral hernia recurrence." Journal of Surgical Research In: , Vol. 206, No. 1, 01.11.2016, p. 159-167.
- "The Critical Care Obesity Paradox and Implications for Nutrition Support." Current Gastroenterology Reports In: , Vol. 18, No. 9, 45, 01.09.2016.
- "Intestinal Failure : New Definition and Clinical Implications." Current Gastroenterology Reports In: , Vol. 18, No. 9, 48, 01.09.2016.
- "Should We Aim for Full Enteral Feeding in the First Week of Critical Illness?" Nutrition in Clinical Practice In: , Vol. 31, No. 4, 01.08.2016, p. 425-431.
- "The gut in trauma." Current Opinion in Critical Care In: , Vol. 22, No. 4, 01.08.2016, p. 339-346.
- "Evaluation of a fully absorbable poly-4-hydroxybutyrate/absorbable barrier composite mesh in a porcine model of ventral hernia repair." Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques In: , 01.07.2016, p. 1-11.
- "Preoperative preparation of the patient undergoing incisional hernia repair : Optimizing chances for success." Hernia Surgery: Current Principles. Springer International Publishing, 2016. p. 31-40.
- "Do risk calculators accurately predict surgical site occurrences?" Journal of Surgical Research In: , Vol. 203, No. 1, 01.06.2016, p. 56-63.
- "Sublay versus underlay in open ventral hernia repair." Journal of Surgical Research In: , Vol. 202, No. 1, 01.05.2016, p. 26-32.
- "Ventral Hernia Management : Expert Consensus Guided by Systematic Review." Annals of Surgery In: , 15.03.2016.
- "ACG Clinical Guideline : Nutrition Therapy in the Adult Hospitalized Patient." American Journal of Gastroenterology In: , 08.03.2016.
- "Does the use of specialized proresolving molecules in critical care offer a more focused approach to controlling inflammation than that of fish oils?" Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care In: , Vol. 19, No. 2, 01.03.2016, p. 151-154.
- "Guidelines for the Provision and Assessment of Nutrition Support Therapy in the Adult Critically Ill Patient : Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM) and American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (A.S.P.E.N.)." Critical Care Medicine In: , Vol. 44, No. 2, 01.02.2016, p. 390-438.
- "Suture, synthetic, or biologic in contaminated ventral hernia repair." The Journal of surgical research In: , Vol. 200, No. 2, 01.02.2016, p. 488-494.