Dr. Schelonka specializes in caring for newborn infants who have special needs immediately after birth and beyond. Many of the babies he cares for are born prematurely and need help breathing. Others may be born on time but have lung, heart or intestinal problems. Dr. Schelonka enjoys working with babies because so many will grow and develop 'before your very eyes', and one day be strong enough to go home in their parents' arms.
In his spare time, Dr. Schelonka enjoys spending time with his family, including his wife whose day job is to care for their four children. Between rowing, baseball, football, choir, theatre, his kids’ schedules keep him very busy. His favorite time is spent with his family on long bicycle rides, hiking, skiing and exploring all the best that Oregon outdoor life has to offer.Read more
- M.D., Case Western Reserve School of Medicine, 0 1991
- Pediatrics, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, San Antonio, TX, 1994
- Neonatology, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, San Antonio, TX, 1997
- American Board of Pediatrics-pediatrics, 1994
Memberships and associations
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- "Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Length of Stay Reduction by Heart Rate Characteristics Monitoring." Journal of Pediatrics In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Beyond the uterine environment : A nonhuman primate model to investigate maternal-fetal and neonatal outcomes following chronic intrauterine infection." Pediatric Research In: , Vol. 82, No. 2, 01.08.2017, p. 244-252.
- "Alterations in B cell development, CDR-H3 repertoire and dsDNA-binding antibody production among C57BL/6 ΔD−iD mice congenic for the lupus susceptibility loci sle1, sle2 or sle3." Autoimmunity In: , Vol. 50, No. 1, 02.01.2017, p. 42-51.
- "Violation of an evolutionarily conserved immunoglobulin diversity gene sequence preference promotes production of dsDNA-specific IgG antibodies." PLoS One In: , Vol. 10, No. 2, e0118171, 23.02.2015.
- "Pharmacokinetics, microbial response, and pulmonary outcomes of multidose intravenous azithromycin in preterm infants at risk for Ureaplasma respiratory colonization." Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy In: , Vol. 59, No. 1, 01.01.2015, p. 570-578.
- "Cytokines associated with necrotizing enterocolitis in extremely-low-birth- weight infants." Pediatric Research In: , Vol. 76, No. 1, 2014, p. 100-108.
- "Type v aplasia cutis congenita : Case report, review of the literature, and proposed treatment algorithm." Pediatric Dermatology In: , Vol. 30, No. 6, 11.2013.
- "Septicemia mortality reduction in neonates in a heart rate characteristics monitoring trial." Pediatric Research In: , Vol. 74, No. 5, 11.2013, p. 570-575.
- "The many faces of B Cells : From generation of antibodies to immune regulation." NeoReviews In: , Vol. 14, No. 9, 01.09.2013.
- "Plastic bags for prevention of hypothermia in preterm and low birth weight infants." Pediatrics In: , Vol. 132, No. 1, 01.07.2013.
- "Recirculating bone marrow B cells in C57BL/6 mice are more tolerant of highly hydrophobic and highly charged CDR-H3s than those in BALB/c mice." European Journal of Immunology In: , Vol. 43, No. 3, 03.2013, p. 629-640.
- "Immunogenicity of haemophilus influenzae type b protein conjugate vaccines in very low birth weight infants." Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal In: , Vol. 32, No. 12, 2013, p. 1400-1402.
- "Safety and effectiveness of meropenem in infants with suspected or complicated intra-abdominal infections." Clinical Infectious Diseases In: , Vol. 55, No. 11, 01.12.2012, p. 1495-1502.
- "Cytokine profiles of preterm neonates with fungal and bacterial sepsis." Pediatric Research In: , Vol. 72, No. 2, 08.2012, p. 212-220.
- "The Ureaplasma Conundrum : Should We Look or Ignore?" Hematology, Immunology and Infectious Disease. Elsevier Inc., 2012. p. 253-267.
- "Mortality reduction by heart rate characteristic monitoring in very low birth weight neonates : A randomized trial." Journal of Pediatrics In: , Vol. 159, No. 6, 12.2011.
- "Population pharmacokinetics of meropenem in plasma and cerebrospinal fluid of infants with suspected or complicated intra-abdominal infections." Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal In: , Vol. 30, No. 10, 10.2011, p. 844-849.
- "Absence of N addition facilitates B cell development, but impairs immune responses." Immunogenetics In: , Vol. 63, No. 9, 09.2011, p. 599-609.
- "Fetal and Neonatal Morbidity and Mortality Following Delivery After Previous Cesarean." Clinics in Perinatology In: , Vol. 38, No. 2, 06.2011, p. 311-319.
- "T cell cytokines and the risk of blood stream infection in extremely low birth weight infants." Cytokine In: , Vol. 53, No. 2, 02.2011, p. 249-255.
- "Ventilation Strategies." Assisted Ventilation of the Neonate. Elsevier Inc., 2011. p. 265-276.
- "Nasopharyngeal carriage of Streptococcus Pneumoniae in very low-birth-weight infants after administration of heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine." Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine In: , Vol. 164, No. 12, 12.2010, p. 1173-1175.
- "The peritoneal cavity B-2 antibody repertoire appears to reflect many of the same selective pressures that shape the B-1a and B-1b repertoires." Journal of Immunology In: , Vol. 185, No. 10, 15.11.2010, p. 6085-6095.
- "The CDR-H3 repertoire from TdT-deficient adult bone marrow is a close, but not exact, homologue of the CDR-H3 repertoire from perinatal liver." Journal of Immunology In: , Vol. 185, No. 10, 15.11.2010, p. 6075-6084.
- "DH and JH usage in murine fetal liver mirrors that of human fetal liver." Immunogenetics In: , Vol. 62, No. 10, 10.2010, p. 653-666.
- "Heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine immunogenicity in very-low-birth-weight, premature infants." Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal In: , Vol. 29, No. 7, 07.2010, p. 600-606.
- "Editorial : Oxygen for cyanotic neonates: Friend or foe?" Pediatric Health In: , Vol. 4, No. 1, 02.2010, p. 1-3.
- "The oxygen conundrum for infants with suspected congenital heart disease." Neonatology In: , Vol. 97, No. 2, 02.2010, p. 163-164.
- "Plasma concentrations of inflammatory cytokines rise rapidly during ECMO-related SIRS due to the release of preformed stores in the intestine." Laboratory Investigation In: , Vol. 90, No. 1, 01.2010, p. 128-139.
- "Genetic control of DH reading frame and its effect on B-cell development and antigen-specifc antibody production." Critical Reviews in Immunology In: , Vol. 30, No. 4, 2010, p. 327-344.