Dr. Dieckmann leads the Statistical Core in the school of nursing. He provides statistical and research design support to faculty and students and teaches statistical methods. Particular areas of interest include structural equation models, complex (quasi) experimental design, psychometrics, meta-analysis, and big data analytics. Before coming to OHSU, Dr. Dieckmann worked as a statistical consultant in a variety of domains including health, the physical and social sciences, education, and business.
Dr. Dieckmann also conducts basic and applied research in the decision sciences, risk communication, and statistical methodology. His current work is focused on the development of decision aids, risk assessment tools, and methods for the effective presentation of uncertainty in a variety of domains. Other areas of interest include individual differences in numerical ability and how improving cognitive and decision making skills can lead to better health outcomes. Recent work in the area of statistics has focused on the appropriate use of meta-analytic methods in the behavioral sciences.
Conducts basic and applied research in judgment and decision making, risk communication, and statistical methodology; Expertise in structural equation modeling, complex (quasi) experimental designs, psychometrics, and meta-analysis.
Preferred Method of Contact: e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D., University of Oregon. 2007
- "Falls and Frailty in Prostate Cancer Survivors : Current, Past, and Never Users of Androgen Deprivation Therapy." Journal of the American Geriatrics Society In: , 2017.
- "Factors affecting physicians' intentions to communicate personalized prognostic information to cancer patients at the end of life : An experimental vignette study." Medical Decision Making In: , Vol. 36, No. 6, 01.08.2016, p. 703-713.
- "A High-Touch Model of Community-Based Specialist Palliative Care : Latent Class Analysis Identifies Distinct Patient Subgroups." Journal of Pain and Symptom Management In: , Vol. 52, No. 2, 01.08.2016, p. 272-283.
- "A Longitudinal Examination of Stages of Change Model Applied to Mammography Screening." Western Journal of Nursing Research In: , Vol. 38, No. 4, 01.04.2016, p. 441-458.
- "Development of the assessment for collaborative environments (ACE-15) : A tool to measure perceptions of interprofessional “teamness”." Journal of Interprofessional Care In: , 31.03.2016, p. 1-7.
- "Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder developmental trajectories related to parental expressed emotion." Journal of Abnormal Psychology In: , Vol. 125, No. 2, 01.02.2016, p. 182-195.
- "Relationship between fatigue, sleep quality and inflammatory cytokines during external beam radiation therapy for prostate cancer : A prospective study." Radiotherapy and Oncology In: , Vol. 118, No. 1, 01.01.2016, p. 105-111.
- "Seeing What You Want to See : How Imprecise Uncertainty Ranges Enhance Motivated Reasoning." Risk Analysis In: , 2016.
- "Benefits of partnered strength training for prostate cancer survivors and spouses : results from a randomized controlled trial of the Exercising Together project." Journal of Cancer Survivorship In: , 29.12.2015, p. 1-12.
- "Interprofessional Education : Finding a Place to Start." Nurse Educator In: , Vol. 40, No. 5, 07.09.2015, p. 249-253.
- "Variation in symptom distress in underserved Chinese American cancer patients." Cancer In: , Vol. 121, No. 18, 01.09.2015, p. 3352-3359.
- "Mammography screening of Chinese immigrant women : Ever screened versus never screened." Oncology Nursing Forum In: , Vol. 42, No. 5, 01.09.2015, p. 470-478.
- "Development and Validation of an Assessment of Regional Anesthesia Ultrasound Interpretation Skills." Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine In: , Vol. 40, No. 4, 11.07.2015, p. 306-314.
- "At Home on the Range? Lay Interpretations of Numerical Uncertainty Ranges." Risk Analysis In: , Vol. 35, No. 7, 01.07.2015, p. 1281-1295.
- "Is there evidence of failing to fail in our schools of nursing?" Nursing Education Perspectives In: , Vol. 36, No. 4, 01.07.2015, p. 226-231.
- "Resistance exercise reduces body fat and insulin during androgen-deprivation therapy for prostate cancer." Oncology Nursing Forum In: , Vol. 42, No. 4, 01.07.2015, p. 348-356.
- "The role of objective numeracy and fluid intelligence in sex-related protective behaviors." Current HIV Research In: , Vol. 13, No. 5, 01.07.2015, p. 337-346.
- "The cognitive impact of the education revolution : A possible cause of the Flynn Effect on population IQ." Intelligence In: , Vol. 49, 01.03.2015, p. 144-158.
- "Impact of a simulation on nursing students' attitudes toward schizophrenia." Clinical Simulation in Nursing In: , Vol. 11, No. 2, 01.02.2015, p. 134-141.
- "Resistance training reduces disability in prostate cancer survivors on androgen deprivation therapy : Evidence from a randomized controlled trial." Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation In: , Vol. 96, No. 1, 01.01.2015, p. 7-14.
- "A breast health educational program for Chinese-American women : 3- to 12-month postintervention effect." American Journal of Health Promotion In: , Vol. 29, No. 3, 01.01.2015, p. 173-181.
- "Reducing incivility in the workplace : Results of a three-part educational intervention." Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing In: , Vol. 46, No. 1, 01.01.2015, p. 15-24.
- "Conflicting health information : A critical research need." Health Expectations In: , 2015.
- "Preliminary evidence of a blunted anti-inflammatory response to exhaustive exercise in fibromyalgia." Journal of Neuroimmunology In: , Vol. 277, No. 1-2, 15.12.2014, p. 160-167.
- "The role of patient pain and physical function on depressive symptoms in couples with lung cancer : A longitudinal dyadic analysis." Journal of Family Psychology In: , Vol. 28, No. 5, 2014, p. 692-700.
- "Social activity decreases risk of placement in a long-term care facility for a prospective sample of community-dwelling older adults." Research in gerontological nursing In: , Vol. 7, No. 3, 2014, p. 106-112.
- "Possession attachment predicts cell phone use while driving." Health Psychology In: , Vol. 32, No. 4, 04.2013, p. 379-387.
- "Development and Testing of an Abbreviated Numeracy Scale : A Rasch Analysis Approach." Journal of Behavioral Decision Making In: , Vol. 26, No. 2, 04.2013, p. 198-212.
- "Numeracy skill and the communication, comprehension and use of risk–benefit information." The Feeling of Risk: New Perspectives on Risk Perception. Taylor and Francis, 2013. p. 345-352.
- "Communicating about uncertainty in multistakeholder groups." Effective Risk Communication. Taylor and Francis, 2013. p. 56-72.