Dr. Berlin's clinical efforts focus on the maintenance of health and disease prevention for women, including evaluating abnormal Pap tests with colposcopy and other procedures. Her research pursuits also focus on screening and prevention services, particularly cancer screening and detection, disease prevention and health promotion. Dr. Berlin considers OHSU a remarkable academic healthcare institution with clear expertise in key areas of clinical care and the research needed to support optimal care. An important aspect of her practice is helping women understand their health care treatment choices.
Born and raised on the West Coast, Dr. Berlin has also lived in other parts of the country. For her, Portland offers the best mix of things that she enjoys. In her spare time, Dr. Berlin enjoys reading, playing with her dog, exploring Oregon and other travel with her family.Read more
- M.P.H., University of California School of Public Health, Berkeley California 1982
- M.D., University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati Ohio 1986
- Obstetrics and gynecology, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, 1988
- Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California, San Francisco, 1992
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1993
Memberships and associations
- American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Fellow American
- "How to study the impact of sex and gender in medical research : A review of resources." Biology of Sex Differences In: , Vol. 7, 46, 14.10.2016.
- "p16 Staining of Cervical Biopsies May Decrease the Frequency of Unnecessary Loop Electrosurgical Excision Procedures." Journal of Lower Genital Tract Disease In: , 05.02.2016.
- "Atopic Dermatitis Is Associated with Cervical High Risk Human Papillomavirus Infection." Journal of Lower Genital Tract Disease In: , Vol. 19, No. 4, 29.10.2015, p. 345-349.
- "Immunocytochemical analysis of the cervical pap smear." Methods in Molecular Biology In: , Vol. 1249, 2015, p. 203-212.
- "Immunocytochemical analysis of the cervical Pap smear." Cervical Cancer: Methods and Protocols. Springer New York, 2014. p. 203-212.
- "Faculty development initiatives to advance research literacy and evidence-based practice at CAM academic institutions." Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine In: , Vol. 20, No. 7, 01.07.2014, p. 563-570.
- "Reducing misclassification bias in cervical dysplasia risk factor analysis with p16-based diagnoses." Journal of Lower Genital Tract Disease In: , Vol. 18, No. 3, 2014, p. 266-272.
- "Health disparities between women with and without disabilities : A review of the research." Social Work in Public Health In: , Vol. 25, No. 3-4, 05.2010, p. 368-386.
- "Progress and priorities in the health of women and girls : A decade of advances and challenges." Journal of Women's Health In: , Vol. 19, No. 4, 01.04.2010, p. 671-680.
- "Women's health policies associated with obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, and smoking : A follow-up on the women's health report card." Women and Health In: , Vol. 48, No. 1, 07.2008, p. 103-122.
- "Impact of raloxifene or tamoxifen use on endometrial cancer risk : A population-based case-control study." Journal of Clinical Oncology In: , Vol. 26, No. 25, 2008, p. 4151-4159.
- "A retrospective case-control study of the use of hormone-related supplements and association with breast cancer." International Journal of Cancer In: , Vol. 120, No. 7, 01.04.2007, p. 1523-1528.
- "Pairwise combinations of estrogen metabolism genotypes in postmenopausal breast cancer etiology." Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention In: , Vol. 16, No. 3, 03.2007, p. 444-450.
- "Case-control study of postmenopausal hormone replacement therapy and endometrial cancer." American Journal of Epidemiology In: , Vol. 164, No. 8, 10.2006, p. 775-786.
- "Estrogen sulfation genes, hormone replacement therapy, and endometrial cancer risk." Journal of the National Cancer Institute In: , Vol. 98, No. 18, 20.09.2006, p. 1311-1320.
- "Relating health policy to women's health outcomes." Social Science and Medicine In: , Vol. 61, No. 8, 10.2005, p. 1776-1784.
- "A new questionnaire for urinary incontinence diagnosis in women : Development and testing." American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology In: , Vol. 192, No. 1, 01.2005, p. 66-73.
- "Making the grade on women's health : A national and state-by-state report card 2004." Preventing chronic disease In: , Vol. 2, No. 2, 142t, 2005.
- "The relationship of health care delivery system characteristics and legal factors to mode of delivery in women with prior cesarean section : A systematic review." Women's Health Issues In: , Vol. 14, No. 3, 05.2004, p. 94-103.
- "Safety of vaginal birth after cesarean : A systematic review." Obstetrics and Gynecology In: , Vol. 103, No. 3, 03.2004, p. 420-429.
- "Safety of vaginal birth after cesarean : A systematic review." Obstetrics and gynecology In: , Vol. 103, No. 3, 01.01.2004, p. 420-429.
- "Vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC)." Evidence report/technology assessment (Summary) In: , No. 71, 2003, p. 1-8.
- "Barriers to influenza immunization in a low-income urban population." American Journal of Preventive Medicine In: , Vol. 20, No. 1, 2001, p. 21-25.
- "Sources of prenatal care data and their association with birth outcomes of HIV-infected women." American Journal of Public Health In: , Vol. 90, No. 1, 01.2000, p. 118-121.
- "Interventions that help victims of domestic violence : A qualitative analysis of physicians' experiences." Journal of Family Practice In: , Vol. 49, No. 10, 2000, p. 889-895.
- "Educational content and the effectiveness of influenza vaccination reminders." Journal of General Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 14, No. 11, 1999, p. 695-698.
- "Evidence for magnesium sulfate as a tocolytic agent." Obstetrical and Gynecological Survey In: , Vol. 52, No. 10, 10.1997, p. 652-658.
- "Racial differences in survival from gynecologic cancer." Obstetrics and Gynecology In: , Vol. 88, No. 6, 12.1996, p. 914-918.
- "Efficacy of oral beta-agonist maintenance therapy in preterm labor : A meta-analysis." Obstetrics and Gynecology In: , Vol. 85, No. 2, 1995, p. 313-317.
- "HIV-infected health care professionals : Public opinion about testing, disclosing, and switching." Archives of Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 153, No. 3, 08.02.1993, p. 313-320.