Dr. Michael F. Chiang is a clinician-scientist who conducts research in the application of biomedical informatics to clinical ophthalmology. His clinical practice focuses on pediatric ophthalmology and adult strabismus. His research work involves telemedicine for diagnosis of retinopathy of prematurity and other ophthalmic diseases, implementation and evaluation of electronic health record systems, modeling of clinical workflow, and computer-based image analysis for clinical diagnosis.
He is currently Knowles Professor of Ophthalmology & Medical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology at OHSU, and leads the Oregon State Elks Center for Ophthalmic Informatics. His research has been continuously funded by the National Institutes of Health since 2003, and is also funded by the National Science Foundation and by several charitable foundations. His group has published over 130 peer-reviewed journal papers. He has mentored over 40 postdoctoral fellows, medical students, and graduate students, many of whom have won research awards and eventually moved to top academic programs throughout the country. He is always looking to collaborate with students, fellows, and clinicians who are nice, enthusiastic, and hard-working. Dr. Chiang received a B.S. in electrical engineering and biology from Stanford University in 1991, and an M.D. from Harvard Medical School and the Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology in 1996. He received an M.A. in biomedical informatics from Columbia University, where he was a National Library of Medicine fellow. He completed residency and pediatric ophthalmology fellowship training at the Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute. Before coming to OHSU in 2010, he spent over 9 years at Columbia University, where he was Anne S. Cohen Associate Professor of Ophthalmology and Biomedical Informatics, director of medical student education in ophthalmology, and director of the introductory graduate student course in biomedical informatics.
He is past Chair of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) Medical Information Technology Committee, and is a member of the AAO IRIS Registry Executive Committee and Chair of the AAO IRIS Registry Data Analytics Committee. He is Associate Editor for Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association (JAMIA) and Journal of the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology & Strabismus (JAAPOS), and serves on the Editorial Boards for Ophthalmology and Ophthalmology Retina. He has received numerous clinical, research, and teaching awards.Read more
- B.S., Stanford University, Stanford California 1991
- M.D., Harvard Medical School and Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology, Boston Massachusetts 1996
- Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute, Baltimore, MD, 2000
- Pediatric ophthalmology and adult strabismus - Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute, Baltimore MD, 2001
- Diplomate, American Board of Ophthalmology
- Diplomate (Clinical Informatics), American Board of Preventive Medicine
- "Adoption of electronic health records and perceptions of financial and clinical outcomes among ophthalmologists in the United States." JAMA Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 136, No. 2, 01.02.2018, p. 164-170.
- "Association of the presence of trainees with outpatient appointment times in an ophthalmology clinic." JAMA Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 136, No. 1, 01.01.2018, p. 20-26.
- "Biomedical informatics and data science : Evolving fields with significant overlap." Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association In: , Vol. 25, No. 1, ocx146, 01.01.2018, p. 2-3.
- "Secondary use of electronic health record data for clinical workflow analysis." Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association In: , Vol. 25, No. 1, ocx098, 01.01.2018, p. 40-46.
- "The 2016 American Academy of Ophthalmology IRIS Registry (Intelligent Research in Sight) Database : Characteristics and Methods." Ophthalmology In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Visual acuity recovery following traumatic hyphema in a pediatric population." Journal of AAPOS In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Performance Rates Measured in the American Academy of Ophthalmology IRIS Registry (Intelligent Research in Sight)." Ophthalmology In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Ophthalmic imaging in children : current practice patterns and perceived barriers." Journal of AAPOS In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Changes in relative position of choroidal versus retinal vessels in preterm infants." Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science In: , Vol. 58, No. 14, 01.12.2017, p. 6334-6341.
- "Time requirements for electronic health record use in an academic ophthalmology center." JAMA Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 135, No. 11, 01.11.2017, p. 1250-1257.
- "Handheld optical coherence tomography angiography and ultra-wide-field optical coherence tomography in retinopathy of prematurity." JAMA Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 135, No. 9, 01.09.2017, p. 977-981.
- "Reply." Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 124, No. 5, 01.05.2017, p. e46-e47.
- "Plus Disease in Retinopathy of Prematurity : Diagnostic Trends in 2016 Versus 2007." American Journal of Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 176, 01.04.2017, p. 70-76.
- "Perspectives and uses of the electronic health record among US pediatricians : A national survey." Journal of Ambulatory Care Management In: , Vol. 40, No. 1, 2017, p. 59-68.
- "Assessment of a Tele-education System to Enhance Retinopathy of Prematurity Training by International Ophthalmologists-in-Training in Mexico." Ophthalmology In: , 05.12.2016.
- "Retinopathy of Prematurity : Imaging in retinopathy of prematurity: where are we, and where are we going?" Journal of AAPOS In: , Vol. 20, No. 6, 01.12.2016, p. 474-476.
- "Influence of computer-generated mosaic photographs on retinopathy of prematurity diagnosis and management." JAMA Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 134, No. 11, 01.11.2016, p. 1283-1289.
- "Plus Disease in Retinopathy of Prematurity : Improving Diagnosis by Ranking Disease Severity and Using Quantitative Image Analysis." Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 123, No. 11, 01.11.2016, p. 2345-2351.
- "Plus Disease in Retinopathy of Prematurity : A Continuous Spectrum of Vascular Abnormality as a Basis of Diagnostic Variability." Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 123, No. 11, 01.11.2016, p. 2338-2344.
- "Toward a severity index for ROP : An unsupervised approach." 2016 38th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBC 2016. Vol. 2016-October Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc., 2016. p. 1312-1315 7590948.
- "Outer Retinal Structural Alternation and Segmentation Errors in Optical Coherence Tomography Imaging in Patients with a History of Retinopathy of Prematurity." American Journal of Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 166, 01.06.2016, p. 169-180.
- "Expert diagnosis of plus disease in retinopathy of prematurity from computer-based image analysis." JAMA Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 134, No. 6, 01.06.2016, p. 651-657.
- "Diagnostic Discrepancies in Retinopathy of Prematurity Classification." Ophthalmology In: , 14.03.2016.
- "Practice Patterns in Retinopathy of Prematurity Treatment for Disease Milder Than Recommended by Guidelines." American Journal of Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 163, 01.03.2016, p. 1-10.
- "Science and art in retinopathy of prematurity diagnosis." Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 254, No. 1, 01.01.2016, p. 201-202.
- "Ocular involvement in hemophagocytic syndrome : A novel funduscopic manifestation and review of the literature." Retinal Cases and Brief Reports In: , Vol. 10, No. 4, 2016, p. 345-348.
- "Clinic Workflow Simulations using Secondary EHR Data." AMIA ... Annual Symposium proceedings. AMIA Symposium In: , Vol. 2016, 2016, p. 647-656.
- "Dealing with inter-expert variability in retinopathy of prematurity : A machine learning approach." Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine In: , Vol. 122, No. 1, 01.10.2015, p. 1-15.
- "Influence of Fluorescein Angiography on the Diagnosis and Management of Retinopathy of Prematurity." Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 122, No. 8, 01.08.2015, p. 1601-1608.
- "Analysis of shape assumptions in 3D reconstruction of retina from multiple fundus images." Proceedings - International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging. Vol. 2015-July IEEE Computer Society, 2015. p. 1502-1505 7164162.