My main research interest focuses on end-of-life and palliative care in adults and older adults with end-stage liver disease patients and their families in particular. My prior research has looked at the strain family members experience when making life sustaining treatment decisions for an older adult, the process over time of making life sustaining treatment decisions from patients’, family members’, and health care professionals’ perspective, and pain and other symptoms experienced by patients with end-stage liver disease at the end of life. This work has evolved into two other areas of research a) symptoms and quality of life in patients with liver cancer and b) specific contributions to palliative care by intensive care unit nurses in the context of interdisciplinary intensive care practice. My work is multidisciplinary and includes expert collaborators from nursing, medicine, psychology, and medical anthropology. These collaborators come from OHSU and other health care systems (VA Portland Health Care System). The goal of my research is to develop cost effective interventions to improve end of life and palliative care provided to adults and older adults and their families across health care settings.
- M.S., School of Nursing, Oregon Health & Science University Oregon United States 1996
- B.S.N., Washington State University, Pullman Washington United States 1994
- Ph.D., School of Nursing, Oregon Health & Science University Oregon United States 2001
- R.N., Sankt Lukas Stiftelsen’s School of Nursing, Hellerup Denmark 1982
- 2003 John A. Hartford Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship, School of Nursing, University of Washington
- "Living with hepatocellular carcinoma near the end of life : Family caregivers' perspectives." Oncology Nursing Forum In: , Vol. 44, No. 5, 01.09.2017, p. 562-570.
- "Colorectal Cancer Liver Metastasis : Evolving Paradigms and Future Directions." CMGH Cellular and Molecular Gastroenterology and Hepatology In: , Vol. 3, No. 2, 01.03.2017, p. 163-173.
- "The experience of veterans with hepatitis C and acupuncture : A mixed methods pilot study." European Journal of Integrative Medicine In: , Vol. 10, 01.02.2017, p. 8-18.
- "Background and design of the symptom burden in end-stage liver disease patient-caregiver dyad study." Research in Nursing and Health In: , 2017.
- "Family perspectives on overall care in the intensive care unit." Nursing Research In: , Vol. 65, No. 6, 01.11.2016, p. 446-454.
- "Medical record quality assessments of palliative care for intensive care unit patients do they match the perspectives of nurses and families?" Annals of the American Thoracic Society In: , Vol. 13, No. 5, 01.05.2016, p. 690-698.
- "How experienced intensive care nurses communicate with families about shift to end-of-life care." Evidence-based nursing In: , Vol. 19, No. 2, 01.04.2016, p. 48.
- "Relationship Quality in Non-Cognitively Impaired Mother–Daughter Care Dyads : A Systematic Review." Journal of Family Nursing In: , Vol. 21, No. 4, 01.11.2015, p. 551-578.
- "Symptom distress in patients with end-stage liver disease toward the end of life." Gastroenterology nursing : the official journal of the Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates In: , Vol. 38, No. 3, 01.08.2015, p. 201-210.
- "Patients with hepatocellular carcinoma near the end of life : A longitudinal qualitative study of their illness experiences." Cancer Nursing In: , Vol. 38, No. 4, 02.07.2015, p. E19-E27.
- "'I still don't know diddly' : A longitudinal qualitative study of patients' knowledge and distress while undergoing evaluation of incidental pulmonary nodules." npj Primary Care Respiratory Medicine In: , Vol. 25, 15028, 16.04.2015.
- "Feasibility and acceptability of group acupuncture in veterans with hepatitis C : A pilot study." Medical Acupuncture In: , Vol. 26, No. 4, 01.08.2014, p. 208-214.
- "Liver transplantation in older adults." Journal of Gerontological Nursing In: , Vol. 40, No. 9, 2014, p. 8-13.
- "The power of the liver transplant waiting list : A case presentation." American Journal of Critical Care In: , Vol. 23, No. 6, 2014, p. 510-515.
- "Pain and self-care behaviours in adult patients with end-stage liver disease : A longitudinal description." Journal of Palliative Care In: , Vol. 30, No. 1, 2014, p. 32-40.
- "Living through the end : The phenomenon of dying at home." Palliative and Supportive Care In: , Vol. 13, No. 2, 21.10.2013, p. 125-134.
- "Communication by nurses in the intensive care unit : Qualitative analysis of domains of patient-centered care." American Journal of Critical Care In: , Vol. 21, No. 6, 11.2012, p. 410-418.
- "Life-sustaining treatment decisions in the ICU for patients with ESLD : A prospective investigation." Research in Nursing and Health In: , Vol. 35, No. 5, 10.2012, p. 518-532.
- "End-of-life care for rural-dwelling older adults and their primary family caregivers." Research in gerontological nursing In: , Vol. 5, No. 1, 01.2012, p. 6-15.
- "Discharge planning for palliative care patients : a qualitative analysis." Journal of Palliative Medicine In: , Vol. 14, No. 1, 01.2011, p. 65-69.
- "End-Stage Liver Disease : Challenges and Practice Implications." Nursing Clinics of North America In: , Vol. 45, No. 3, 09.2010, p. 411-426.
- "Nurses' perceptions of end-of-life care after multiple interventions for improvement." American Journal of Critical Care In: , Vol. 18, No. 3, 05.2009, p. 263-271.
- "Innovations in geriatric nursing curricula : Experiences from the John A. Hartford Foundation Centers of Geriatric Nursing Excellence." Nursing Outlook In: , Vol. 54, No. 4, 07.2006, p. 219-225.
- "Family caregivers making life-sustaining treatment decisions : factors associated with role strain and ease." Journal of gerontological nursing. In: , Vol. 31, No. 11, 11.2005, p. 28-35.
- "Role strain and ease in decision-making to withdraw or withhold life support for elderly relatives." Journal of Nursing Scholarship In: , Vol. 36, No. 3, 2004, p. 233-238.