Dr. Ganzini joined the OHSU Department of Psychiatry faculty immediately upon completion of a gerontology fellowship at the Portland VA Medical Center (PVAMC) in 1989. She also joined the psychiatry staff at the Portland VA as Director of Consult-Liaison Psychiatry (1989-98, 2015-current). From 1994-97, she was director of the OHSU Medical Student Clerkship in Psychiatry, and from 1996-2001, she was Associate Director of the OHSU Psychiatry Residency Training Program. The department honored her with the Psychiatry Residency Teaching Award in 1991 and the Distinguished Service Award in 1996 in recognition of her contributions to the residency training program. She was awarded the Nancy C.A. Roeske, M.D., Certificate of Recognition for Excellence in Medical Student Education by the American Psychiatric Association in 1997 and the Faculty Development Award, in 2003. She was Director of the Health Services Research and Development Enhancement Award Program at the Portland VAMC between 2006 and 2013. She is currently the Associate Director of the HSR&D Center of Innovation.
Dr. Ganzini's research interests are centered in the areas of geriatric mental health, end-of-life care issues, and suicide. Dr. Ganzini has published extensively in peer-reviewed journals, invited articles, book chapters, editorials and commentaries on the topics of Oregon's Death with Dignity Act , physician aid-in-dying, assessing mental health in the terminally ill, and medical ethics among psychiatrists and health care providers.Read more
- B.A., Yale University, Portland Oregon 1978
- M.P.H., Oregon Health & Science University, Portland Oregon 2003
- Internal Medicine Resident, OHSU, 1983-84 Psychiatry Resident, OHSU, 1984-87 Chief Resident, Psychiatry, OHSU, 1986-87
- Gerontology Fellow, PVAMC, 1987-89
- Certification in Geriatric Psychiatry, 1991, 2000, 2010 American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- "Improvements in hospice utilization among patients with advanced-stage lung cancer in an integrated health care system." Cancer In: , 2017.
- "Longitudinal changes in depression symptoms and survival among patients with lung cancer : A national cohort assessment." Journal of Clinical Oncology In: , Vol. 34, No. 33, 20.11.2016, p. 3984-3991.
- "Longitudinal assessment of distress among veterans with incidental pulmonary nodules." Annals of the American Thoracic Society In: , Vol. 13, No. 11, 01.11.2016, p. 1983-1991.
- "Depression symptom trends and health domains among lung cancer patients in the CanCORS study." Lung Cancer In: , Vol. 100, 01.10.2016, p. 102-109.
- "The challenge of new legislation on physician-assisted death." JAMA Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 176, No. 4, 01.04.2016, p. 427-428.
- "Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of methylphenidate for the treatment of depression in SSRI-treated cancer patients receiving palliative care." Psycho-Oncology In: , 2016.
- "Primary care providers and a system problem a qualitative study of clinicians caring for patients with incidental pulmonary nodules." Chest In: , Vol. 148, No. 6, 01.12.2015, p. 1422-1429.
- "Negative Pressure Pulmonary Edema after Electroconvulsive Therapy." Journal of ECT In: , 17.11.2015.
- "Military Veterans' Experiences with Suicidal Ideation : Implications for Intervention and Prevention." Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior In: , Vol. 45, No. 4, 01.08.2015, p. 399-414.
- "'I still don't know diddly' : A longitudinal qualitative study of patients' knowledge and distress while undergoing evaluation of incidental pulmonary nodules." npj Primary Care Respiratory Medicine In: , Vol. 25, 15028, 16.04.2015.
- "Decision making among Veterans with incidental pulmonary nodules : A qualitative analysis." Respiratory Medicine In: , Vol. 109, No. 4, 01.04.2015, p. 532-539.
- "Predictors of pursuit of physician-assisted death." Journal of Pain and Symptom Management In: , Vol. 49, No. 3, 01.03.2015, p. 555-561.
- "Identifying Predictors of Hospice Eligibility in Patients With Parkinson Disease." American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine In: , Vol. 32, No. 1, 19.02.2015, p. 29-33.
- "Distress and patient-centered communication among veterans with incidental (not screen-detected) pulmonary nodules : A cohort study." Annals of the American Thoracic Society In: , Vol. 12, No. 2, 01.02.2015, p. 184-192.
- "Interventions that may reduce depressive symptoms among prostate cancer patients : A systematic review and meta-analysis." Psycho-Oncology In: , 2015.
- "Association of patient characteristics with chemotherapy receipt among depressed and non-depressed patients with non-small cell lung cancer." Psycho-Oncology In: , Vol. 23, No. 11, 01.11.2014, p. 1318-1322.
- "Feasibility and acceptability of group acupuncture in veterans with hepatitis C : A pilot study." Medical Acupuncture In: , Vol. 26, No. 4, 01.08.2014, p. 208-214.
- "Family members' views on the benefits of harp music vigils for terminally-ill or dying loved ones." Palliative and Supportive Care In: , Vol. 13, No. 1, 13.02.2014, p. 41-44.
- "Psychiatric evaluations for individuals requesting assisted death in Washington and Oregon should not be mandatory." General Hospital Psychiatry In: , Vol. 36, No. 1, 01.2014, p. 10-12.
- "Treatment Receipt and Outcomes among Lung Cancer Patients with Depression." Clinical Oncology In: , Vol. 26, No. 1, 01.2014, p. 25-31.
- "Comparison of health service use among veterans with methamphetamine versus alcohol use disorders." Journal of Addiction Medicine In: , Vol. 8, No. 1, 2014, p. 47-52.
- "Musical Hallucinations Successfully Treated with Antipsychotic Medications : Three Case Reports." Psychosomatics In: , Vol. 55, No. 2, 2014, p. 191-193.
- "Depression : Cause or Complication of Cognitive Decline?" Dementia. Wiley Blackwell, 2013. p. 67-76.
- "Trust is the basis for effective suicide risk screening and assessment in veterans." Journal of General Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 28, No. 9, 09.2013, p. 1215-1221.
- "What the heck is a "nodule"? : A qualitative study of Veterans with pulmonary nodules." Annals of the American Thoracic Society In: , Vol. 10, No. 4, 08.2013, p. 330-335.
- "Brief assessment for suicidal ideation in OEF/OIF veterans with positive depression screens." General Hospital Psychiatry In: , Vol. 35, No. 3, 05.2013, p. 272-278.
- "Communication by nurses in the intensive care unit : Qualitative analysis of domains of patient-centered care." American Journal of Critical Care In: , Vol. 21, No. 6, 11.2012, p. 410-418.
- "Delirium and decisional incapacity in veterans with schizophrenia and medical illness." General Hospital Psychiatry In: , Vol. 34, No. 5, 09.2012, p. 506-509.
- "Medical student views on interactions with pharmaceutical representatives." Academic Psychiatry In: , Vol. 36, No. 3, 05.2012, p. 183-187.
- "Sleep quality and its association with delirium among veterans enrolled in Hospice." American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry In: , Vol. 20, No. 4, 04.2012, p. 317-326.