Dr. Hammer has expertise in Occupational Health Psychology and specializes in the health effects of supportive supervision at work, and on the health consequences of work-family conflict. She has extensive experience in designing, implementing, and evaluating worksite interventions and supervisor training. Her research focuses on ways in which organizations can help reduce work and family stress and improve positive spillover by facilitating both formal and informal workplace supports.
Dr. Hammer is also an Associate Director of the Oregon Healthy Workforce Center, one of six Total Worker Health® centers of excellence funded by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. She was the Principal Investigator of the Phase I and Phase II Work, Family & Health Network (WFHN) Portland State University projects involving developing and evaluating a work-family intervention, namely Family Supportive Supervisor Behavior Training.
Areas of interest
- Work-Family Conflict and Stress
- Occupational Stress
- Occupational Safety and Health
- Supervisor Supportive Training
- Workplace Interventions
- Ph.D., Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green Ohio United States 1991
Honors and awards
- 2014 Kanter Awards for Excellence in Work-Family Research—First Place Winner out of 2500 for most influential work-family article in 2014. Kelly, E. L., Moen, P., Oakes, M., Fan, W., Okechukwu, C., Davis, K. D., Hammer, L. B., Kossek, E. E., King, R. B., Hanson, G., Mierzwa, F., Casper, L. (2014) Changing Work and Work-Family Conflict: Evidence from the Work, Family, and Health Network. American Sociological Review. Vol. 79(3) 485–516.
- 2013 Recipient of the Branford Price Millar Award for Excellence in Research Scholarship at Portland State University
- 2013 Elected as a Fellow of the American Psychological Association
- 2013 Elected as a Fellow of the Society of Industrial Organizational Psychology
- 2012 Kanter Awards for Excellence in Work-Family Research--article among top 6 Finalist (out of 2,500) for most influential work-family articles in 2011. (Hammer, L. B., Kossek, E. E., Anger, W. K., Bodner, T., & Zimmerman, K. 2011.Clarifying work-family intervention processes: The roles of work-family conflict and family supportive supervisor behaviors. Journal of Applied Psychology, 96, 134-150.)
- 2012 Portland State University Civic Engagement Award with Donald Truxillo and Todd Bodner for work on NIOSH-TWH research project
- 2011 Distinguished Contribution to Occupational Health Psychology Award, Work, Stress, and Health Conference and Society for Occupational Health Psychology
- 2009 Columbia-Willamette Chapter of Sigma Xi, Behavioral Sciences Outstanding Research Award
Memberships and associations
- Academy of Management (1991-present)
- American Psychological Association (APA) Fellow Status (1991-present)
- APA Military Psychology, Division 19
- APA Health Psychology, Division 38
- APA Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology Fellow Status, Division 14 (1991-present)
- Society for Occupational Health Psychology, Founding President (2004-2005)
- Society for Occupational Health Psychology, Member (2004-present)
- "The Psychosocial Implications of Managing Work and Family Caregiving Roles : Gender Differences Among Information Technology Professionals." Journal of Family Issues In: , Vol. 38, No. 11, 01.08.2017, p. 1495-1519.
- "Finding Time Over Time : Longitudinal Links Between Employed Mothers' Work-Family Conflict and Time Profiles." Journal of Family Psychology In: , 09.02.2017.
- "The moderating effect of perceived organizational support on the relationships between organizational justice and objective measures of cardiovascular health." European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology In: , 13.01.2017, p. 1-12.
- "The work-family interface in the United States." The Work-Family Interface in Global Context. Taylor and Francis, 2017. p. 103-117.
- "Work-family conflict and employee sleep : Evidence from IT workers in the work, family and health study." Sleep In: , Vol. 39, No. 10, 01.10.2016, p. 1871-1882.
- "Weight control intervention for truck drivers : The SHIFT Randomized controlled trial, United States." American Journal of Public Health In: , Vol. 106, No. 9, 01.09.2016, p. 1698-1706.
- "Filling the holes : Work schedulers as job crafters of employment practice in longterm health care." Industrial and Labor Relations Review In: , Vol. 69, No. 4, 01.08.2016, p. 961-990.
- "The influence of family-supportive supervisor training on employee job performance and attitudes : An organizational work-family intervention." Journal of Occupational Health Psychology In: , Vol. 21, No. 3, 01.07.2016, p. 296-308.
- "Effects on cigarette consumption of a work-family supportive organisational intervention : 6-month results from the work, family and health network study." Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health In: , 25.05.2016.
- "Gender, polychronicity, and the work–family interface : is a preference for multitasking beneficial?" Community, Work and Family In: , 30.04.2016, p. 1-20.
- "Linking Workplace Aggression to Employee Well-Being and Work : The Moderating Role of Family-Supportive Supervisor Behaviors (FSSB)." Journal of Business and Psychology In: , 21.03.2016, p. 1-18.
- "Marginal structural modelling of associations of occupational injuries with voluntary and involuntary job loss among nursing home workers." Occupational and Environmental Medicine In: , Vol. 73, No. 3, 01.03.2016, p. 175-182.
- "Combining formal and informal caregiving roles : The psychosocial implications of double- and triple-duty care." Journals of Gerontology - Series B Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences In: , Vol. 71, No. 2, 01.03.2016, p. 201-211.
- "Sleep, dietary, and exercise behavioral clusters among truck drivers with obesity." Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine In: , Vol. 58, No. 3, 01.03.2016, p. 314-321.
- "Intervention effects on safety compliance and citizenship behaviors : Evidence from the work, family, and health study." Journal of Applied Psychology In: , Vol. 101, No. 2, 01.02.2016, p. 190-208.
- "Latent profiles of perceived time adequacy for paid work, parenting, and partner roles." Journal of Family Psychology In: , Vol. 29, No. 5, 01.10.2015, p. 788-798.
- "Work-family conflict, cardiometabolic risk, and sleep duration in nursing employees." Journal of Occupational Health Psychology In: , Vol. 20, No. 4, 01.10.2015, p. 420-433.
- "Manager Characteristics and Employee Job Insecurity around a Merger Announcement : The Role of Status and Crossover." Sociological Quarterly In: , Vol. 56, No. 3, 01.06.2015, p. 558-580.
- "Parents' daily time with their children : A workplace intervention." Pediatrics In: , Vol. 135, No. 5, 01.05.2015, p. 875-882.
- "Effectiveness of total worker health interventions." Journal of Occupational Health Psychology In: , Vol. 20, No. 2, 01.04.2015, p. 226-247.
- "A workplace intervention improves sleep : Results from the randomized controlled Work, Family, and Health Study." Sleep Health In: , Vol. 1, No. 1, 01.03.2015, p. 55-65.
- "Effects of a workplace intervention targeting psychosocial risk factors on safety and health outcomes." BioMed Research International In: , Vol. 2015, 836967, 2015.
- "Daily positive spillover and crossover from mothers' work to youth health." Journal of Family Psychology In: , Vol. 28, No. 6, 01.12.2014, p. 897-907.
- "Designing work, family & health organizational change initiatives." Organizational Dynamics In: , Vol. 43, No. 1, 01.2014, p. 53-63.
- "Work-family conflict, family-supportive supervisor behaviors (FSSB), and sleep outcomes." Journal of Occupational Health Psychology In: , Vol. 19, No. 2, 2014, p. 155-167.
- "Changing Work and Work-Family Conflict : Evidence from the Work, Family, and Health Network." American Sociological Review In: , Vol. 79, No. 3, 2014, p. 485-516.
- "Safety, health, and well-being of municipal utility and construction workers." Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine In: , Vol. 56, No. 7, 2014, p. 771-778.
- "Total worker health and work-life stress." Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine In: , Vol. 55, No. 12 SUPPL., 12.2013.
- "Measurement development and validation of the family supportive supervisor behavior short-form (FSSB-SF)." Journal of Occupational Health Psychology In: , Vol. 18, No. 3, 07.2013, p. 285-296.
- "Low income families and occupational health : Implications of economic stress for work-family conflict research and practice." The Psychology of the Recession on the Workplace. Edward Elgar Publishing, 2013. p. 308-323.