My primary goal in nursing education is to prepare students to become excellent clinical thinkers through the integration of theory, research, and pedagogy. To that end, my secondary goal is to support, collaborate with, and mentor faculty colleagues to do same. Soon after my own baccalaureate education, I recognized that my thinking had been transformed. To understand that transformation and be able to foster it in students has been the driving passion of my practice as an educator and researcher in clinical judgment, employing strategies that support learning and the development of clinical judgment, such as active learning, case studies, and simulation.
My philosophy of teaching is rooted in my understanding of what it means to facilitate learning. Learners come with a wealth of background of life experiences and learning. My role as facilitator is to create a learning community from and in which everyone, including me, can learn from each other, and to stimulate that learning in ways that engage learners from diverse backgrounds. As an extension of learners from diverse backgrounds, I strongly support and facilitate interprofessional education.
My desire to continuously improve my own and others’ education practice has led me to build a program of nursing education research. I was a pioneer in simulation research, studying simulation’s impact on students’ clinical judgment development and have recently expanded my research to explore clinical judgment development of new graduate nurses. Studies have often involved collaboration with research partners, including national and international.Read more
- B.S., University of Oregon School of Nursing (now OHSU), Portland Oregon United States 1971
- M.S., University of California, San Franciso, San Francisco California United States 1976
- Ed.D., Portland State University, Portland Oregon United States 2005
Honors and awards
- Fulbright Research Scholar, Edinburgh Napier University, UK--May - September, 2018
- "Cultural adaptation and validation of the Lasater Clinical Judgment Rubric in nursing students in Spain." Nurse Education Today In: , Vol. 64, 01.05.2018, p. 71-78.
- "Snapshots of Simulation : Innovative Strategies Used by International Educators to Enhance Simulation Learning Experiences for Health Care Students." Clinical Simulation in Nursing In: , Vol. 16, 01.03.2018, p. 8-14.
- "Case Studies of Interprofessional Education Initiatives From Five Countries." Journal of Nursing Scholarship In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Who's responsible for publication ethics? All of us." Nurse Education Today In: , Vol. 51, 01.04.2017, p. 108.
- "Collaborative falls prevention : Interprofessional team formation, implementation, and evaluation." Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing In: , Vol. 47, No. 12, 01.12.2016, p. 545-550.
- "Simulation debriefing for clinical judgment development : A concept analysis." Nurse Education Today In: , Vol. 45, 01.10.2016, p. 42-47.
- "Falls prevention education : Interprofessional training to enhance collaborative practice." Gerontology and Geriatrics Education In: , 21.08.2016, p. 1-12.
- "An Interprofessional Approach to Reducing the Risk of Falls Through Enhanced Collaborative Practice." Journal of the American Geriatrics Society In: , Vol. 64, No. 8, 01.08.2016, p. 1701-1707.
- "A framework to support preceptors' evaluation and development of new nurses' clinical judgment." Nurse Education in Practice In: , Vol. 19, 01.07.2016, p. 84-90.
- "The viewing room : A lens for developing ethical comportment." Nurse Education in Practice In: , Vol. 16, No. 1, 01.01.2016, p. 119-124.
- "Population health and nurse education - time to step-up." Nurse Education Today In: , 2016.
- "Evaluating the clinical judgment of newly hired staff nurses." Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing In: , Vol. 46, No. 12, 01.12.2015, p. 563-571.
- "The reading room : Exploring the use of literature as a strategy for integrating threshold concepts into nursing curricula." Nurse Education in Practice In: , Vol. 15, No. 6, 01.11.2015, p. 549-555.
- "Interprofessional Education : Finding a Place to Start." Nurse Educator In: , Vol. 40, No. 5, 07.09.2015, p. 249-253.
- "Teaching : Aligning faculty member and resident perceptions." Clinical Teacher In: , Vol. 12, No. 2, 01.04.2015, p. 88-93.
- "Reducing incivility in the workplace : Results of a three-part educational intervention." Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing In: , Vol. 46, No. 1, 01.01.2015, p. 15-24.
- "Connecting in distance mentoring : Communication practices that work." Nurse Education Today In: , Vol. 34, No. 4, 04.2014, p. 501-506.
- "Utilizing reflective practice to obtain competency in neonatal nursing." Newborn and Infant Nursing Reviews In: , Vol. 14, No. 1, 03.2014, p. 34-38.
- "Role modeling clinical judgment for an unfolding older adult simulation." Journal of Nursing Education In: , Vol. 53, No. 5, 2014, p. 257-264.
- "NLN/Jeffries Simulation Framework state of the science project : Participant construct." Clinical Simulation in Nursing In: , Vol. 10, No. 7, 2014, p. 363-372.
- "Geriatrics in simulation : Role modeling and clinical judgment effect." Nursing Education Perspectives In: , Vol. 33, No. 3, 05.2012, p. 176-180.
- "A digital toolkit to implement and manage a multisite study." Journal of Nursing Education In: , Vol. 51, No. 3, 03.2012, p. 127-132.
- "Assessing the reliability, validity, and use of the lasater clinical judgment rubric : Three approaches." Journal of Nursing Education In: , Vol. 51, No. 2, 02.2012, p. 66-73.
- "Global Partnerships for Professional Development : A Cambodian Exemplar." Journal of Professional Nursing In: , Vol. 28, No. 1, 01.2012, p. 62-68.
- "Clinical judgment : The last frontier for evaluation." Nurse Education in Practice In: , Vol. 11, No. 2, 03.2011, p. 86-92.
- "Are we having an identity crisis?" Journal of Nursing Education In: , Vol. 49, No. 12, 12.2010, p. 663.
- "Learning activities to enhance research literacy in a CAM college curriculum." Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine In: , Vol. 15, No. 4, 07.2009, p. 46-54.
- "Nursing students' self-assessment of their simulation experiences." Nursing Education Perspectives In: , Vol. 30, No. 2, 03.2009, p. 105-108.
- "A collaborative project to apply and evaluate the clinical judgment Model through simulation." Nursing Education Perspectives In: , Vol. 30, No. 2, 03.2009, p. 99-104.
- "Perceived predictive value of the Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) in anesthesiology resident selection." Journal of Clinical Anesthesia In: , Vol. 21, No. 1, 02.2009, p. 38-43.