I have studied collaboration between nurses and physicians, end-of-life issues and decision making in adult ICUs, palliative care, and interprofessional teamwork. Educationally I have been involved in directing the SON PhD program several times and am deeply committed to the success of that program. Currently I am supporting faculty writing - both for publication and for funding. I also undertake projects as requested by the Dean.
- A.A.S., Northern Essex Community College, Lawrence Massachusetts 1975
- Ph.D., University of Rochester School of Nursing, Rochester New York 1990
- B.A., Reed College, Portland Oregon 1964
- B.S., Alfred University, Alfred New York 1981
- M.S., University of Rochester, New York New York 1984
Honors and awards
- Western Institute of Nursing, Distinguished Research Lectureship Award, 2015
- Faculty Mentoring Award, OHSU Women in Medicine, May 2014
- Distinguished Nurse Researcher, March 2014, Hospice & Palliative Nurses Association
- 100 Inspiring Nursing Professors to Watch in 2014, listed by Online LPN to RN
- Co-chair, NIH NRCS meeting February 2011
- Board of Directors, American Academy of Nursing, 2010-2012
- Executive Committee, Center for Ethics in Health Care, 2009-2012
- Senior Scholar, Center for Ethics in Health Care, OHSU, 2009, 2012-
- 2009 July. Oregon Health & Science Golden Rose Award
- 2009 Inductee, Western Academy of Nurses
- 2007 Circle of Excellence in Research, American Association of Critical-Care Nurses
- 2006- Professor Emerita, University of Rochester School of Nursing
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing, 2002
- Distinguished Nurse Researcher Award, New York State Nurses Association, 1997
Memberships and associations
- American Academy of Nursing, 2002-present
- AAN Fellow Selection Committee member 2005-2007, co-chair 2007-2011, advisor 2012-2014
- AAN Board of Directors, 2010-2012
- Eastern Nursing Research Society, 1990-2006; Board Member 1999-2001
- Hospice & Palliative Nurses Association, 2008-present; co-chair Annual Scientific Sub-Committee 2016-1018
- Western Institute of Nursing, 2005-present; Board member 2007-2013
Hansen, L., Press, N., Rosenkranz, S. J., Baggs, J. G., Kendall, J., Kerber, A. Williamson, A., & Chesnutt, M. S. (2012). Life-Sustaining treatment decision making in the ICU for patients with ESLD: A prospective investigation. Research in Nursing & Health, 35, 518-532.
Baggs, J. G., Schmitt, M. H., Prendergast, T. J., Norton, S. A., Sellers, C. R., Quinn, J. R., & Press, N. (2012). Who is attending? End-of-life decision making in the intensive care unit. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 15, 56-62. doi:10.108, PMID:22233466, PMC3304246
Quinn, J. R., Schmitt, M., Baggs, J. G., Norton, S. A., Dombeck, M. T., Sellers, C. R. (2012). Family member informal roles in end-of-life decision making in adult ICUs. American Journal of Critical Care, 21, 43-51. doi: 10.4037, PMID:22210699, PMC3615559.
Izumi, S., Baggs, J. G., & Knafl, K. A., (2010). Quality nursing care for hospitalized patients with advanced illness: Concept development. Research in Nursing & Health, 33, 299-315.
Baggs, J. G., Broome, M., Dougherty, M., Freda, M., & Kearney, M. (2008). Blinding in peer review: The preferences of reviewers for nursing journals. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 64(2), 131-138.
Baggs, J. G., Norton, S. A., Schmitt, M., Dombeck, M., Sellers, C. R., Quinn, J. R. (2007). ICU cultures and end-of-life decision making. Journal of Critical Care, 22, 159-168
Solomon, D. N., Hansen, L., Baggs, J. G., & Lyons, K. (2015). Relationship quality in non-cognitively impaired mother-daughter care dyads: A systematic review. Journal of Family Nursing, 21, 551-578.
Baggs, J. G. (2015). Collaborative care and interprofessional education: A 30-year research journey. Communicating Nursing Research, 48, 1-17.
Baggs, J. G., Norton, S. A., Schmitt, M. H., & Sellers, C. R. (2004). The dying patient in the ICU: Role of the interdisciplinary team. Critical Care Clinics of North America, 20, 525-40.
Baggs, J. G. (2002). End-of-life care for older adults in ICUs. Annual Review of Nursing Research, 20, 181-229.