Dr. Alumkal specializes in caring for men with all stages of prostate cancer. He has advanced training in medical oncology (treatment of cancer with hormone therapy, chemotherapy or biological agents). Dr. Alumkal enjoys the opportunity to develop long-term relationships with his patients and their families and to travel on their individual journeys with them.
Dr. Alumkal spent most of his childhood and early adulthood in Texas. Later, he moved to Baltimore, Maryland, for his medical oncology training at Johns Hopkins University. He and his family moved to Oregon in late 2006, and he is thrilled to be living in the Pacific Northwest. In his spare time, Dr. Alumkal enjoys spending time with his wife Kathleen Kemmer, who is also a medical oncologist, and his young son Nicholas and daughter Catherine (Cate). When he is not in the laboratory trying to improve our understanding of prostate cancer or spending time with his family, he enjoys reading, hiking and running.Read more
- M.D., Baylor College of Medicine, 0 0
- University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center, 2002
- Fellowship in medical oncology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2006
- American Board of Internal Medicine (internal medicine), 2001
Memberships and associations
- American College of Physicians
- "Radiographic progression with nonrising PSA in metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer : post hoc analysis of PREVAIL." Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases In: , 24.01.2017.
- "Should Chemotherapy Be Used in Nonmetastatic Prostate Cancer?" JAMA oncology In: , Vol. 3, No. 1, 01.01.2017, p. 11-12.
- "Falls and Frailty in Prostate Cancer Survivors : Current, Past, and Never Users of Androgen Deprivation Therapy." Journal of the American Geriatrics Society In: , 2017.
- "Effect of Visceral Disease Site on Outcomes in Patients With Metastatic Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer Treated With Enzalutamide in the PREVAIL Trial." Clinical Genitourinary Cancer In: , 14.12.2016.
- "Targeting Adaptive Pathways in Metastatic Treatment-Resistant Prostate Cancer : Update on the Stand Up 2 Cancer/Prostate Cancer Foundation–Supported West Coast Prostate Cancer Dream Team." European Urology Focus In: , Vol. 2, No. 5, 01.12.2016, p. 469-471.
- "Raising the bar for therapeutic trials in advanced prostate cancer." Journal of Clinical Oncology In: , Vol. 34, No. 25, 01.09.2016, p. 2958-2960.
- "Early evidence of anti-PD-1 activity in enzalutamide-resistant prostate cancer." Oncotarget In: , Vol. 7, No. 33, 01.08.2016, p. 52810-52817.
- "Cellular androgen content influences enzalutamide agonism of F877L mutant androgen receptor." Oncotarget In: , Vol. 7, No. 26, 2016, p. 40690.
- "Phase 2 Study of the Safety and Antitumor Activity of Apalutamide (ARN-509), a Potent Androgen Receptor Antagonist, in the High-risk Nonmetastatic Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer Cohort." European Urology In: , 2016.
- "Epigenomic profiling of prostate cancer identifies differentially methylated genes in TMPRSS2 : ERG fusion-positive versus fusion-negative tumors." Clinical Epigenetics In: , Vol. 7, No. 1, 128, 12.12.2015.
- "Intermittent chemotherapy as a platform for testing novel agents in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer : A Department of Defense Prostate Cancer Clinical Trials Consortium randomized phase II trial of intermittent docetaxel with prednisone with or without maintenance GM-CSF." Clinical Genitourinary Cancer In: , Vol. 13, No. 3, 349, 01.06.2015, p. e191-e198.
- "AZD3514, an oral selective androgen receptor down-regulator in patients with castration-resistant prostate cancer - Results of two parallel first-in-human phase I studies." Investigational New Drugs In: , Vol. 33, No. 3, 30.04.2015, p. 679-690.
- "A phase II study of sulforaphane-rich broccoli sprout extracts in men with recurrent prostate cancer." Investigational New Drugs In: , Vol. 33, No. 2, 01.04.2015, p. 480-489.
- "Castration-resistant prostate cancer bone metastasis response measured by 18F-fluoride PET after treatment with dasatinib and correlation with progression-free survival : Results from American College of Radiology Imaging Network 6687." Journal of Nuclear Medicine In: , Vol. 56, No. 3, 01.03.2015, p. 354-360.
- "CHFR methylation strongly correlates with methylation of DNA damage repair and apoptotic pathway genes in non-small cell lung cancer." Discovery medicine In: , Vol. 19, No. 104, 2015, p. 151-158.
- "Phase II study of single-agent orteronel (TAK-700) in patients with nonmetastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer and rising prostate-specific antigen." Clinical Cancer Research In: , Vol. 20, No. 16, 15.08.2014, p. 4218-4227.
- "Targeting DNA repair with combination veliparib (ABT-888) and temozolomide in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer." Investigational New Drugs In: , Vol. 32, No. 5, 26.04.2014, p. 904-912.
- "Diagnostic and prognostic utility of a DNA hypermethylated gene signature in prostate cancer." PLoS One In: , Vol. 9, No. 3, e91666, 13.03.2014.
- "Orteronel for the treatment of prostate cancer." Future Oncology In: , Vol. 10, No. 5, 2014, p. 803-811.
- "Immunohistochemical expression of ERG in the molecular epidemiology of fatal prostate cancer study." Prostate In: , Vol. 73, No. 13, 09.2013, p. 1371-1377.
- "Ipilimumab alone or in combination with radiotherapy in metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer : Results from an open-label, multicenter phase i/ii study." Annals of Oncology In: , Vol. 24, No. 7, mdt107, 07.2013, p. 1813-1821.
- "Targeted therapy in prostate cancer : is there hope beyond the androgen receptor?" Oncology (Williston Park, N.Y.) In: , Vol. 27, No. 7, 07.2013.
- "Androgen Receptor Promotes Ligand-Independent Prostate Cancer Progression through c-Myc Upregulation." PLoS One In: , Vol. 8, No. 5, e63563, 21.05.2013.
- "Targeted MET inhibition in castration-resistant prostate cancer : A randomized phase II study and biomarker analysis with rilotumumab plus mitoxantrone and prednisone." Clinical Cancer Research In: , Vol. 19, No. 1, 01.01.2013, p. 215-224.
- "Targeted therapy in prostate cancer : Is there hope beyond the androgen receptor?" ONCOLOGY (United States) In: , Vol. 27, No. 7, 2013.
- "Distinct epigenetic mechanisms distinguish TMPRSS2-ERG fusion-positive and -negative prostate cancers." Cancer Discovery In: , Vol. 2, No. 11, 11.2012, p. 979-981.
- "C-reactive protein as an adverse prognostic marker for men with castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC) : Confirmatory results." Urologic Oncology: Seminars and Original Investigations In: , Vol. 30, No. 1, 01.2012, p. 33-37.
- "A DNA methylation microarray-based study identifies ERG as a gene commonly methylated in prostate cancer." Epigenetics In: , Vol. 6, No. 10, 10.2011, p. 1248-1256.
- "A HIF-regulated VHL-PTP1B-Src signaling axis identifies a therapeutic target in renal cell carcinoma." Science Translational Medicine In: , Vol. 3, No. 85, 85ra47, 01.06.2011.
- "An epigenetic road to genome instability." Science Translational Medicine In: , Vol. 3, No. 67, 67ec10, 26.01.2011.