Dr. Joe W. Gray, a physicist and an engineer by training, holds positions as Professor and Gordon Moore Endowed Chair, Biomedical Engineering Department Vice Chair; Director, Center for Spatial Systems Biomedicine (OCSSB); and Associate Director for Biophysical Oncology, Knight Cancer Institute at the Oregon Health & Science University. He is also Emeritus Professor, University of California, San Francisco; and Senior Scientist, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.
He was a Staff Scientist in the Biomedical Sciences Division of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (1972-1991), Professor of Laboratory Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco (1991-2011), and Associate Laboratory Director for Biosciences and Life Sciences Division Director at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (2003-2011).
He is Principal Investigator of the National Cancer Institute / Research Center for Cancer Systems Biology Consortium (CSBC), "Measuring, Modeling and Controlling Heterogeneity" (M2CH) that is aimed at developing a systems level understanding of how intrinsic and extrinsic factors work together to enable triple-negative breast cancer to escape therapeutic control in order to devise robust control strategies; PI of a National Institutes of Health program to contribute to further development of the NIH Library of Integrated Network-based Cellular Signatures program (LINCS) to develop a dataset and computational strategy to elucidate how microenvironmental signals affect cell intrinsic intracellular transcriptional- and protein-defined molecular networks to generate experimentally durable therapies for patients; PI of a Prospect Creek Foundation study "Serial Measurement of Molecular and Architectural Responses to Therapy" (SMMART) to provide a transformative approach to cancer treatment that focuses on each person who faces cancer to create more effective, durable therapies for treatment of prostate cancer, pancreatic cancer and leukemia; PI of a Brenden Colson Center for Pancreatic Health project that provides support for a broad-based, team approach to finding causes, early detection and improvement of clinical care for pancreatic diseases including pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer; and PI of a Susan G. Komen project to identify the mechanisms by which ERBB2+ breast cancer cells escape inhibition by ERRB2-targeted therapies.
Dr. Gray's work is described in over 400 publications and in 80 US patents. He is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering; an elected a member of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences; a member of the National Institutes of Health, Frederick Advisory Committee to the Director of the National Cancer Institute; a Fellow of the American Association of Cancer Research Academy; and United States Councilor to the Radiation Effects Research Foundation (RERF), Hiroshima, JapanRead more
- "Quantification of sensitivity and resistance of breast cancer cell lines to anti-cancer drugs using GR metrics." Scientific Data In: , Vol. 4, 170166, 07.11.2017.
- "Combinatorial Microenvironments Impose a Continuum of Cellular Responses to a Single Pathway-Targeted Anti-cancer Compound." Cell Reports In: , Vol. 21, No. 2, 10.10.2017, p. 533-545.
- "Correction : Decoupling of the PI3K pathway via mutation necessitates combinatorial treatment in HER2+ breast cancer (PLoS ONE (2015) 10:7 (e0133219) DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0133219)." PLoS ONE In: , Vol. 12, No. 10, e0186551, 01.10.2017.
- "Deep learning based Nucleus Classification in pancreas histological images." 2017 39th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society: Smarter Technology for a Healthier World, EMBC 2017 - Proceedings. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc., 2017. p. 672-675 8036914.
- "Multiplexed immunohistochemistry image analysis using sparse coding." 2017 39th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society: Smarter Technology for a Healthier World, EMBC 2017 - Proceedings. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc., 2017. p. 4046-4049 8037744.
- "HER2 reactivation through acquisition of the HER2 L755S mutation as a mechanism of acquired resistance to HER2-targeted therapy in HER2 breast cancer." Clinical Cancer Research In: , Vol. 23, No. 17, 01.09.2017, p. 5123-5134.
- "Breast cancer histopathology image analysis pipeline for tumor purity estimation." 2017 IEEE 14th International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging, ISBI 2017. IEEE Computer Society, 2017. p. 1137-1140 7950717.
- "Quantitating morphological changes in biological samples during scanning electron microscopy sample preparation with correlative super-resolution microscopy." PLoS ONE In: , Vol. 12, No. 5, e0176839, 01.05.2017.
- "Activity of distinct growth factor receptor network components in breast tumors uncovers two biologically relevant subtypes." Genome Medicine In: , Vol. 9, No. 1, 40, 26.04.2017.
- "Quantitative Multiplex Immunohistochemistry Reveals Myeloid-Inflamed Tumor-Immune Complexity Associated with Poor Prognosis." Cell Reports In: , Vol. 19, No. 1, 04.04.2017, p. 203-217.
- "Targeted treatment of metastatic breast cancer by PLK1 siRNA delivered by an antioxidant nanoparticle platform." Molecular Cancer Therapeutics In: , Vol. 16, No. 4, 01.04.2017, p. 763-772.
- "Erratum to : "Genome co-amplification upregulates a mitotic gene network activity that predicts outcome and response to mitotic protein inhibitors in breast cancer", [Breast Cancer Research, 19, (2017) (17)] DOI: 10.1186/s13058-017-0809-6." Breast Cancer Research In: , Vol. 19, No. 1, 17, 09.02.2017.
- "Circulating-tumor DNA as an early detection and diagnostic tool." Current Opinion in Genetics and Development In: , Vol. 42, 01.02.2017, p. 14-21.
- "Epigenomic inactivation of RasGAPs activates RAS signaling in a subset of luminal B breast cancers." Cancer Discovery In: , Vol. 7, No. 2, 01.02.2017, p. 131-133.
- "Context Specificity in Causal Signaling Networks Revealed by Phosphoprotein Profiling." Cell Systems In: , Vol. 4, No. 1, 25.01.2017, p. 73-83.e10.
- "Bayesian network inference modeling identifies TRIB1 as a novel regulator of cell-cycle progression and survival in cancer cells." Cancer Research In: , Vol. 77, No. 7, 2017, p. 1575-1585.
- "A fully integrated, three-dimensional fluorescence to electron microscopy correlative workflow." Methods in Cell Biology In: , 2017.
- "Integrative analysis on histopathological image for identifying cellular heterogeneity." Medical Imaging 2017: Digital Pathology. Vol. 10140 SPIE, 2017. 101400T.
- "PI3 Kinase Pathway Mutations in Human Cancers." JAMA oncology In: , Vol. 2, No. 12, 01.12.2016, p. 1543-1544.
- "Characterizing the immune microenvironment in high-risk ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast." Breast Cancer Research and Treatment In: , 26.10.2016, p. 1-12.
- "FOXA1 overexpression mediates endocrine resistance by altering the ER transcriptome and IL-8 expression in ER-positive breast cancer." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America In: , Vol. 113, No. 43, 25.10.2016, p. E6600-E6609.
- "Quantitative analysis of histological tissue image based on cytological profiles and spatial statistics." 2016 38th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBC 2016. Vol. 2016-October Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc., 2016. p. 1175-1178 7590914.
- "Multiplexed imaging reveals heterogeneity of PI3K/MAPK network signaling in breast lesions of known PIK3CA genotype." Breast Cancer Research and Treatment In: , Vol. 159, No. 3, 01.10.2016, p. 575-583.
- "A Biobank of Breast Cancer Explants with Preserved Intra-tumor Heterogeneity to Screen Anticancer Compounds." Cell In: , Vol. 167, No. 1, 22.09.2016, p. 260-274.e22.
- "Genome co-amplification upregulates a mitotic gene network activity that predicts outcome and response to mitotic protein inhibitors in breast cancer." Breast Cancer Research In: , Vol. 18, No. 1, 70, 01.07.2016.
- "Reconstruction of Gene Regulatory Networks Based on Repairing Sparse Low-Rank Matrices." IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics In: , Vol. 13, No. 4, 7182286, 01.07.2016, p. 767-777.
- "The ErbB2ΔEx16 splice variant is a major oncogenic driver in breast cancer that promotes a pro-metastatic tumor microenvironment." Oncogene In: , 09.05.2016.
- "Current development of targeted oligonucleotide-based cancer therapies : Perspective on HER2-positive breast cancer treatment." Cancer Treatment Reviews In: , Vol. 45, 01.04.2016, p. 19-29.
- "Therapeutic siRNA for drug-resistant HER2-positive breast cancer." Oncotarget In: , Vol. 7, No. 12, 22.03.2016, p. 14727-14741.
- "Functional proteomics identifies miRNAs to target a p27/Myc/phospho-Rb signature in breast and ovarian cancer." Oncogene In: , Vol. 35, No. 6, 11.02.2016, p. 691-701.