My research, community involvement and clinical practice revolve around health equity. I am on the Steering Committee of Southern Oregon Regional Health Equity Coalition funded by Oregon Health Authority. My role as an academic researcher is to complete secondary data analysis and health equity reports to understand health disparities in southern Oregon. I completed focus groups with community partners on "Stories of Health", a multicultural story-telling approach, to learn from community residents, particularly those from groups that are experiencing health disparities, their perspective on what contributes to their health. We are currently funded to complete "The Life, Love and Health Study: A Latino Sexual Health Assessment", to assess knowledge, needs, and barriers to accessing reproductive and sexual health services among Latino adults in Jackson County, Oregon
I am also project manager of Advancing Health Equity through Student Empowerment &Professional Success (HealthE STEPS), funded by Health Resources & Services Administration Nursing Workforce Diversity grant.
- Ph.D., University of Hawaii Hawaii 2003
- "Rethinking first-time pass rates as an academic quality metric." Journal of Nursing Education In: , Vol. 56, No. 7, 2017, p. 387-388.
- "Holistic admissions in undergraduate nursing : One school's journey and lessons learned." Journal of Professional Nursing In: , 2017.
- "Advancing health equity through student empowerment and professional success : A statewide approach." Journal of Nursing Education In: , Vol. 55, No. 6, 01.06.2016, p. 316-322.
- "Latino youth participation in community-based participatory research to reduce teen pregnancy disparities." Children and Youth Services Review In: , Vol. 63, 01.04.2016, p. 36-39.
- "Veteran and Family Health : Building Competency With Unfolding Cases." Clinical Simulation in Nursing In: , Vol. 12, No. 3, 01.03.2016, p. 79-83.
- "Impact of a simulation on nursing students' attitudes toward schizophrenia." Clinical Simulation in Nursing In: , Vol. 11, No. 2, 01.02.2015, p. 134-141.
- "Latino teen theater : A theater intervention to promote latino parent-adolescent sexual communication." Hispanic Health Care International In: , Vol. 13, No. 4, 2015, p. 209-216.
- "Escuchando a Nuestros Jóvenes : A Latino youth photovoice project on teen pregnancy." Hispanic Health Care International In: , Vol. 12, No. 2, 2014, p. 63-70.
- "Making simulation come alive : Standardized patients in undergraduate nursing education." Nursing Education Perspectives In: , Vol. 34, No. 6, 11.2013, p. 421-425.
- "Preparing nursing students for the future : An innovative approach to clinical education." Nurse Education in Practice In: , Vol. 13, No. 4, 07.2013, p. 301-309.
- "Pilot test of interactive theater to improve parent communication on pregnancy prevention." Arts and Health In: , Vol. 5, No. 1, 02.2013, p. 68-80.
- "Influence of a poverty simulation on nursing student attitudes toward poverty." Journal of Nursing Education In: , Vol. 51, No. 11, 2012, p. 617-622.
- "Rural mothers' experiences and perceptions of their role in pregnancy prevention for their adolescent daughters." JOGNN - Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing In: , Vol. 39, No. 1, 01.2010, p. 27-36.
- "Innovative learning activity. Evidence-based practice to outcomes management : spiraled learning activities, Part II." The Journal of nursing education In: , Vol. 48, No. 8, 08.2009, p. 472.
- "Teaching to the three apprenticeships : designing learning activities for professional practice in an undergraduate curriculum." The Journal of nursing education In: , Vol. 48, No. 8, 08.2009, p. 468-471.
- "Syllabus selection : Innovative learning activity." Journal of Nursing Education In: , Vol. 48, No. 7, 07.2009, p. 416.
- "Evidence-based practice to outcomes management : spiraled learning activities, part I." The Journal of nursing education In: , Vol. 48, No. 7, 07.2009, p. 416.
- "Spiraling evidence-based practice and outcomes management concepts in an undergraduate curriculum : A systematic approach." Journal of Nursing Education In: , Vol. 48, No. 6, 06.2009, p. 319-326.
- "Preparing daughters : The context of rurality on mothers' role in contraception." Journal of Rural Health In: , Vol. 25, No. 3, 06.2009, p. 282-289.
- "The diversity imperative : strategies to address a diverse nursing workforce." Nursing Forum In: , Vol. 43, No. 3, 07.2008, p. 133-143.
- "An organized pre-entry pathway to prepare a diverse nursing workforce." Journal of Nursing Education In: , Vol. 46, No. 6, 06.2007, p. 287-291.
- "Strategies for contraceptive success." The Nurse practitioner In: , Vol. 32, No. 6, 06.2007.
- "Reducing health disparities by improving quality of care : Lessons learned from culturally diverse women." Journal of Nursing Care Quality In: , Vol. 21, No. 1, 01.2006, p. 86-92.
- "Finding the best fit : a grounded theory of contraceptive decision making in women." Nursing Forum In: , Vol. 39, No. 4, 10.2004, p. 13-24.
- "Mixed-up tubes." American Journal of Nursing In: , Vol. 102, No. 8, 08.2002.
- "Concept analysis of decision making." Nursing Forum In: , Vol. 37, No. 3, 07.2002, p. 21-32.
- "Listening to women : culturally tailoring the violence prevention guidelines from the put prevention into practice program." Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners In: , Vol. 14, No. 7, 07.2002, p. 307-315.
- "Cultural perspectives on contraception : a literature review." Clinical excellence for nurse practitioners : the international journal of NPACE In: , Vol. 4, No. 6, 11.2000, p. 336-340.
- "Bell's palsy in the primary care setting : a case study." Clinical excellence for nurse practitioners : the international journal of NPACE In: , Vol. 2, No. 4, 07.1998, p. 206-211.
- "Diagnosis and treatment of leptospirosis in the primary care setting." The Nurse practitioner In: , Vol. 23, No. 5, 1998.