Jennifer Bevacqua has been working in the field of pediatrics since 1998, beginning as a Registered Nurse (RN) in pediatric critical care. There, Jennifer cultivated an interest in the care of, and deep respect for, sick and injured children. After working in pediatric critical care for 6 years, Jennifer returned to graduate school, at OHSU, to obtain her primary care-focused pediatric nurse practitioner (PC PNP) degree. Subsequently, Jennifer worked in the department of pediatric surgery/trauma and pediatric emergency medicine. After the publication of the APRN Consensus Model, Jennifer elected to return to graduate school to formally obtain her acute care-focused pediatric nurse practitioner (AC PNP) degree from Rush University in Chicago. She then worked in pediatric hospital medicine and in urgent care. Jennifer was welcomed to the OHSU School of Nursing faculty in 2014, to teach part-time in the newly developed dual-track PNP program. In addition to her dual PNP training, Jennifer teaches Basic Life Support (BLS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS), is the recipient of multiple awards, and a dedicated member of her local and national professional organizations. Jennifer has special interests in children’s environmental health and professional issues impacting nurse practitioner utilization in the US healthcare workforce. She continues to clinically practice, in addition to teaching part-time.
Areas of interest
- Environmental Health
- Acute Care
- Wilderness Medicine
- N.P., Oregon Health & Science University, Portland Oregon United States 2005
- N.P., Rush University, Chicago Illinois United States 2011
- B.S.N., Indiana University, Indianapolis Indiana United States 1999
- Certified Acute Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner since 2012
- Certified Primary Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner since 2005
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support, Instructor, American Heart Association
- Basic Life Support, Instructor, American Heart Association
- Advanced Trauma Life Support, American College of Surgeons
Honors and awards
- Recipient of the Nursing Excellent Award, 2001, Emanuel Hospital, Portland OR
- Recipient of the Reckitt-Benckiser Scholarship, 2010, NAPNAP
- Top Nurse Practitioner, 2013, Portland Monthly Magazine
- Recipient of the 2012 Nurse Practitioners of Oregon Nanette Clapper Memorial Scholarship, 2012, Portland OR
Memberships and associations
- National Pediatric Nurse Practitioners Association (NAPNAP), 2003- current
- Oregon Chapter of NAPNAP, 2003-current
Bevacqua, J. (2005). Diabetic ketoacidosis in the PICU. Critical Care Nursing Clinics of North America, 17(4), 341-8.
Bevacqua, J. (2006). Unhappy after an appendectomy. Journal of Pediatric Health Care, 20(3), 208-9 & 223-5.
Glass, N., Laughon, K., Rutto, C., Bevacqua, J. & Campbell, J.C. (2008). Young adult intimate partner femicide. Homicide Studies, 12(2), 177-87.
Bevacqua, J. (2009). Umbilical hernias in infants & children: A review for primary care PNP’s and FNP’s. The Nurse Practitioner, 34 (12).
Bevacqua, J. (2011). Pancreatitis. Pediatric Acute Care: A Guide for Interprofessional Practice. Eds: Reuter-Rice, K. & Bolick, B. Jones & Bartlett: Burlington, MA.
Bevacqua, J. (2013). Manufactured environmental toxins and children’s health: An evidence-based review and anticipatory guidance. Journal of Pediatric Health Care, 27(1), 13-22.
Bolick B., Bevacqua J., Kline-Tilford A., Reuter-Rice K., Haut C., McComiskey C., Cavender J. & Verger J. (2013). Recommendations for matching pediatric nurse practitioner education and certification to pediatric acute care populations. Journal of Pediatric Health Care, 27(1), 71-77.
Burns, C.E., Dunn, A.M. & Bevacqua, J.E. (2017). Environmental Health Issues. Pediatric Primary Care (6th Ed.). Eds: Burns, C.E., Dunn, A.M., Brady, M.A., Starr, N.B., Blosser, C.G. & Garzon, D.L. Elsevier Sanders: Philadelphia.
- "Recommendations for Matching Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Education and Certification to Pediatric Acute Care Populations." Journal of Pediatric Health Care In: , Vol. 27, No. 1, 01.2013, p. 71-77.
- "Manufactured Environmental Toxins and Children's Health : An Evidence-Based Review and Anticipatory Guidance." Journal of Pediatric Health Care In: , Vol. 27, No. 1, 01.2013, p. 13-22.
- "Umbilical hernias in infants and children." The Nurse practitioner In: , Vol. 34, No. 12, 12.2009, p. 12-13.
- "Young adult intimate partner femicide : An exploratory study." Homicide Studies In: , Vol. 12, No. 2, 05.2008, p. 177-187.
- "Unhappy After an Appendectomy." Journal of Pediatric Health Care In: , Vol. 20, No. 3, 05.2006, p. 208-209.
- "Diabetic ketoacidosis in the pediatric ICU." Critical Care Nursing Clinics of North America In: , Vol. 17, No. 4, 12.2005, p. 341-347.