Dr. Guise's clinical interests include inpatient obstetrics, improving birth processes and outcomes for women and children, and obstetric quality. She has a wide range of research interests that include interventions to improve outcomes and safety for women and children in childbirth, evidence-based medicine, comparative effectiveness, perinatal epidemiology, and medical ethics (particularly relating to obstetric decision making). She is a leader at OHSU in regard to using simulation to improve team preparedness for medical and obstetrical emergencies and improving teamwork and communication among healthcare personnel. Dr. Guise enjoys contributing to the improvement of the health of individuals and informing policy and research to improve the health of populations.
Dr. Guise grew up in the Seattle area and completed her medical training in Chapel Hill, North Carolina before moving to Portland. In her leisure time, she enjoys spending time with family, skiing, cooking, traveling, laughing and trying (unsuccessfully) to learn other languages.
Pregnanacy and childbith philosophy:
"I believe that childbirth is not only a health event and process, but also a memory. I try to fuse evidence-based medicine with personalized care. My goal is to create a positive memory for the woman and family while applying the best medical evidence to inform medical decision making."Read more
- M.P.H., University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill North Carolina 0 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, Seattle Washington 0 1992
- Obstetrics and gynecology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1996
- HRSA primary care research fellow, Institute for the Generalist Physician, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1998
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1998
Memberships and associations
- American Medical Association
- "Safety Events in High Risk Prehospital Neonatal Calls." Prehospital Emergency Care In: , 30.08.2017, p. 1-7.
- "The role of simulation in mixed-methods research : A framework & application to patient safety." BMC Health Services Research In: , Vol. 17, No. 1, 322, 04.05.2017.
- "Vaginal birth after cesarean : neonatal outcomes and United States birth setting." American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology In: , Vol. 216, No. 4, 01.04.2017, p. 403.e1-403.e8.
- "Accuracy of prefilled "code Cart" epinephrine syringes for direct administration of small doses." JAMA Pediatrics In: , Vol. 171, No. 4, 01.04.2017, p. 393-394.
- "Fit for purpose : Perspectives on rapid reviews from end-user interviews." Systematic Reviews In: , Vol. 6, No. 1, 32, 17.02.2017.
- "Emergency medical services responders' perceptions of the effect of stress and anxiety on patient safety in the out-of-hospital emergency care of children : A qualitative study." BMJ Open In: , Vol. 7, No. 2, e014057, 01.02.2017.
- "AHRQ series on complex intervention systematic reviews-paper 4 : Selecting analytic approaches." Journal of Clinical Epidemiology In: , 2017.
- "AHRQ series on complex intervention systematic reviews-paper 6 : PRISMA-CI extension statement and checklist." Journal of Clinical Epidemiology In: , 2017.
- "The effect of menstrual cycle and contraceptives on ACL injuries and laxity : A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis." Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine In: , Vol. 5, No. 7, 2325967117718781, 2017.
- "AHRQ series on complex intervention systematic reviews-paper 3 : Adapting frameworks to develop protocols." Journal of Clinical Epidemiology In: , 2017.
- "AHRQ series on complex intervention systematic reviews-paper 7 : PRISMA-CI elaboration and explanation." Journal of Clinical Epidemiology In: , 2017.
- "AHRQ series on complex intervention systematic reviews-paper 1 : An introduction to a series of articles that provide guidance and tools for reviews of complex interventions." Journal of Clinical Epidemiology In: , 2017.
- "AHRQ series on complex intervention systematic reviews-paper 2 : Defining complexity, formulating scope, and questions." Journal of Clinical Epidemiology In: , 2017.
- "Safety events in pediatric out-of-hospital cardiac arrest." American Journal of Emergency Medicine In: , 2017.
- "The Association Between Hospital Capacity Strain and Inpatient Outcomes in Highly Developed Countries : A Systematic Review." Journal of General Internal Medicine In: , 15.12.2016, p. 1-11.
- "Drivers of maternity care in high-income countries : can health systems support woman-centred care?" The Lancet In: , Vol. 388, No. 10057, 05.11.2016, p. 2282-2295.
- "Team Mentoring for Interdisciplinary Team Science : Lessons From K12 Scholars and Directors." Academic Medicine In: , 23.08.2016.
- "Emergency Medical Services Provider Pediatric Adverse Event Rate Varies by Call Origin Pediatric Emergency Care." Pediatric Emergency Care In: , 12.07.2016.
- "Pediatric Airway Management and Prehospital Patient Safety : Results of a National Delphi Survey by the Childrenʼs Safety Initiative-Emergency Medical Services for Children." Pediatric Emergency Care In: , 01.06.2016.
- "Understanding the value of mixed methods research : The Children's Safety Initiative-Emergency Medical Services." Emergency Medicine Journal In: , 23.02.2016.
- "Unnecessary Use of Red Lights and Sirens in Pediatric Transport." Prehospital Emergency Care In: , 21.01.2016, p. 1-8.
- "A taxonomy of rapid reviews links report types and methods to specific decision-making contexts." Journal of Clinical Epidemiology In: , Vol. 68, No. 12, 01.12.2015, p. 1451-1462.e3.
- "Vaginal Birth after Cesarean : An Effective Method to Reduce Cesarean." Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology In: , Vol. 58, No. 2, 01.12.2015, p. 309-319.
- "Paramedic assessment and treatment of upper airway obstruction in pediatric patients : An exploratory analysis by the Children's Safety Initiative-Emergency Medical Services." American Journal of Emergency Medicine In: , 31.07.2015.
- "Out-of-hospital pediatric airway management in the United States." Resuscitation In: , Vol. 90, 01.05.2015, p. 104-110.
- "Advancing knowledge of rapid reviews : An analysis of results, conclusions and recommendations from published review articles examining rapid reviews." Systematic Reviews In: , Vol. 4, No. 1, 50, 17.04.2015.
- "Children's safety initiative : A national assessment of pediatric educational needs among emergency medical services providers." Prehospital Emergency Care In: , Vol. 19, No. 2, 03.04.2015, p. 287-291.
- "Impact of simulation and team training on postpartum hemorrhage management in non-academic centers." Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine In: , Vol. 28, No. 5, 01.03.2015, p. 495-499.
- "Patient Safety Perceptions in Pediatric Out-of-Hospital Emergency Care : Children's Safety Initiative." Journal of Pediatrics In: , 02.01.2015.
- "Twelve recommendations for integrating existing systematic reviews into new reviews : EPC guidance." Journal of Clinical Epidemiology In: , 2015.