Dr. Jackilen Shannon is a nutritional epidemiologist with a strong track record of investigation in the role of diet and nutrition in carcinogenesis. She joined Oregon Health & Science University in 2000. She completed a doctoral degree program in nutrition with a minor in epidemiology at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, and an NIH-NCI postdoctoral training fellowship in cancer epidemiology at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, Washington.
Dr. Shannon’s research focuses on using epidemiologic methods to investigate the role of bioactive food components in early carcinogenesis. The focus of this work has narrowed over the past five years from broad case-control studies with multiple dietary exposures to directed clinical trials and family-based association studies that target specific bioactive nutrients and their function in particular biologic pathways frequently dysregulated in early carcinogenesis. Breast and prostate cancer have been the model diseases within which this work has been conducted. As demonstrated through recently funded awards, Dr. Shannon’s efforts are targeted primarily at elucidating the potential chemopreventive effects of two bioactive dietary compounds, omega-3 fatty acids and sulforaphane.Read more
- B.S., Pennsylvania State University, University Park Pennsylvania 1987
- M.P.H., University of Minnesota, Minneapolis Minnesota 1988
- Ph.D., University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill North Carolina 1993
Memberships and associations
- The American Dietetic Association American Association for Cancer ResearchSociety for Epidemiologic Research
- "Untargeted Metabolomic Screen Reveals Changes in Human Plasma Metabolite Profiles Following Consumption of Fresh Broccoli Sprouts." Molecular Nutrition and Food Research In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Scaling Up and Tailoring the “Putting Public Health in Action” Training Curriculum." Health Promotion Practice In: , 01.11.2017.
- "Assessing Community Cancer care after insurance ExpanSionS (ACCESS) study protocol." Contemporary Clinical Trials Communications In: , Vol. 7, 01.09.2017, p. 136-140.
- "Geographic and population-level disparities in colorectal cancer testing : A multilevel analysis of Medicaid and commercial claims data." Preventive Medicine In: , Vol. 101, 01.08.2017, p. 44-52.
- "Effects of ω-3 Fatty Acids and Catechins on Fatty Acid Synthase in the Prostate : A Randomized Controlled Trial." Nutrition and Cancer In: , Vol. 68, No. 8, 16.11.2016, p. 1309-1319.
- "Creating 21st-Century Laboratories and Classrooms for Improving Population Health : A Call to Action for Academic Medical Centers." Academic Medicine In: , 20.09.2016.
- "Plasma equol concentration is not associated with breast cancer and fibrocystic breast conditions among women in Shanghai, China." Nutrition Research In: , Vol. 36, No. 8, 01.08.2016, p. 863-871.
- "Dietary Antioxidants and Longitudinal Changes in Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms in Elderly Men : The Osteoporotic Fractures in Men Study." European Urology Focus In: , Vol. 2, No. 3, 01.08.2016, p. 310-318.
- "Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and being overweight/obesity : New data and meta-analysis." Clinical Psychology Review In: , Vol. 43, 01.02.2016, p. 67-79.
- "Food-related practices and beliefs of rural US elementary and middle school teachers." Rural and Remote Health In: , Vol. 16, No. 2, 3821, 2016.
- "Sulforaphane bioavailability and chemopreventive activity in women scheduled for breast biopsy." Cancer Prevention Research In: , Vol. 8, No. 12, 01.12.2015, p. 1184-1191.
- "Associations between cruciferous vegetable intake and selected biomarkers among women scheduled for breast biopsies." Public Health Nutrition In: , 02.09.2015.
- "Epigenetic Regulation by Sulforaphane : Opportunities for Breast and Prostate Cancer Chemoprevention." Current Pharmacology Reports In: , Vol. 1, No. 2, 01.04.2015, p. 102-111.
- "Recalled Initiation and Duration of Maternal Breastfeeding Among Children with and Without ADHD in a Well Characterized Case–Control Sample." Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology In: , 08.03.2015.
- "Absorption and chemopreventive targets of sulforaphane in humans following consumption of broccoli sprouts or a myrosinase-treated broccoli sprout extract." Molecular Nutrition and Food Research In: , Vol. 59, No. 3, 01.03.2015, p. 424-433.
- "Femoral volumetric bone density, geometry, and strength in relation to 25-hydroxy vitamin D in older men." Journal of Bone and Mineral Research In: , Vol. 30, No. 3, 01.03.2015, p. 475-482.
- "Macronutrients, diet quality, and frailty in older men." Journals of Gerontology - Series A Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences In: , Vol. 69, No. 6, 2014, p. 695-701.
- "Agent Orange as a risk factor for high-grade prostate cancer." Cancer In: , Vol. 119, No. 13, 01.07.2013, p. 2399-2404.
- "Serum and dietary vitamin D and cardiovascular disease risk in elderly men : A prospective cohort study." Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases In: , Vol. 22, No. 10, 10.2012, p. 856-863.
- "Statin use and risk of prostate cancer in the prospective osteoporotic fractures in men (MrOS) study." Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention In: , Vol. 21, No. 10, 10.2012, p. 1886-1888.
- "Impact of a community gardening project on vegetable intake, food security and family relationships : A community-based participatory research study." Journal of Community Health In: , Vol. 37, No. 4, 08.2012, p. 874-881.
- "Using health information technology to engage communities in health, education, and research." Science Translational Medicine In: , Vol. 4, No. 119, 01.02.2012.
- "Nutrient biomarker patterns, cognitive function, and MRI measures of brain aging." Neurology In: , Vol. 78, No. 4, 24.01.2012, p. 241-249.
- "Fruit and vegetable intakes in relation to plasma nutrient concentrations in women in Shanghai, China." Public Health Nutrition In: , Vol. 15, No. 1, 01.2012, p. 167-175.
- "Let's get healthy! health awareness through public participation in an education and research exhibit." Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action In: , Vol. 6, No. 3, 2012, p. 331-337.
- "Assessment of genetic determinants of the association of γ′ fibrinogen in relation to cardiovascular disease." Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology In: , Vol. 31, No. 10, 10.2011, p. 2345-2352.
- "Improving the follow-up of positive hemoccult screening tests : An electronic intervention." Journal of General Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 26, No. 7, 07.2011, p. 691-697.
- "Reliability and validity of food frequency questionnaire and nutrient biomarkers in elders with and without mild cognitive impairment." Alzheimer Disease and Associated Disorders In: , Vol. 25, No. 1, 01.2011, p. 49-57.
- "Erythrocyte fatty acids and prostate cancer risk : A comparison of methods." Prostaglandins Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids In: , Vol. 83, No. 3, 09.2010, p. 161-169.
- "Serum 25-OH vitamin D levels and risk of developing prostate cancer in older men." Cancer Causes and Control In: , Vol. 21, No. 8, 08.2010, p. 1297-1303.