Dr. Song is the chief of the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery as of July 2012. He has been a member of the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery at OHSU since 2004. He earned his undergraduate and medical degrees at Yale University and Stanford University and completed his clinical training at the University of Pennsylvania and Emory University. He serves as the surgery director of the Heart Failure and Transplant Program and the Thoracic Aorta Program at OHSU.
Dr. Song performs surgery for patients with all types of adult cardiovascular disease, including coronary artery disease, valvular heart disease, heart failure, and aortic aneurysms. His special areas of clinical interest include aortic and mitral valve repair, transplantation, ventricular assist devices, and aortic aneurysms.
Dr. Song is actively involved in both clinical and basic science research on cardiovascular disease. His research interests include biomedical and tissue engineering, genetically-triggered thoracic aortic aneurysms, and patient outcomes following cardiovascular surgery. He is actively involved in numerous cardiothoracic surgery societies and committees, is a reviewer for numerous cardiothoracic surgery journals, and has authored more than 80 journal articles.Read more
Areas of interest
- Outcomes of patients undergoing adult cardiac surgery
- Genetically triggered thoracic aortic aneurysms
- Recombinant factor replacement following cardiopulmonary bypass to decrease postoperative bleeding
- Bioengineering of prosthetic materials and blood pumps to improve biocompatibility
- M.D., Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford California 1994
- Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania Biomedical Graduate Studies, Philadelphia Pennsylvania 2001
- B.S., Yale University, New Haven Connecticut 1989
- General Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 2001
- Cardiothoracic Surgery, Emory University Affiliated Hospitals, Atlanta, GA, 2004
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery, 2005
Memberships and associations
- American Association of Thoracic Surgery
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- "Associations of Age and Sex with Marfan Phenotype : The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute GenTAC (Genetically Triggered Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms and Cardiovascular Conditions) Registry." Circulation: Cardiovascular Genetics In: , Vol. 10, No. 3, e001647, 01.06.2017.
- "Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy : Contemporary evaluation and management." Consultant In: , Vol. 57, No. 3, 01.03.2017.
- "The OregonHeart Total Artificial Heart : Design and Performance on a Mock Circulatory Loop." Artificial Organs In: , 2017.
- "Aortic Dilatation Associated With Bicuspid Aortic Valve : Relation to Sex, Hemodynamics, and Valve Morphology (the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute-Sponsored National Registry of Genetically Triggered Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms and Cardiovascular Conditions)." American Journal of Cardiology In: , 2017.
- "Limited Utility of Tricuspid Valve Repair at the Time of Left Ventricular Assist Device Implantation." Annals of Thoracic Surgery In: , Vol. 101, No. 6, 01.06.2016, p. 2168-2175.
- "Aortic Dissection in Patients With Genetically Mediated Aneurysms : Incidence and Predictors in the GenTAC Registry." Journal of the American College of Cardiology In: , Vol. 67, No. 23, 2016, p. 2744-2754.
- "A deleterious gene-by-environment interaction imposed by calcium channel blockers in Marfan syndrome." eLife In: , Vol. 4, No. OCTOBER2015, e08648, 27.10.2015.
- "Engineering an endothelialized vascular graft : A rational approach to study design in a non-human primate model." PLoS One In: , Vol. 9, No. 12, e115163, 19.12.2014.
- "Safety and efficacy of prothrombin complex concentrates for the treatment of coagulopathy after cardiac surgery." Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery In: , Vol. 147, No. 3, 03.2014, p. 1036-1040.
- "Combined heart-kidney transplant improves post-transplant survival compared with isolated heart transplant in recipients with reduced glomerular filtration rate : Analysis of 593 combined heart-kidney transplants from the United Network Organ Sharing Database." Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery In: , Vol. 147, No. 1, 01.2014.
- "Valve-sparing aortic root replacement in patients with Marfan syndrome enrolled in the National Registry of Genetically Triggered Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms and Cardiovascular Conditions." The Journal of heart valve disease In: , Vol. 23, No. 3, 2014, p. 292-298.
- "Safe application of a restrictive transfusion protocol in moderate-risk patients undergoing cardiac operations." Annals of Thoracic Surgery In: , Vol. 97, No. 5, 2014, p. 1630-1635.
- "Ventricular assist devices or inotropic agents in status 1A patients? Survival analysis of the united network of organ sharing database." Annals of Thoracic Surgery In: , Vol. 97, No. 4, 2014, p. 1364-1371.
- "Organ allocation in adults with congenital heart disease listed for heart transplant : Impact of ventricular assist devices." Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation In: , Vol. 32, No. 11, 11.2013, p. 1059-1064.
- "Efficacy and safety of recombinant factor XIII on reducing blood transfusions in cardiac surgery : A randomized, placebo-controlled, multicenter clinical trial." Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery In: , Vol. 146, No. 4, 10.2013, p. 927-939.
- "Right ventricular outflow tract cannulation for right ventricular assist device implantation." Annals of Thoracic Surgery In: , Vol. 96, No. 1, 07.2013, p. 333-335.
- "GenTAC registry report : Gender differences among individuals with genetically triggered thoracic aortic aneurysm and dissection." American Journal of Medical Genetics, Part A In: , Vol. 161, No. 4, 04.2013, p. 779-786.
- "Mechanical circulatory support pathways that maximize post-heart transplant survival." Annals of Thoracic Surgery In: , Vol. 95, No. 2, 02.2013, p. 480-485.
- "Left atrial plication for heart transplantation in patients with giant left atrium." The heart surgery forum In: , Vol. 15, No. 6, 12.2012.
- "2012 update to the society of thoracic Surgeons guideline on use of antiplatelet drugs in patients having cardiac and noncardiac operations." Annals of Thoracic Surgery In: , Vol. 94, No. 5, 11.2012, p. 1761-1781.
- "Impact of single-ventricle physiology on death after heart transplantation in adults with congenital heart disease." Annals of Thoracic Surgery In: , Vol. 94, No. 4, 10.2012, p. 1281-1288.
- "Long-term systemic right ventricular support in transposition and dextrocardia." Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery In: , Vol. 144, No. 4, 10.2012.
- "Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for ARDS in adults ." New England Journal of Medicine In: , Vol. 366, No. 6, 09.02.2012, p. 575.
- "Myocardial protection." Cardiopulmonary Bypass: Principles and Practice: Third Edition. Wolters Kluwer Health Adis (ESP), 2012. p. 172-189.
- "Long-term implications of emergency versus elective proximal aortic surgery in patients with Marfan syndrome in the Genetically Triggered Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms and Cardiovascular Conditions Consortium Registry." Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery In: , Vol. 143, No. 2, 02.2012, p. 282-286.
- "The National Registry of Genetically Triggered Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms and Cardiovascular Conditions (GenTAC) : Results from phase i and scientific opportunities in phase II." American Heart Journal In: , Vol. 162, No. 4, 10.2011.
- "Impact of image analysis methodology on diagnostic and surgical classification of patients with thoracic aortic aneurysms." Annals of Thoracic Surgery In: , Vol. 92, No. 3, 09.2011, p. 904-913.
- "2011 update to the society of thoracic surgeons and the society of cardiovascular anesthesiologists blood conservation clinical practice guidelines." Annals of Thoracic Surgery In: , Vol. 91, No. 3, 03.2011, p. 944-982.
- "Blood transfusion after coronary artery bypass graft surgery : Reply." JAMA - Journal of the American Medical Association In: , Vol. 305, No. 2, 12.01.2011, p. 150.
- "Patient-specific insulin-resistanceguided infusion improves glycemic control in cardiac surgery." Annals of Thoracic Surgery In: , Vol. 90, No. 6, 12.2010, p. 1818-1823.