Dr. Thomas specializes in caring for children with cancer and blood problems. He is a member of the Bridges Pediatric Palliative Care Program at Doernbecher Children’s Hospital which provides care and support to children and young adults whose lives may be shortened by illness or injury and their families.
In both pediatric oncology and palliative care Dr. Thomas greatly values his relationships with children and families undergoing very difficult challenges. Dr. Thomas also has an interest in patients with abnormalities of hemoglobin, the main protein in red blood cells.
When he is away from work, Dr. Thomas enjoys backpacking, long distance hiking, and traveling with his wife. Closer to home he enjoys riding his bicycle to work, reading, and cooking.Read more
- M.D., Oregon Health & Science University, Portland Oregon United States 1981
- Pediatrics, University of Utah Medical Center, 1984
- Pediatric hematology-oncology, University of Utah Medical Center, 1987
- American Board of Pediatrics, 1986
- American Board of Pediatrics, sub-board, Hematology/Oncology, 1990, 1997, 2004, 2016
Memberships and associations
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Amercian Society of Hematology
- Oregon Medical Association
- Children's Oncology Group
- "Comprehensive Analysis of Hypermutation in Human Cancer." Cell In: , Vol. 171, No. 5, 16.11.2017, p. 1042-1056.e10.
- "Invasive High-grade Upper Tract Urothelial Carcinoma in a 14-Year-Old Girl." Urology In: , Vol. 101, 01.03.2017, p. 145-146.
- "Preventive antibiotics in pediatric patients with acute myeloid leukemia (AML)." Pediatric Blood and Cancer In: , Vol. 62, No. 7, 01.07.2015, p. 1149-1154.
- "Pediatric oncology providers perceptions of barriers and facilitators to early integration of pediatric palliative care." Pediatric Blood and Cancer In: , Vol. 60, No. 11, 11.2013, p. 1875-1881.
- "Neutralizing antibodies against adeno-associated virus examined prospectively in pediatric patients with hemophilia." Gene Therapy In: , Vol. 19, No. 3, 03.2012, p. 288-294.
- "Risk factors for inhibitor formation in haemophilia : A prevalent case-control study." Haemophilia In: , Vol. 15, No. 5, 2009, p. 1074-1082.
- "Prophylaxis versus episodic treatment to prevent joint disease in boys with severe hemophilia." New England Journal of Medicine In: , Vol. 357, No. 6, 09.08.2007, p. 535-544.
- "Sustained engraftment post bone marrow transplant despite anti-platelet antibodies in Glanzmann thrombasthenia." Pediatric Blood and Cancer In: , Vol. 45, No. 7, 12.2005, p. 971-975.
- "Long-term Care of Children with Hemophilia." Pediatrics. Elsevier Inc., 2004. p. 1075-1080.
- "Acute lymphoblastic leukemia with the (8;14)(q24;q32) translocation and FAB L3 morphology associated with a B-precursor immunophenotype : The Pediatric Oncology Group experience." Leukemia In: , Vol. 13, No. 1, 1999, p. 135-141.
- "Abnormal phospholipid molecular species of erythrocytes in sickle cell anemia." Journal of Lipid Research In: , Vol. 38, No. 12, 12.1997, p. 2516-2528.
- "Absence of p53 mutations in childhood central nervous system primitive neuroectodermal tumors." Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 33, No. 2, 1993, p. 301-306.
- "Loss of heterozygosity on 6q, 16q, and 17p in human central nervous system primitive neuroectodermal tumors." Cancer Research In: , Vol. 51, No. 2, 15.01.1991, p. 639-643.
- "Allelotype of human malignant astrocytoma." Cancer Research In: , Vol. 50, No. 18, 15.09.1990, p. 5784-5789.
- "Loss of heterozygosity on chromosome 10 in human glioblastoma multiforme." Genomics In: , Vol. 4, No. 2, 1989, p. 210-214.
- "Loss of heterozygosity for loci on chromosome 17p in human malignant astrocytoma." Cancer Research In: , Vol. 49, No. 23, 1989, p. 6572-6577.
- "Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura in children." Nurse Practitioner In: , Vol. 12, No. 4, 1987, p. 24-30.
- "Thrombocytosis in children with Hemophilus influenza meningitis." Clinical Pediatrics In: , Vol. 25, No. 12, 1986, p. 610-611.
- "Intravenous immune-globulin therapy in pediatric hematology." Western Journal of Medicine In: , Vol. 145, No. 2, 1986, p. 229-230.