Dr. Bowman is a board-certified Naturopathic Physician licensed in Oregon. The primary focus of his research is to better understand the interactive role of lifestyle factors (particularly nutrition) in brain aging and Alzheimer's disease. This includes applying epidemiological methods to the study of aging populations at risk for dementia and those carrying the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease. Together, our group has investigated CSF biomarkers including antioxidants, immunoglobulin G, and albumin in people with Alzheimer's disease. We have also examined the reliability of a comprehensive panel of plasma nutrients and compared that head to head with food questionnaire reports in elders at risk for dementia. Another focus is the application of advanced statistics to explore the interactive structure of nutrient biomarkers. The aim of this project is to permit a better understanding of nutrient combinations best suited for translating to Alzheimer's prevention trials.Selected scientific articles on nutrition, cognition and the blood-brain barrier:
- Reliability and Validity of Food Frequency Questionnaire and Nutrient Biomarkers in Elders With and Without Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Ascorbic acid and rates of cognitive decline in Alzheimer's disease
- Blood-brain barrier impairment in Alzheimer's disease: stability and functional significance
- Uric Acid as a CNS antioxidant
- Alzheimer's disease and the Blood –Brain Barrier: Past, Present and Future
Dr. Bowman's scientific career development is supported by the National Institutes of Health (K23 award). He serves as an Associate Editor for the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease and as a Scientific Member of a National Consortium of Academic Health Centers for Integrative Medicine.Read more
- M.P.H., Oregon Health & Science university 2011
- B.S., Old Dominion University 1997
- Naturopathic Medicine, Greenspan Health Center, 2004-05
- Oregon Board of Naturopathic Examiners
Memberships and associations
- American Association of Naturopathic Physicians
- "Serum Adiponectin Levels, Neuroimaging, and Cognition in the Mayo Clinic Study of Aging." Journal of Alzheimer's Disease In: , Vol. 53, No. 2, 2016, p. 573-581.
- "Ascorbic acid and the brain : Rationale for the use against cognitive decline." Nutrients In: , Vol. 6, No. 4, 24.04.2014, p. 1752-1781.
- "Plasma omega-3 PUFA and white matter mediated executive decline in older adults." Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience In: , Vol. 5, No. DEC, Article 92, 2013.
- "Memory, mood, and vitamin d in persons with parkinson's disease." Journal of Parkinson's Disease In: , Vol. 3, No. 4, 2013, p. 547-555.
- "Serum vitamin d concentrations are associated with falling and cognitive function in older adults." Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging In: , Vol. 16, No. 10, 10.2012, p. 898-901.
- "Nutrient biomarker patterns, cognitive function, and MRI measures of brain aging." Neurology In: , Vol. 78, No. 16, 17.04.2012, p. 1281-1282.
- "Ascorbic acid, cognitive function, and Alzheimer's disease : A current review and future direction." BioFactors In: , Vol. 38, No. 2, 03.2012, p. 114-122.
- "Nutrient biomarker patterns, cognitive function, and MRI measures of brain aging." Neurology In: , Vol. 78, No. 4, 24.01.2012, p. 241-249.
- "Dyslipidemia and blood-brain barrier integrity in Alzheimer's disease." Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research In: , Vol. 2012, 184042, 2012.
- "Reliability and validity of food frequency questionnaire and nutrient biomarkers in elders with and without mild cognitive impairment." Alzheimer Disease and Associated Disorders In: , Vol. 25, No. 1, 01.2011, p. 49-57.
- "Comparisons of plasma/serum micronutrients between Okinawan and oregonian elders : A pilot study." Journals of Gerontology - Series A Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences In: , Vol. 65 A, No. 10, 10.2010, p. 1060-1067.
- "Uric acid as a CNS antioxidant." Journal of Alzheimer's Disease In: , Vol. 19, No. 4, 2010, p. 1331-1336.
- "Erratum : Ascorbic acid and rates of cognitive decline in Alzheimer's disease (Journal of Alzheimer's Disease (2009) 16:1 (93-98))." Journal of Alzheimer's Disease In: , Vol. 22, No. 3, 2010, p. 1039.
- "Ascorbic acid and rates of cognitive decline in Alzheimer's disease." Journal of Alzheimer's Disease In: , Vol. 16, No. 1, 2009, p. 93-98.
- "Alzheimer's disease and the blood-brain barrier : Past, present and future." Aging Health In: , Vol. 4, No. 1, 02.2008, p. 47-57.
- "Blood-brain barrier impairment in Alzheimer disease : Stability and functional significance." Neurology In: , Vol. 68, No. 21, 05.2007, p. 1809-1814.