Dr. Orwoll specializes in the evaluation and care of patients with osteoporosis, other forms of metabolic bone disorders, and abnormalities of calcium metabolism. He is professor of medicine and attending physician in the bone and mineral section of the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Clinical Nutrition, and has been the director of the Bone and Mineral Clinic, and of the Bone Density Lab.
He is an internationally recognized expert in the area of bone biology and metabolic bone disease, and has considerable experience in basic, clinical, and epidemiological investigation. Major areas of research interest include the epidemiology, etiology and therapy of osteoporosis in men, the evaluation of new diagnostics and therapeutics, osteogenesis imperfecta, effects of sex steroids on skeletal biology, and skeletal genetics/proteomics.
He has been the principle investigator for many projects supported by the National Institutes of Health, VA and foundations, and is the author of more than 400 peer reviewed publications, reviews, books, and book chapters. He is also an experienced leader in academic medicine who has had extensive responsibility for clinical and translational research planning and management. He has been the associate vice-president for research at OHSU, associate dean for clinical research in the School of Medicine, and the director of the Oregon Clinical and Translational Research Institute. Dr. Orwoll receives research support from the National Institutes of Health, the Osteogenesis Imperfecta Foundation, Merck, and Eli Lilly.Read more
- Medicine-Providence Medical Center, Portland
- Endocrinology-Oregon Health & Science University, Portland
- Internal medicine, endocrinology, and metabolism
- "Successful collection of stool samples for microbiome analyses from a large community-based population of elderly men." Contemporary Clinical Trials Communications In: , Vol. 7, 01.09.2017, p. 158-162.
- "Screening for Osteoporosis in Older Men : Operating Characteristics of Proposed Strategies for Selecting Men for BMD Testing." Journal of General Internal Medicine In: , 16.08.2017, p. 1-7.
- "24-hour profile of serum sclerostin and its association with bone biomarkers in men." Osteoporosis International In: , 26.07.2017, p. 1-9.
- "Cystatin C and the Risk of Frailty and Mortality in Older Men." Journals of Gerontology - Series A Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences In: , Vol. 72, No. 7, 01.07.2017, p. 965-970.
- "Older men with anemia have increased fracture risk independent of bone mineral density." Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism In: , Vol. 102, No. 7, 01.07.2017, p. 2199-2206.
- "Clinical practice guidelines for osteoporosis : Translating data to patients?" Annals of Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 166, No. 11, 06.06.2017, p. 852-853.
- "Trajectories of the relationships of physical activity with body composition changes in older men : the MrOS study." BMC Geriatrics In: , Vol. 17, No. 1, 119, 05.06.2017.
- "Harmonized reference ranges for circulating testosterone levels in men of four cohort studies in the United States and Europe." Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism In: , Vol. 102, No. 4, 01.04.2017, p. 1161-1173.
- "Further elucidation of the potential benefits of testosterone therapy in older men." JAMA Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 177, No. 4, 01.04.2017, p. 459-460.
- "Comparing identified and statistically significant lipids and polar metabolites in 15-year old serum and dried blood spot samples for longitudinal studies." Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry In: , Vol. 31, No. 5, 15.03.2017, p. 447-456.
- "The Association Between Protein Intake by Source and Osteoporotic Fracture in Older Men : A Prospective Cohort Study." Journal of Bone and Mineral Research In: , 2017.
- "Low Testosterone, but Not Estradiol, Is Associated With Incident Falls in Older Men : The International MrOS Study." Journal of Bone and Mineral Research In: , 2017.
- "Association of Increased Urinary Albumin With Risk of Incident Clinical Fracture and Rate of Hip Bone Loss : The Osteoporotic Fractures in Men Study." Journal of Bone and Mineral Research In: , 2017.
- "Association of Trabecular Bone Score (TBS) With Incident Clinical and Radiographic Vertebral Fractures Adjusted for Lumbar Spine BMD in Older Men : A Prospective Cohort Study." Journal of Bone and Mineral Research In: , 2017.
- "Identification of Hip BMD Loss and Fracture Risk Markers Through Population-Based Serum Proteomics." Journal of Bone and Mineral Research In: , 2017.
- "Rest-activity patterns and falls and fractures in older men." Osteoporosis International In: , 24.12.2016, p. 1-10.
- "Novel Genetic Variants Associated With Increased Vertebral Volumetric BMD, Reduced Vertebral Fracture Risk, and Increased Expression of SLC1A3 and EPHB2." Journal of Bone and Mineral Research In: , Vol. 31, No. 12, 01.12.2016, p. 2085-2097.
- "SHBG, Sex Steroids, and Kyphosis in Older Men : The MrOS Study." Journal of Bone and Mineral Research In: , Vol. 31, No. 12, 01.12.2016, p. 2123-2128.
- "Areal and volumetric bone mineral density and risk of multiple types of fracture in older men." Bone In: , Vol. 92, 01.11.2016, p. 100-106.
- "Erratum to : Clinical utility of routine laboratory testing to identify possible secondary causes in older men with osteoporosis: the osteoporotic fractures in men (MrOS) study." Osteoporosis International In: , 20.10.2016, p. 1-2.
- "Sensorimotor peripheral nerve function and physical activity in older men." Journal of Aging and Physical Activity In: , Vol. 24, No. 4, 01.10.2016, p. 559-566.
- "Thyroid Function Variations Within the Reference Range Do Not Affect Quality of Life, Mood, or Cognitive Function in Community-Dwelling Older Men." Thyroid In: , Vol. 26, No. 9, 01.09.2016, p. 1185-1194.
- "Comparison of Associations of DXA and CT Visceral Adipose Tissue Measures With Insulin Resistance, Lipid Levels, and Inflammatory Markers." Journal of Clinical Densitometry In: , 01.09.2016.
- "What Proportion of Incident Radiographic Vertebral Fractures in Older Men Is Clinically Diagnosed and Vice Versa : A Prospective Study." Journal of Bone and Mineral Research In: , Vol. 31, No. 8, 01.08.2016, p. 1500-1503.
- "Association of 3D Geometric Measures Derived From Quantitative Computed Tomography With Hip Fracture Risk in Older Men." Journal of Bone and Mineral Research In: , Vol. 31, No. 8, 01.08.2016, p. 1550-1558.
- "Operator variability in scan positioning is a major component of HR-pQCT precision error and is reduced by standardized training." Osteoporosis International In: , 30.07.2016, p. 1-13.
- "Characterization of FN1–FGFR1 and novel FN1–FGF1 fusion genes in a large series of phosphaturic mesenchymal tumors." Modern Pathology In: , 22.07.2016.
- "Association of urinary melatonin levels and aging-related outcomes in older men." Sleep Medicine In: , Vol. 23, 01.07.2016, p. 73-80.
- "Passing the baton - Harnessing the full value of older scientists." New England Journal of Medicine In: , Vol. 374, No. 26, 30.06.2016, p. 2514-2517.
- "Predictors of non-vertebral fracture in older Chinese males and females : Mr. OS and Ms. OS (Hong Kong)." Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism In: , 25.05.2016, p. 1-8.