Dr. Orwoll specializes in the evaluation and care of patients with osteoporosis, other forms of metabolic bone disorders, and abnormalities of calcium metabolism. He is professor of medicine and attending physician in the bone and mineral section of the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Clinical Nutrition, and has been the director of the Bone and Mineral Clinic, and of the Bone Density Lab.
He is an internationally recognized expert in the area of bone biology and metabolic bone disease, and has considerable experience in basic, clinical, and epidemiological investigation. Major areas of research interest include the epidemiology, etiology and therapy of osteoporosis in men, the evaluation of new diagnostics and therapeutics, osteogenesis imperfecta, effects of sex steroids on skeletal biology, and skeletal genetics/proteomics.
He has been the principle investigator for many projects supported by the National Institutes of Health, VA and foundations, and is the author of more than 400 peer reviewed publications, reviews, books, and book chapters. He is also an experienced leader in academic medicine who has had extensive responsibility for clinical and translational research planning and management. He has been the associate vice-president for research at OHSU, associate dean for clinical research in the School of Medicine, and the director of the Oregon Clinical and Translational Research Institute. Dr. Orwoll receives research support from the National Institutes of Health, the Osteogenesis Imperfecta Foundation, Merck, and Eli Lilly.Read more
- Medicine-Providence Medical Center, Portland
- Endocrinology-Oregon Health & Science University, Portland
- Internal medicine, endocrinology, and metabolism
- "Comparison of fracture risk assessment tools in older men without prior hip or spine fracture : the MrOS study." Archives of Osteoporosis In: , Vol. 12, No. 1, 91, 01.12.2017.
- "Large meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies identifies five loci for lean body mass." Nature Communications In: , Vol. 8, No. 1, 80, 01.12.2017.
- "Correction to : Comparison of fracture risk assessment tools in older men without prior hip or spine fracture: the MrOS study (Arch Osteoporos, 10.1007/s11657-017-0389-1)." Archives of Osteoporosis In: , Vol. 12, No. 1, 99, 01.12.2017.
- "Rest-activity circadian rhythms and bone mineral density in elderly men." Bone Reports In: , Vol. 7, 01.12.2017, p. 156-163.
- "Association of incident hip fracture with the estimated femoral strength by finite element analysis of DXA scans in the Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) study." Osteoporosis International In: , 22.11.2017, p. 1-9.
- "Evaluating Atypical Features of Femur Fractures : How Change in Radiological Criteria Influenced Incidence and Demography of Atypical Femur Fractures in a Community Setting." Journal of Bone and Mineral Research In: , Vol. 32, No. 11, 01.11.2017, p. 2304-2314.
- "High dairy protein intake is associated with greater bone strength parameters at the distal radius and tibia in older men : a cross-sectional study." Osteoporosis International In: , 23.10.2017, p. 1-9.
- "Obesity and Falls in a Prospective Study of Older Men : The Osteoporotic Fractures in Men Study." Journal of Aging and Health In: , Vol. 29, No. 7, 01.10.2017, p. 1235-1250.
- "Clinical Definitions of Sarcopenia and Risk of Hospitalization in Community-Dwelling Older Men : The Osteoporotic Fractures in Men Study." Journals of Gerontology - Series A Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences In: , Vol. 72, No. 10, 01.10.2017, p. 1383-1389.
- "Bone Turnover Markers After Sleep Restriction and Circadian Disruption : A Mechanism for Sleep-Related Bone Loss in Humans." The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism In: , Vol. 102, No. 10, 01.10.2017, p. 3722-3730.
- "Successful collection of stool samples for microbiome analyses from a large community-based population of elderly men." Contemporary Clinical Trials Communications In: , Vol. 7, 01.09.2017, p. 158-162.
- "Screening for Osteoporosis in Older Men : Operating Characteristics of Proposed Strategies for Selecting Men for BMD Testing." Journal of General Internal Medicine In: , 16.08.2017, p. 1-7.
- "Low-Frequency Synonymous Coding Variation in CYP2R1 Has Large Effects on Vitamin D Levels and Risk of Multiple Sclerosis." American Journal of Human Genetics In: , Vol. 101, No. 2, 03.08.2017, p. 227-238.
- "NFAT5 and SLC4A10 loci associate with plasma osmolality." Journal of the American Society of Nephrology In: , Vol. 28, No. 8, 01.08.2017, p. 2311-2321.
- "24-hour profile of serum sclerostin and its association with bone biomarkers in men." Osteoporosis International In: , 26.07.2017, p. 1-9.
- "Large-scale GWAS identifies multiple loci for hand grip strength providing biological insights into muscular fitness." Nature Communications In: , Vol. 8, 16015, 12.07.2017.
- "Cystatin C and the Risk of Frailty and Mortality in Older Men." Journals of Gerontology - Series A Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences In: , Vol. 72, No. 7, 01.07.2017, p. 965-970.
- "Older men with anemia have increased fracture risk independent of bone mineral density." Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism In: , Vol. 102, No. 7, 01.07.2017, p. 2199-2206.
- "Clinical practice guidelines for osteoporosis : Translating data to patients?" Annals of Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 166, No. 11, 06.06.2017, p. 852-853.
- "Trajectories of the relationships of physical activity with body composition changes in older men : the MrOS study." BMC Geriatrics In: , Vol. 17, No. 1, 119, 05.06.2017.
- "Genetic variants associated with circulating parathyroid hormone." Journal of the American Society of Nephrology In: , Vol. 28, No. 5, 01.05.2017, p. 1553-1565.
- "Harmonized reference ranges for circulating testosterone levels in men of four cohort studies in the United States and Europe." Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism In: , Vol. 102, No. 4, 01.04.2017, p. 1161-1173.
- "Further elucidation of the potential benefits of testosterone therapy in older men." JAMA Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 177, No. 4, 01.04.2017, p. 459-460.
- "Comparing identified and statistically significant lipids and polar metabolites in 15-year old serum and dried blood spot samples for longitudinal studies." Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry In: , Vol. 31, No. 5, 15.03.2017, p. 447-456.
- "The Association Between Protein Intake by Source and Osteoporotic Fracture in Older Men : A Prospective Cohort Study." Journal of Bone and Mineral Research In: , 2017.
- "Low Testosterone, but Not Estradiol, Is Associated With Incident Falls in Older Men : The International MrOS Study." Journal of Bone and Mineral Research In: , 2017.
- "Association of Increased Urinary Albumin With Risk of Incident Clinical Fracture and Rate of Hip Bone Loss : The Osteoporotic Fractures in Men Study." Journal of Bone and Mineral Research In: , 2017.
- "Association of Trabecular Bone Score (TBS) With Incident Clinical and Radiographic Vertebral Fractures Adjusted for Lumbar Spine BMD in Older Men : A Prospective Cohort Study." Journal of Bone and Mineral Research In: , 2017.
- "Identification of Hip BMD Loss and Fracture Risk Markers Through Population-Based Serum Proteomics." Journal of Bone and Mineral Research In: , 2017.
- "DXA-derived hip shape is related to osteoarthritis : Findings from in the MrOS cohort." Osteoarthritis and Cartilage In: , 2017.