- Professor in the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Adjunct Researcher with the National Center for Rehabilitative Auditory Research, Portland VAMC
- Assistant and Associate Professor in the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
Areas of interest
- Immune-mediated inner-ear disease and hearing loss
- Intratympanic delivery of steroids for improved recovery of hearing loss
- Development of novel treatments for hearing loss
- Ion and water transport dysfunction in different forms of hearing loss
- Control of inflammatory processes of the middle ear
- Impact on middle-ear inflammation on the inner ear
- B.A., University of Michigan, Flint Michigan United States 1972
- M.S., Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff Arizona United States 1974
- Ph.D., Louisiana State University, New Orleans Louisiana United States 1979
- M.B.A., Portland State University, Portland Oregon United States 1996
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow (1979-1983), Otological Research Laboratories, Department of Otolaryngology, Ohio State University, Columbus
Honors and awards
- Beta Gamma Sigma, Business Honor Society (1996), M.B.A. Program Honor Student (3.80 GPA), Portland State University
- Top Ten Teachers of Freshman Class (1987), Oregon Health Sciences University
- Who's Who In American Colleges and Universities (1979); Doctorate Program Honor Student (3.91 GPA), The Louisiana State University Medical School
Trune, DR, Kempton, B, Hausman, F, Larrain, BE, MacArthur, CJ. Correlative mRNA and Protein Expression of Middle and Inner Ear Inflammatory Cytokines during Mouse Acute Otitis Media. Hear Res, 326:49-58, 2015
Lighthall JG, Kempton JB, Hausman F, MacArthur CJ, Trune DR. Control of middle ear inflammatory and ion homeostasis genes by transtympanic steroid treatment. PLoS ONE 10(3): e0119228. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0119228, 2015.
MacArthur CJ, Hausman F, Kempton B, Trune DR. Intra-tympanic steroid treatments may improve hearing via ion homeostasis alterations and not immune suppression. Otol Neurotol, 36:1089-1095, 2015.
MacArthur CJ, Wilmot B, Wang LY, Schuller M, Trune DR. Genetic susceptibility to chronic otitis media with effusion (COME): candidate gene SNPs. Laryngoscope, 124:1229-35, 2014.
MacArthur CJ, Hausman F, Kempton JB, Choi D, Trune DR. Otitis media impacts hundreds of mouse middle and inner ear genes. PLoS ONE 8(10): e75213. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0075213. 2013.
Trune DR, Canlon B. Corticosteroid therapy for hearing and balance disorders. Anat Rec, 295:1928-43, 2012.7. Trune DR, Nguyen-Huynh A. Vascular pathophysiology in hearing disorders. Sem Hear, 33:242-50, 2012.
MacArthur CJ, Hausman F, Kempton JB, Sautter N, Trune DR. Inner ear tissue remodeling and ion homeostasis gene alteration in murine chronic otitis media. Otol Neurotol, 34:338-46, 2013.
Morris, LM, DeGagne JM, Kempton, JB, Hausman, F, Trune, DR. Mouse middle ear ion homeostasis channels and intercellular junctions. PLoS One 7(6): e39004. Doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0039004, 2012. Correction PLoS ONE. 2013;8(4). doi: 10.1371. Epub 2013 Apr 1.