I support the Oregon Institute of Occupational Health Science's Outreach and Education Programs and provide industrial hygiene technical expertise to its research. I am also the Outreach and Education Director for the NIOSH-funded Oregon Healthy Workforce Center. My key outreach responsibilities include connecting with our stakeholders through: state-wide, regional and national conferences, instructing on occupational health, safety and Total Worker Health, creating continuing education opportunities, participating in coalitions and initiatives, managing social media blogs and websites, and supporting the Toxicology and Occupational Health Information Center. I provide industrial hygiene support to Institute and OHWC projects, and to OHSU Global Southeast Asia. My goal is to make Occupational Health Science's research and resources highly visible, relevant and valuable to employers, workers and health and safety professionals.
Ms. Montgomery received her MS from the School of Public Health, Department of Environmental Health Sciences at the University of Washington and her BA in Biology from the University of Montana. She was certified in the Comprehensive Practice of Industrial Hygiene by the American Board of Industrial Hygiene in 1990. Before joining OHSU in 2004 she held positions with a Portland-based industrial hygiene and training consulting firm and as the Regional Health and Safety Manager for EPA Region 10 in Seattle. Ms. Montgomery previously served as External Advisory Committee Chair for the NIOSH- funded ERC at the Northwest Center for Occupational Health and Safety. She is frequently requested to present regionally and nationally on topics related to occupational safety and health, Total Worker Health, and young worker safety.
Toolkits and Resources in Total Worker Health®, 2017 Oregon Governor's Occupational Safety and Health Conference, Portland, OR, March 2017
Introduction to Safety - Careers in Safety, Discover OHSU, Office of Science Education, OHSU, Portland, OR, Spring 2017
Achieving Excellence in Worker Outcomes Through Team Collaboration (Co-Presenter), American Association of Occupational Health Nurses National Conference April 2017
The Sky is Falling! The Sky is Falling! Building Skills for Communicating Risk Accurately and Effectively in Good Times and Bad, American Association of Occupational Health Nurses National Conference, April 2017
Advanced Occupational Health Course, OHSU Global Health - SE Asia, Bangkok, Thailand, May 2017
Respiratory Protection and Fit-Testing Course, OHSU Global Health - SE Asia, Bangkok, Thailand, May 2017
Using Social Media to Fire up Health Messaging, UW DEOHS Continuing Education, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, June 2017
Social Media for Safety in 4 Easy Steps, Washington Governor's Industrial Safety Conference, Tacoma, WA, September 2017
Areas of interest
- Total Worker Health interventions and dissemination
- Risk communication
- Precarious and vulnerable worker protection
- Young worker safety and health
- Industrial hygiene
- Speaking engagements on occupational safety and health and Total Worker Health.
- M.S., University of Washington School of Public Health, Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Seattle Washington United States 1986
- B.A., University of Montana, School of Biological Sciences, Missoula Montana United States 1983
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH)
Honors and awards
- 2010-2011 Safety Professional of the Year by the Columbia-Willamette Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers.
Memberships and associations
- American Society of Safety Engineers Committee on Professional Affairs (ASSE COPA)
- American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE); American Society of Safety Engineers Columbia-Willamette Chapter (ASSE_CWC)
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists
- Board Chair, Oregon Young Employee Safety Coalition (O[yes])
- American Industrial Hygiene Association Pacific Northwest Chapter (AIHA-PNS)
Identifying Health and Safety Concerns in Southeast Asian Immigrant Nail Salon Workers.
White H, Khan K, Lau C, Leung H, Montgomery D, Rohlman DS.
Arch Environ Occup Health. 2015;70(4):196-203. doi: 10.1080/19338244.2013.853644.PMID:25965322
Effectiveness of Total Worker Health Interventions.
Anger WK, Elliot DL, Bodner T, Olson R, Rohlman DS, Truxillo DM, Kuehl KS, Hammer LB, Montgomery D.
J Occup Health Psychol. 2015 Apr;20(2):226-47. doi: 10.1037/a0038340. Epub 2014 Dec 22.PMID:25528687
Characterizing the Needs of a Young Working Population: Making the case for Total Worker Health in an emerging workforce.
Rohlman DS, Parish M, Elliot DL, Montgomery D, Hanson G.
J Occup Environ Med. 2013 Dec;55(12 Suppl):S69-72. doi: 10.1097/JOM.0000000000000039.
Hair, Formaldehyde, and Industrial Hygiene, NIOSH Science Blog
February 10th, 2012
My Music Man, Memoir, Bedazzled Ink Press, October 2017, ISBN-10: 1945805412 ISBN-13: 978-1945805417