Cynthia Perry is the Director of the Family Nurse Practitioner Program and Associate Professor at Oregon Health & Science University School of Nursing. She holds a PhD in nursing science from OHSU, MSN for family nurse practitioner from Yale, and BA in anthropology from Northwestern. She has practiced as an FNP in various settings including rural Oregon and Alaska. She currently practices at OHSU Anticoagulation Clinic. Her research focuses on physical activity promotion as an avenue to reducing health disparities within rural and Latino communities using a community-based participatory research approach. She works on multidisciplinary national research teams and networks as well as with local communities. She is developing an expertise in dissemination and implementation of public health programs and clinical interventions. She is a fellow of the American Heart Association.
- Ph.D., Oregon Health & Science University Oregon 1910
- M.S.N., Yale School of Nursing Connecticut 1910
- B.A., Northwestern University, Evanston Illinois 1910
- "Ciclovia in a rural latino community : Results and lessons learned." Journal of Public Health Management and Practice In: , Vol. 23, No. 4, 2017, p. 360-363.
- "Places where children are active : A longitudinal examination of children's physical activity." Preventive Medicine In: , Vol. 93, 01.12.2016, p. 88-95.
- "Sedentary behavior and cardiovascular morbidity and mortality : A science advisory from the American Heart Association." Circulation In: , Vol. 134, No. 13, 27.09.2016, p. e262-e279.
- "Physical activity-related policy and environmental strategies to prevent obesity in rural communities : A systematic review of the literature, 2002-2013." Preventing chronic disease In: , Vol. 13, No. 1, 150406, 2016.
- "What walking means to moms : Insights from a national sample to frame walking in compelling ways to low-income urban mothers." Journal of Transport and Health In: , 2016.
- "Re-Envisioning a DNP Program for Quality and Sustainability." Journal of Professional Nursing In: , 2016.
- "Active living environment assessments in four rural Latino communities." Preventive Medicine Reports In: , Vol. 2, 2015, p. 818-823.
- "Recreational physical activity in postmenopausal women is stable over 8 years of follow-up." Journal of Physical Activity and Health In: , Vol. 10, No. 5, 07.2013, p. 656-668.
- "Does neighborhood walkability moderate the effects of intrapersonal characteristics on amount of walking in post-menopausal women?" Health and Place In: , Vol. 21, 05.2013, p. 39-45.
- "Physical activity interventions for adolescents : An ecological perspective." Journal of Primary Prevention In: , Vol. 33, No. 2-3, 06.2012, p. 111-135.
- "A pilot study of Wii Fit exergames to improve balance in older adults." Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy In: , Vol. 34, No. 4, 10.2011, p. 161-167.
- "Commitment strength in motivational interviewing and movement in exercise stage of change in women." Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners In: , Vol. 23, No. 9, 09.2011, p. 509-514.
- "Rural latino youth park use : Characteristics, park amenities, and physical activity." Journal of Community Health In: , Vol. 36, No. 3, 06.2011, p. 389-397.
- "Feasibility of an intergenerational tai chi program : A community-based participatory research project." Journal of Intergenerational Relationships In: , Vol. 9, No. 1, 01.2011, p. 69-84.
- "Intrapersonal, behavioral, and environmental factors associated with meeting recommended physical activity among rural Latino youth." Pediatric Exercise Science In: , Vol. 23, No. 4, 2011, p. 521-536.
- "Assessing tribal youth physical activity and programming using a community-based participatory research approach." Public Health Nursing In: , Vol. 27, No. 2, 03.2010, p. 104-114.
- "Master plans for pedestrian and bicycle transportation : Community characteristics." Journal of Physical Activity and Health In: , Vol. 7, No. SUPPL.1, 03.2010.
- "Rural women walking for health." Western Journal of Nursing Research In: , Vol. 30, No. 3, 04.2008, p. 295-316.
- "Heart-to-Heart : Promoting walking in rural women through motivational interviewing and group support." Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing In: , Vol. 22, No. 4, 07.2007, p. 304-312.
- "Heart disease prevention in women : Promoting exercise." Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners In: , Vol. 18, No. 12, 12.2006, p. 568-573.
- "Learning through connections with others : Women's cardiac symptoms." Patient Education and Counseling In: , Vol. 57, No. 1, 04.2005, p. 143-146.