Dr. Amling specializes in treating cancers of the urinary and reproductive system, including the prostate, kidneys and bladder. He is an expert in minimally invasive cancer treatments, including robotic surgery for prostate and bladder cancer. Before coming to OHSU, Dr. Amling directed the Division of Urology at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, where he held the Anton J. Beuschen Chair in urologic surgery and research. Previously, he was chairman of the Department of Urology at the U.S. Naval Medical Center in San Diego.
Dr. Amling is a national and international authority on the latest prostate cancer treatments, including surgery with the da Vinci robotic system. He has also developed new ways to educate surgical residents and published many articles in medical journals on diagnosing and treating prostate cancer.
An Oregon native, he was born in Coquille and graduated from the University of Oregon and OHSU School of Medicine. He is board certified in urology and is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a member of the American Urologic Association, which chose him for a prestigious award in 2009. Each year, the Gold Cystoscope Award goes to a urologist who has made important contributions to the specialty within 13 years of finishing residency training.
Other awards and honors include being elected president of the Society of University Urologists and serving on the editorial board of the Journal of Urology. Dr. Amling also reviews papers submitted for publication in the Journal of the American Medical Association, the Journal of Urology and Cancer and several other medical journals.
- M.D., Oregon Health & Science University, Portland Oregon 1985
- Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 1990-1992
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN Department of Urology, urologic oncology, 1996-1997
- Diplomat, American Board of Urology
Memberships and associations
- American Urologic Association, Western Section - American Urologic Association, American College of Surgeons, American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons, Society of Urologic Oncology, Western Urologic Forum, Society of University Urologists, Society of Urology Chairman and Program Directors, and Society of Government Service Urologists.
- "Predictors of operative time during radical retropubic prostatectomy and robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy." International Journal of Urology In: , Vol. 24, No. 8, 01.08.2017, p. 618-623.
- "Direct magnetic resonance imaging-guided biopsy of the prostate : Lessons learned in establishing a regional referral center." Translational Andrology and Urology In: , Vol. 6, No. 3, 01.06.2017, p. 395-405.
- "Predicting Time From Metastasis to Overall Survival in Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer : Results From SEARCH." Clinical Genitourinary Cancer In: , Vol. 15, No. 1, 01.02.2017, p. 60-66.e2.
- "Falls and Frailty in Prostate Cancer Survivors : Current, Past, and Never Users of Androgen Deprivation Therapy." Journal of the American Geriatrics Society In: , 2017.
- "Thresholds for PSA doubling time in men with non-metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer." BJU International In: , 2017.
- "Race and risk of metastases and survival after radical prostatectomy : Results from the SEARCH database." Cancer In: , 2017.
- "Characterization of a "low-risk" cohort of grade group 2 prostate cancer patients : Results from the Shared Equal Access Regional Cancer Hospital database." International Journal of Urology In: , 2017.
- "Validation of the 2015 prostate cancer grade groups for predicting long-term oncologic outcomes in a shared equal-access health system." Cancer In: , 2017.
- "Timing of Prostate-specific Antigen Nadir After Radical Prostatectomy and Risk of Biochemical Recurrence." Urology In: , 2017.
- "Race does not predict the development of metastases in men with nonmetastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer." Cancer In: , Vol. 122, No. 24, 15.12.2016, p. 3848-3855.
- "Long-term oncological outcomes of apical positive surgical margins at radical prostatectomy in the Shared Equal Access Regional Cancer Hospital cohort." Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases In: , Vol. 19, No. 4, 01.12.2016, p. 423-428.
- "Pathological and Biochemical Outcomes among African-American and Caucasian Men with Low Risk Prostate Cancer in the SEARCH Database : Implications for Active Surveillance Candidacy." Journal of Urology In: , Vol. 196, No. 5, 01.11.2016, p. 1408-1414.
- "Obesity and prostate cancer-specific mortality after radical prostatectomy : results from the Shared Equal Access Regional Cancer Hospital (SEARCH) database." Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases In: , 04.10.2016.
- "Validation of a bone scan positivity risk table in non-metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer." BJU International In: , Vol. 118, No. 4, 01.10.2016, p. 570-577.
- "Do all men with pathological Gleason score 8–10 prostate cancer have poor outcomes? Results from the SEARCH database." BJU International In: , Vol. 118, No. 2, 01.08.2016, p. 250-257.
- "Do skeletal-related events predict overall survival in men with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer?" Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases In: , 05.07.2016.
- "Racial differences in the association between preoperative serum cholesterol and prostate cancer recurrence : Results from the SEARCH database." Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention In: , Vol. 25, No. 3, 01.03.2016, p. 547-554.
- "Utilization and impact of surgical technique on the performance of pelvic lymph node dissection at radical prostatectomy : Results from the Shared Equal Access Regional Cancer Hospital database." International Journal of Urology In: , Vol. 23, No. 3, 01.03.2016, p. 241-246.
- "Positive surgical margins in radical prostatectomy patients do not predict long-term oncological outcomes : Results from the Shared Equal Access Regional Cancer Hospital (SEARCH) cohort." BJU International In: , Vol. 117, No. 2, 01.02.2016, p. 244-248.
- "Predictors of Time to Metastasis in Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer." Urology In: , 01.02.2016.
- "Is computed tomography a necessary part of a metastatic evaluation for castration-resistant prostate cancer? Results from the Shared Equal Access Regional Cancer Hospital Database." Cancer In: , Vol. 122, No. 2, 15.01.2016, p. 222-229.
- "Number of Unfavorable Intermediate-Risk Factors Predicts Pathologic Upstaging and Prostate Cancer-Specific Mortality Following Radical Prostatectomy : Results From the SEARCH Database." Prostate In: , 2016.
- "In Men with Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer, Visceral Metastases Predict Shorter Overall Survival : What Predicts Visceral Metastases? Results from the SEARCH Database." European Urology Focus In: , 2016.
- "Factors predicting skeletal-related events in patients with bone metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer." Cancer In: , 2016.
- "Predicting bone scan positivity in non-metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer." Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases In: , Vol. 18, No. 4, 01.12.2015, p. 333-337.
- "Does larger tumor volume explain the higher prostate specific antigen levels in black men with prostate cancer-Results from the SEARCH database." Cancer Epidemiology In: , Vol. 39, No. 6, 01.12.2015, p. 1066-1070.
- "Erratum : Cigarette smoking is associated with an increased risk of biochemical disease recurrence, metastasis, castration-resistant prostate cancer, and mortality after radical prostatectomy (Cancer (2014), 120 (197-204))." Cancer In: , Vol. 121, No. 23, 01.12.2015, p. 4272.
- "Smoking is a predictor of adverse pathological features at radical prostatectomy : Results from the Shared Equal Access Regional Cancer Hospital database." International Journal of Urology In: , Vol. 22, No. 7, 01.07.2015, p. 658-662.
- "Agent Orange and long-term outcomes after radical prostatectomy." Urologic Oncology: Seminars and Original Investigations In: , Vol. 33, No. 7, 01.07.2015.
- "Is clinical stage T2c prostate cancer an intermediate- or high-risk disease?" Cancer In: , Vol. 121, No. 9, 01.05.2015, p. 1414-1421.