Charles Roberts, Ph.D., is Associate Director for Research and Professor in the Divisions of Cardiometabolic Heath and Reproductive and Developmental Sciences at the Oregon National Primate Research Center (ONPRC) and Professor of Medicine, Pediatrics, and Cell, Developmental, and Cancer Biology at Oregon Heath & Science University (OHSU). He received his Ph.D. in biochemistry and molecular biology at the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB), in 1975. Following an American Cancer Society-supported postdoctoral fellowship, he was an Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences at UCSB from 1978-1984. He was then recruited to the Diabetes Branch at the National Institutes of Health in 1984 as a Special Expert, was appointed Associate Chief of the Section of Molecular Physiology in 1989 with tenure, and promoted to Senior Investigator in 1992. In 1994, Dr. Roberts was recruited to OHSU as Professor of Pediatrics and Associate Chair for Research. He was subsequently recruited to ONPRC in 2007. Dr. Roberts has been continuously funded by the NIH for 40 years, has served on ~50 NIH and DOD grant review panels, has co-founded two biotechnology companies, and holds six issued patents in the clinical therapeutics and diagnostics area. Dr. Roberts’ research has focused on a number of aspects of growth factor and hormone action in obesity, diabetes, and cancer. His current research utilizes nonhuman primate models of over- and undernutrition to investigate disorders of adipose and islet function and is funded by the NIH, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and pharma.
- B.A., University of California, Santa Barbara California 1971
- Ph.D., University of California, Santa Barbara California 1975
- 1977 Postdoctoral fellowship, University of California, Santa Barbara, Gene Regulation
Honors and awards
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Fellowship Award, 10/74
- American Cancer Society Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1975-1977
Memberships and associations
- 2010-present External Advisory Board, UC Irvine Institute for Clinical and Translational Science (CTSA)
- 2011-2013 Endocrine Society Annual Meeting Steering Committee
- 2011-2017 NIDDK Cellular Aspects of Diabetes and Obesity (CADO) IRG
- 2013-present Frontiers in Endocrinology editorial board
- 2014 Grant reviewer, Diabetes Fonds (Netherlands)
- 2014 External project reviewer, Science Foundation Ireland
- 2016-present Board of Directors, National Association for Biomedical Research
- European Association for the Study of Diabetes
- International Society for IGF Research
Varlamov, O., Chu, M., McGee, W., Cameron, J., O’Rourke, R.O., Meyer, K., Bishop, C., Stouffer, R., and Roberts, C.T., Jr. Ovarian cycle-specific regulation of adipose tissue lipid storage by testosterone in female non-human primates. Endocrinology 154:4126-4135 (2013).
Menting, J.G., Yang, Y., Chan, S.J., Phillips, N.B., Smith, B.J. et al. A protective hinge in insulin opens to enable receptor engagement. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 111:E3395-E3404 (2014).
Yuen, K.C.J., Roberts, C.T., Jr., Frystyk, J., Rooney, W.D., Pollaro, J.R., Brandon, D.D., Klopfenstein, B.J., and Purnell, J.Q. Short-term low-dose GH therapy improves insulin sensitivity without modifying cortisol metabolism and ectopic fat accumulation in adults with GH deficiency. J. Clin. Endo. Metabol. 99:E1862-1869 (2014).
Chu, M., Cahana, D.Y., Kahl, C., Cornea, A., Sampath, H., Roberts, C.T., Jr., and Varlamov, O. Spatiotemporal dynamics of triglyceride storage in unilocular adipocytes. Mol. Biol. Cell 25:4096-4105 (2014).
Bakhtiani, P.A., Caputo, N., Castle, J.R., El Youssef, J., Carroll, J.M., David, L.L., Roberts, C.T., Jr., and Ward, W.K. A novel, stable aqueous glucagon formulation using ferulic acid as an excipient. J. Diabetes Sci. Tech. 9:3-7 (2015).
Varlamov, O., Chu, M., Cornea, A., Sampath, H., and Roberts, C.T., Jr. Cell-autonomous heterogeneity of nutrient uptake in white adipose tissue of rhesus macaques. Endocrinology 156:80-89 (2015).
- "Adverse Placental Perfusion and Pregnancy Outcomes in a New Nonhuman Primate Model of Gestational Protein Restriction." Reproductive Sciences In: , Vol. 25, No. 1, 01.01.2018, p. 110-119.
- "Sex differences in androgen regulation of metabolism in nonhuman primates." Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology. Vol. 1043 Springer New York LLC, 2017. p. 559-574 (Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology; Vol. 1043).
- "Coordinate regulation of residual bone marrow function by paracrine trafficking of AML exosomes." Leukemia In: , 25.06.2015.
- "Glycosylated fibronectin as a first-trimester biomarker for prediction of gestational diabetes." Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics In: , Vol. 17, 01.02.2015, p. S68.
- "A novel, stable, aqueous Glucagon formulation using Ferulic acid as an Excipient." Journal of diabetes science and technology In: , Vol. 9, No. 1, 01.01.2015, p. 17-23.
- "Salivary protein glycosylation as a noninvasive biomarker for assessment of glycemia." Journal of diabetes science and technology In: , Vol. 9, No. 1, 01.01.2015, p. 97-104.
- "Maternal serum glycosylated fibronectin as a point-of-care biomarker for assessment of preeclampsia." American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology In: , Vol. 212, No. 1, 01.01.2015, p. 82.e1-82e9.
- "Cell-Autonomous heterogeneity of nutrient uptake in white adipose tissue of rhesus macaques." Endocrinology In: , Vol. 156, No. 1, 01.01.2015, p. 80-89.
- "Maternal serum biomarkers for risk assessment in gestational diabetes. A potential universal screening test to predict GDM status." Indian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism In: , Vol. 19, No. 1, 01.01.2015, p. 155-159.
- "The MAFB transcription factor impacts islet α-cell function in rodents and represents a unique signature of primate islet β-cells." American Journal of Physiology - Endocrinology and Metabolism In: , Vol. 310, No. 1, 2015, p. E91-E102.
- "Short-term, low-dose GH therapy improves insulin sensitivity without modifying cortisol metabolism and ectopic fat accumulation in adults with GH deficiency." Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism In: , Vol. 99, No. 10, 01.10.2014, p. E1862-E1869.
- "Protective hinge in insulin opens to enable its receptor engagement." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America In: , Vol. 111, No. 33, 19.08.2014.
- "Sex-specific differences in lipid and glucose metabolism." Frontiers in Endocrinology In: , Vol. 5, No. DEC, 241, 2014.
- "Biochemical stabilization of glucagon at alkaline pH." Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics In: , Vol. 16, No. 11, 2014, p. 747-758.
- "Ovarian cycle-specific regulation of adipose tissue lipid storage by testosterone in female nonhuman primates." Endocrinology In: , Vol. 154, No. 11, 01.11.2013, p. 4126-4135.
- "Glycosylated fibronectin as a first-trimester biomarker for prediction of gestational diabetes." Obstetrics and Gynecology In: , Vol. 122, No. 3, 09.2013, p. 586-594.
- "Vesicle trafficking and RNA transfer add complexity and connectivity to Cell-cell communication." Cancer Research In: , Vol. 73, No. 11, 01.06.2013, p. 3200-3205.
- "RNA trafficking by acute myelogenous leukemia exosomes." Cancer Research In: , Vol. 73, No. 2, 15.01.2013, p. 918-929.
- "Mechanisms of glucagon degradation at alkaline pH." Peptides In: , Vol. 45, 2013, p. 40-47.
- "Stable liquid glucagon formulations for rescue treatment and bi-hormonal closed-loop pancreas." Current Diabetes Reports In: , Vol. 12, No. 6, 12.2012, p. 705-710.
- "α-Helical element at the hormone-binding surface of the insulin receptor functions as a signaling element to activate its tyrosine kinase." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America In: , Vol. 109, No. 28, 10.07.2012, p. 11166-11171.
- "Androgen effects on adipose tissue architecture and function in nonhuman primates." Endocrinology In: , Vol. 153, No. 7, 07.2012, p. 3100-3110.
- "Phase I/II trial and pharmacokinetic study of cixutumumab in pediatric patients with refractory solid tumors and Ewing sarcoma : A report from the Children's Oncology Group." Journal of Clinical Oncology In: , Vol. 30, No. 3, 20.01.2012, p. 256-262.
- "Live-cell imaging demonstrates rapid cargo exchange between lipid droplets in adipocytes." FEBS Letters In: , Vol. 585, No. 12, 23.06.2011, p. 1946-1950.
- "Hypoxia-induced inflammatory cytokine secretion in human adipose tissue stromovascular cells." Diabetologia In: , Vol. 54, No. 6, 06.2011, p. 1480-1490.
- "Plasma distribution and signaling activities of IGF-II precursors." Endocrinology In: , Vol. 152, No. 3, 03.2011, p. 922-930.
- "In vitro and in vivo evaluation of native glucagon and glucagon analog (MAR-D28) during aging : Lack of cytotoxicity and preservation of hyperglycemic effect." Journal of diabetes science and technology In: , Vol. 4, No. 6, 11.2010, p. 1311-1321.
- "Single-cell analysis of insulin-regulated fatty acid uptake in adipocytes." American Journal of Physiology - Endocrinology and Metabolism In: , Vol. 299, No. 3, 09.2010.
- "Contribution of residue B5 to the folding and function of insulin and IGF-I : Constraints and fine-tuning in the evolution of a protein family." Journal of Biological Chemistry In: , Vol. 285, No. 7, 12.02.2010, p. 5040-5055.
- "Depot-specific differences in inflammatory mediators and a role for NK cells and IFN-γ in inflammation in human adipose tissue." International Journal of Obesity In: , Vol. 33, No. 9, 09.2009, p. 978-990.