In her practice, Carol Howe has a special interest in promoting normal birth and in managing her patients' labor. Her research interest relates to decreasing cesarean birth rates. Carol has been involved in caring for pregnant women since she graduated from her basic nursing program. She loves having the opportunity to see babies that she has helped deliver weeks, months and years later. Although her time is now more devoted to administration, she enjoys the opportunity to provide clinical coverage when she can.
Carol grew up in Texas and did her midwifery education at Yale University and her doctoral education at UCSF. She moved to Portland with her husband so that he could pursue an internship at OHSU. Carol and her husband love spending time with their grown children and grandson. When she's not working, Carol also enjoys reading, camping and hiking.
PREGNANCY AND CHILDBIRTH PHILOSOPHY
"I believe that every woman comes to pregnancy in a different place. As a result, each patient's needs and desires for the experience are unique. It is my job to guide each woman through her unique pregnancy and birth experience."Read more
- American College of Nurse-Midwives, 1974.
Memberships and associations
- American College of Nurse-Midwives
- "The DNP and Entry Into Midwifery Practice : An Analysis." Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health In: , Vol. 52, No. 1, 01.2007, p. 14-22.
- "Breastfeeding knowledge and practice of pediatric nurse practitioners." Journal of Pediatric Health Care In: , Vol. 18, No. 1, 01.2004, p. 8-14.
- "A common misunderstanding about the relationship between the core competencies promulgated by the American College of Nurse-Midwives." Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health In: , Vol. 46, No. 2, 03.2001, p. 118-119.
- "Assessment of breastfeeding knowledge of nurse practitioners and nurse-midwives." Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health In: , Vol. 45, No. 3, 05.2000, p. 264-270.
- "Nurse-midwives and the peer review process." Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing In: , Vol. 7, No. 2, 1993, p. 50-56.
- "Developmental theory and adolescent sexual behavior." Nurse Practitioner In: , Vol. 11, No. 2, 1986, p. 65-71.
- "Nurses made the difference." MCN The American Journal of Maternal/Child Nursing In: , Vol. 10, No. 4, 07.1985, p. 225-228.
- "Physiologic and psychosocial assessment in labor." Nursing Clinics of North America In: , Vol. 17, No. 1, 03.1982, p. 49-56.
- "[No title available]." Journal of Nurse-Midwifery In: , Vol. 20, No. 2, 06.1975, p. 14.