Dr. Sheppard focuses on surgery for diseases of the pancreas. He has a special interest in caring for patients with pancreatic cancer. In addition, Dr. Sheppard does surgery for other diseases of the pancreas and adrenal gland, and for stomach and esophagus disorders. Whenever possible, Dr. Sheppard uses his skill and knowledge in minimally invasive surgery to help patients recover more quickly and with less discomfort after surgery. Dr. Sheppard is deeply committed to keeping patients safe and to enhancing the quality of surgical care. He belongs to groups working to improve the quality of surgical care both at OHSU and in the state of Oregon. Dr. Sheppard's research interests are focused on giving patients with pancreatic cancer better results from treatment by earlier diagnosis and improved therapy. He also studies how to improve the results of gastrointestinal (digestive system) surgery, including surgeries that involve the endocrine (hormone) system, and how to make the best use of minimally invasive surgery techniques. Dr. Sheppard is a member of the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute. He is also the surgical principal investigator for OHSU of the American College of Surgeons Oncology Group and a member of the Southwest Oncology Group, which offers patients the latest in cancer care through clinical trials. In addition, he belongs to national and international scientific societies dedicated to improving patient care in both traditional (open) and minimally invasive gastrointestinal surgery.
- M.D., University of Health Sciences, The Chicago Medical School, Chicago Illinois 1984
- Oregon Health & Science University, Portland 1984-1987, 1989-1991
- Surgical oncology-National Institutes of Health/National Cancer Institute, Bethesda 1987-1989
- American Board of Surgery, 1992, recertification, 2010
Memberships and associations
- Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology
- "ΔN-ASPP2, a novel isoform of the ASPP2 tumor suppressor, promotes cellular survival." Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications In: , Vol. 482, No. 4, 22.01.2017, p. 1271-1277.
- "Increasing tumor length is associated with regional lymph node metastases and decreased survival in esophageal cancer." American Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 211, No. 5, 01.05.2016, p. 860-866.
- "Treatment and Survival of Small-bowel Adenocarcinoma in the United States : A Comparison with Colon Cancer." Diseases of the Colon and Rectum In: , Vol. 59, No. 4, 01.04.2016, p. 306-315.
- "Bruton tyrosine kinase–Dependent immune cell cross-talk drives pancreas cancer." Cancer Discovery In: , Vol. 6, No. 3, 01.03.2016, p. 270-285.
- "Molecular Marker Expression Is Highly Heterogeneous in Esophageal Adenocarcinoma and Does Not Predict a Response to Neoadjuvant Therapy." Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery In: , Vol. 19, No. 12, 01.12.2015, p. 2105-2110.
- "Characteristics predicting clinical improvement and cure following laparoscopic adrenalectomy for primary aldosteronism in a large cohort." American Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 210, No. 4, 01.10.2015, p. 702-709.
- "Major bile duct injury requiring operative reconstruction after laparoscopic cholecystectomy : a follow-on study." Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques In: , 15.08.2015.
- "Lymph Node Harvest During Esophagectomy Is Not Influenced by Use of Neoadjuvant Therapy or Clinical Disease Stage." Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery In: , Vol. 19, No. 7, 25.04.2015, p. 1201-1207.
- "Significant understaging is seen in clinically staged T2N0 esophageal cancer patients undergoing esophagectomy." Diseases of the Esophagus In: , 2015.
- "Familial jejuno-ileal diverticulitis : A case report and review of the literature." International Journal of Surgery Case Reports In: , Vol. 5, No. 12, 01.11.2014, p. 1038-1040.
- "Suprarenal retroperitoneal liposarcoma with intracaval tumor thrombus : An imaging mimic of adrenocortical carcinoma." Clinical Imaging In: , Vol. 38, No. 1, 01.2014, p. 75-77.
- "The international normalized ratio overestimates coagulopathy in patients after major hepatectomy." American Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 207, No. 5, 2014, p. 723-727.
- "Targeting inhibitors of the tumor suppressor PP2A for the treatment of pancreatic cancer." Molecular Cancer Research In: , Vol. 12, No. 6, 2014, p. 924-939.
- "The adrenal psoas sign : Surgical outcomes following a simple technique to maximize removal of extracortical adrenal tissue during bilateral laparoscopic adrenalectomy." Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques In: , Vol. 28, No. 9, 2014, p. 2666-2670.
- "Safety and Outcomes Following Resection of Colorectal Liver Metastases in the Era of Current Perioperative Chemotherapy." Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery In: , Vol. 17, No. 12, 12.2013, p. 2133-2142.
- "Impact of comorbidity on outcomes and overall survival after open and minimally invasive esophagectomy for locally advanced esophageal cancer." Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques In: , Vol. 27, No. 11, 11.2013, p. 4094-4103.
- "Coagulopathy after a liver resection : Is it over diagnosed and over treated?" HPB In: , Vol. 15, No. 11, 11.2013, p. 865-871.
- "Putting the pieces together : Necrolytic migratory erythema and the glucagonoma syndrome." Journal of General Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 28, No. 11, 11.2013, p. 1525-1529.
- "Bile duct involvement portends poor prognosis in resected gallbladder carcinoma." Gastrointestinal Cancer Research In: , Vol. 6, No. 4, 07.2013, p. 101-105.
- "N terminus of ASPP2 binds to Ras and enhances Ras/Raf/MEK/ERK activation to promote oncogene-induced senescence." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America In: , Vol. 110, No. 1, 02.01.2013, p. 312-317.
- "Human pancreatic cancer fusion 2 (HPC2) 1-B3 : A novel monoclonal antibody to screen for pancreatic ductal dysplasia." Cancer cytopathology In: , Vol. 121, No. 1, 01.2013, p. 37-46.
- "The novel monoclonal antibody HPC2 and N-cadherin distinguish pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma from cholangiocarcinoma." Human Pathology In: , Vol. 43, No. 10, 10.2012, p. 1583-1589.
- "Symptomatic venous thromboembolism after femoral vein harvest." Journal of Vascular Surgery In: , Vol. 56, No. 3, 09.2012, p. 696-702.
- "Reply." Journal of the American College of Surgeons In: , Vol. 215, No. 1, 07.2012, p. 158-159.
- "Reconstruction of the jejunoesophageal anastomosis with a circular mechanical stapler in total laryngopharyngectomy defects." Head and Neck In: , Vol. 34, No. 5, 05.2012, p. 721-726.
- "Laparoscopic Paraesophageal Hernia Repair : Defining Long-Term Clinical and Anatomic Outcomes." Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery In: , Vol. 16, No. 3, 03.2012, p. 453-459.
- "Biologic prosthesis to prevent recurrence after laparoscopic paraesophageal hernia repair : Long-term follow-up from a multicenter, prospective, randomized trial." Journal of the American College of Surgeons In: , Vol. 213, No. 4, 10.2011, p. 461-468.
- "Erratum : Predicting malignant intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm: A single-center review (The American Journal of Surgery DOI: 10.1016/j.amjsurg. 2011.01.003)." American Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 201, No. 6, 06.2011, p. 846.
- "Bile duct injury after laparoscopic cholecystectomy in hospitals with and without surgical residency programs : Is there a difference?" Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques In: , Vol. 25, No. 6, 06.2011, p. 1969-1974.
- "Predicting malignant intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm : A single-center review." American Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 201, No. 5, 05.2011, p. 574-577.