Dr. Hayes-Lattin's patient care training and experience is in treating blood cancers and in stem cell transplants. However, as a young adult cancer survivor and a doctor who cares for many young adults with blood cancers, Dr. Hayes-Lattin has become a leader in developing the new discipline of adolescent and young adult (AYA) oncology. He is the first medical co-chair of the Lance Armstrong Foundation's LIVESTRONG Young Adult Alliance, a coalition of over 100 organizations that conduct research and serve young adults (aged 15-40) with cancer.
With the National Cancer Institute (NCI), the LIVESTRONG Young Adult Alliance established the Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology Progress Review Group, publishing recommendations and strategic plans for the advancement of AYA oncology. Dr. Hayes-Lattin also serves on the AYA Committee in the Children's Oncology Group and advises many patient advocacy groups on the medical needs of AYA cancer patients. At OHSU, Dr. Hayes-Lattin established a program in AYA oncology that combines services and expertise from many areas of medicine to treat patients and offer support. The OHSU AYA Oncology Program at the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute combines education, outreach and research to help young adults with cancer.Read more
- M.D., University of Washington, 0 0 1997
- Oregon Health & Science University, 2000
- Adult bone marrow transplant, Oregon Health & Science University, 2001
- American Board of Internal Medicine (internal medicine), 2000
Memberships and associations
- American Society of Hematology
- "Personality Traits and Health-Related Quality of Life among Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer Patients : The Role of Psychological Distress." Journal of Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology In: , Vol. 6, No. 2, 01.06.2017, p. 358-362.
- "Posttraumatic growth and well-being among adolescents and young adults (AYAs) with cancer : a longitudinal study." Supportive Care in Cancer In: , 19.04.2017, p. 1-10.
- "Health-related quality of life in adolescent and young adult patients with cancer : A longitudinal study." Journal of Clinical Oncology In: , Vol. 35, No. 6, 20.02.2017, p. 652-659.
- "Health-Related Quality of Life among Older Related Hematopoietic Stem Cell Donors (>60 Years) Is Equivalent to That of Younger Related Donors (18 to 60 Years) : A Related Donor Safety Study." Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation In: , Vol. 23, No. 1, 01.01.2017, p. 165-171.
- "Targeting BCL-2 and ABL/LYN in Philadelphia chromosome-positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia." Science Translational Medicine In: , Vol. 8, No. 354, 354ra114, 31.08.2016.
- "Next steps for adolescent and young adult oncology workshop : An update on progress and recommendations for the future." Cancer In: , Vol. 122, No. 7, 01.04.2016, p. 988-999.
- "Biologic and clinical characteristics of adolescent and young adult cancers : Acute lymphoblastic leukemia, colorectal cancer, breast cancer, melanoma, and sarcoma." Cancer In: , Vol. 122, No. 7, 01.04.2016, p. 1017-1028.
- "Functional and genetic screening of acute myeloid leukemia associated with mediastinal germ cell tumor identifies MEK inhibitor as an active clinical agent." Journal of Hematology and Oncology In: , Vol. 9, No. 1, 31, 2016.
- "Chronic GvHD-associated serositis and pericarditis." Bone Marrow Transplantation In: , Vol. 50, No. 8, 08.08.2015, p. 1098-1104.
- "Inclusion of Adolescents and Young Adults in Cancer Clinical Trials." Seminars in Oncology Nursing In: , Vol. 31, No. 3, 01.08.2015, p. 197-205.
- "If you did not document it, it did not happen : Rates of documentation of discussion of infertility risk in adolescent and young adult oncology patients' medical records." Journal of Oncology Practice In: , Vol. 11, No. 2, 01.03.2015, p. 137-144.
- "Identifying and addressing theneeds of adolescents and young adults with cancer : Summary of an institute of medicineworkshop." Oncologist In: , Vol. 20, No. 2, 07.01.2015, p. 186-195.
- "Nonmyeloablative allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplant for the treatment of patients with hematologic malignancies using busulfan, fludarabine, and total body irradiation conditioning is effective in an elderly and infirm population." Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation In: , Vol. 21, No. 1, 01.01.2015, p. 89-96.
- "The relationship between posttraumatic stress and posttraumatic growth among adolescent and young adult (AYA) cancer patients." Psycho-Oncology In: , Vol. 24, No. 2, 2015, p. 162-168.
- "Psychological distress and unsatisfied need for psychosocial support in adolescent and young adult cancer patients during the first year following diagnosis." Psycho-Oncology In: , Vol. 23, No. 11, 01.11.2014, p. 1267-1275.
- "Improving enrollment in clinical trials for adolescents with cancer." Pediatrics In: , Vol. 133, No. SUPPL. 3, 01.06.2014.
- "Improved outcome with busulfan, melphalan and thiotepa conditioning in autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplant for relapsed/refractory Hodgkin lymphoma." Leukemia and Lymphoma In: , Vol. 55, No. 3, 03.2014, p. 583-587.
- "Active surveillance is the preferred approach to clinical stage i testicular cancer." Journal of Clinical Oncology In: , Vol. 31, No. 28, 01.10.2013, p. 3490-3493.
- "Autologous haematopoietic cell transplantation for non-Hodgkin lymphoma with secondary CNS involvement." British Journal of Haematology In: , Vol. 162, No. 5, 09.2013, p. 648-656.
- "Prevalence and predictors of post-traumatic stress symptoms in adolescent and young adult cancer survivors : A 1-year follow-up study." Psycho-Oncology In: , Vol. 22, No. 8, 08.2013, p. 1798-1806.
- "Physician perceptions and practice patterns regarding fertility preservation in hematopoietic cell transplant recipients." Bone Marrow Transplantation In: , Vol. 48, No. 8, 08.2013, p. 1091-1097.
- "Trajectories of psychological distress in adolescent and young adult patients with cancer : a 1-year longitudinal study." Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology In: , Vol. 31, No. 17, 10.06.2013, p. 2160-2166.
- "Psychosocial service use and unmet need among recently diagnosed adolescent and young adult cancer patients." Cancer In: , Vol. 119, No. 1, 01.01.2013, p. 201-214.
- "Late Effects in Hematopoietic Cell Transplant Recipients with Acquired Severe Aplastic Anemia : A Report from the Late Effects Working Committee of the Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research." Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation In: , Vol. 18, No. 12, 12.2012, p. 1776-1784.
- "Outcomes of Allogeneic Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation for Adolescent and Young Adults Compared with Children and Older Adults with Acute Myeloid Leukemia." Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation In: , Vol. 18, No. 6, 06.2012, p. 861-873.
- "Critical issues in transition and survivorship for adolescents and young adults with cancers." Cancer In: , Vol. 117, No. SUPPL. 10, 15.05.2011, p. 2335-2341.
- "Unique characteristics of adolescent and young adult acute lymphoblastic leukemia, breast cancer, and colon cancer." Journal of the National Cancer Institute In: , Vol. 103, No. 8, 20.04.2011, p. 628-635.
- "Pregnancy after Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation : A Report from the Late Effects Working Committee of the Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research (CIBMTR)." Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation In: , Vol. 17, No. 2, 02.2011, p. 157-166.
- "Survivorship." Blood and Marrow Transplant Handbook: Comprehensive Guide for Patient Care. Springer New York, 2011. p. 281-295.
- "Evolution in management of testicular seminoma : Population-based outcomes with selective utilization of active therapies." Annals of Oncology In: , Vol. 22, No. 4, 2011, p. 808-814.