Dr. Caughey is the chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and associate dean for Women’s Health Research and Policy, OHSU School of Medicine. He is nationally recognized as a dedicated clinician, accomplished educator and prolific researcher.
In his clinical practice, Dr. Caughey has a special interest in diabetes in pregnancy. His research interests over the past decade have focused on utilizing a broad array of methodologies including standard biostatistical techniques as well as decision and cost-effectiveness analysis to address questions in obstetrics and maternal-fetal medicine regarding post-term pregnancy, preeclampsia, and diabetes in pregnancy, obesity and weight gain, as well as prenatal diagnosis.
Dr. Caughey grew up in South King County in Washington, and trained in Boston and San Francisco. He recently returned to the Pacific Northwest and to OHSU, in particular, because of the opportunity to lead a talented department and to impact women’s health across Oregon. When he is not working, Dr. Caughey is usually playing with his children or spending time at the theater or concert hall (watching or performing).
- M.D., Harvard Medical School, Cambridge Massachusetts 1995
- B.S., University of Washington, Seattle Washington 1989
- M.P.H., University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley California 2001
- Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley California 2006
- Brigham and Women's Hospital, 1999
- Fellowship in obstetric ultrasound, UCSF, 2000
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2004
Memberships and associations
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- "The growth-restricted fetus : risk of mortality by each additional week of expectant management." Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine In: , 03.10.2017, p. 1-6.
- "Optimal timing of delivery for women with breast cancer, according to cancer stage and hormone status : a decision-analytic model." Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine In: , 28.09.2017, p. 1-10.
- "The risk of perinatal mortality with each week of expectant management in obese pregnancies." Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine In: , 28.09.2017, p. 1-8.
- "Should delivery timing for repeat cesarean be reconsidered based on dating criteria?" Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine In: , 12.09.2017, p. 1-5.
- "The Hard Work of Improving Outcomes for Mothers and Babies : Obstetric and Perinatal Quality Improvement Initiatives Make a Difference at the Hospital, State, and National Levels." Clinics in Perinatology In: , Vol. 44, No. 3, 01.09.2017, p. 511-528.
- "Early probiotic supplementation for eczema and asthma prevention : A randomized controlled trial." Pediatrics In: , Vol. 140, No. 3, e20163000, 01.09.2017.
- "Standardizing the Response to Category II Tracings during Induction with Oxytocin : A Cost-Effectiveness Analysis." American Journal of Perinatology In: , 16.08.2017.
- "Short interpregnancy interval increases the risk of preterm premature rupture of membranes and early delivery." Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine In: , 10.08.2017, p. 1-7.
- "Relationship between Labor and Delivery Unit Management Practices and Maternal Outcomes." Obstetrics and Gynecology In: , Vol. 130, No. 2, 01.08.2017, p. 358-365.
- "Apgar Scores : Two Methodologic Studies Exploring Their Use in Research." Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology In: , Vol. 31, No. 4, 01.07.2017, p. 346-347.
- "Passive descent in the second stage : evaluation of variation in practice patterns." Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine In: , 28.06.2017, p. 1-5.
- "Gestational weight gain and outcomes for mothers and infants." JAMA - Journal of the American Medical Association In: , Vol. 317, No. 21, 06.06.2017, p. 2175-2176.
- "Trisomy 13 and the risk of gestational hypertensive disorders : a population-based study." Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine In: , 02.06.2017, p. 1-5.
- "Cervical length screening : will we truly reap economic benefits with a universal screening approach?" BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology In: , Vol. 124, No. 7, 01.06.2017, p. 1047.
- "Television during Meals in the First 4 Years of Life." Clinical Pediatrics In: , Vol. 56, No. 7, 01.06.2017, p. 659-666.
- "Cost-effectiveness of opportunistic salpingectomy for ovarian cancer prevention." Gynecologic Oncology In: , 05.05.2017.
- "The utility of an obesity-specific small for gestational age standard for pregnancies complicated by maternal obesity ." Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine In: , 04.05.2017, p. 1-5.
- "Trisomy 18 Pregnancies : Is there an Increased Maternal Risk?" American Journal of Perinatology In: , 28.04.2017.
- "The importance of economic analyses in health care : examining the economics of preterm prelabour rupture of membranes care." BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology In: , Vol. 124, No. 4, 01.03.2017, p. 551-552.
- "Type-2 diabetes mellitus : does prenatal care affect outcomes?" Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine In: , 15.02.2017, p. 1-5.
- "A 'busy day' effect on perinatal complications of delivery on weekends : A retrospective cohort study." BMJ Quality and Safety In: , Vol. 26, No. 1, e1, 01.01.2017.
- "Primary cesarean delivery patterns amongwomen with physical, sensory, or intellectual disabilities." Women's Health Issues In: , 2017.
- "In reply." Obstetrics and Gynecology In: , Vol. 129, No. 4, 2017, p. 754.
- "Association between gestational weight gain and perinatal outcomes in women with chronic hypertension." American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology In: , 2017.
- "Age-based differences in the predictive accuracy of a one-size-fits-all risk-cutoff value in prenatal integrated screening for Down syndrome." Prenatal Diagnosis In: , 2017.
- "The association between gestational weight gain and risk of stillbirth : A population-based cohort study." Annals of Epidemiology In: , 2017.
- "Live birth, miscarriage, and abortion among U.S. women with and without disabilities." Disability and Health Journal In: , 06.12.2016.
- "Time trends in births and cesarean deliveries among women with disabilities." Disability and Health Journal In: , 05.12.2016.
- "Cesarean delivery complications in women with morbid obesity." Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine In: , Vol. 29, No. 23, 01.12.2016, p. 3885-3888.
- "Oregon's Hard-Stop Policy Limiting Elective Early-Term Deliveries : Association with Obstetric Procedure Use and Health Outcomes." Obstetrics and Gynecology In: , Vol. 128, No. 6, 01.12.2016, p. 1389-1396.