The OHSU Renal Biopsy Service
Handling the unfixed specimen:
- Use of forceps (a toothpick or needle is recommended)
- Excessive manipulation
- Drying of the tissue. The tissue should be kept damp in a saline-soaked sponge or filter paper as necessary at the time of the biopsy.
- Water (this will cause osmotic injury)
- Transporting the unfixed specimen:
- If the specimen is to be transported fresh to your hospital laboratory, it should be placed in a transport medium such as tissue culture medium. It should not be placed into water.