The Department of Pathology at Oregon Health & Science University was established in 1912 by the faculty of the (then) Medical Department of the University of Oregon in Portland. Currently, the department has 31 faculty members in the divisions of Anatomic Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, including those who have positions at the Portland VA Hospital, the Vollum Institute for Advanced Biomedical Research and the Oregon Regional Primate Center. The Department includes faculty members of other OHSU institutions and departments, such as Dermatology, Medicine, Oral Pathology, and the staff of the Oregon Medical Examiner's Office, the Kaiser Permanente Regional Laboratory, and other community institutions.
Departmental laboratories and offices are primarily housed in three locations on the OHSU campus. Dillehunt Hall, which adjoins the principal clinical facilities of the campus, contains most of the anatomic pathology and clinical laboratories and offices. The Basic Science Building houses most of the department's research laboratories as well as the administrative office for Pathology. This building is part of the research quadrant of the School of Medicine. The Physicians Pavilion accommodates the Phlebotomy lab.