MARC PILOT PROJECTS 2013-14
Applications due April 1, 2013, 5 p.m.
Each year the MARC provides funding for approximately three one-to-two year projects intended to bring new research directions, approaches, and investigators into the center. Approximately $30,000 per project is available for our upcoming year, which runs July 1, 2013 to June 30, 2014..
Proposals will be evaluated each year on their scientific merit and innovation and on their alignment with the MARC’s research themes, which include:
- Neuroadaptation to methamphetamine
- Neurocircuitry of methamphetamine response
- Impulsivity as a predictor of methamphetamine abuse or as a characteristic that may be altered by methamphetamine
- Neuroimmune response (drug-induced or endogenous differences in neuroimmune function that affect the response to MA)
- Translation between preclinical and clinical models of methamphetamine effects/abuse.
Projects are also intended to generate preliminary data for future R-type grant
applications. For examples of previous MARC pilot projects, please see
Component 6. Pilots funded for an initial year are eligible for consideration for a second year of funding; however, investigators must reapply through the competitive review process.
Who is eligible:
All OHSU and VA faculty interested in methamphetamine research may submit
proposals. Postdoctoral trainees are not eligible.
Proposals should include:
- The following forms from the NIH's PHS-398 forms page:
- Face page (official signatures other than yours NOT required)
- Abstract page (Form Page 2)
- Budget pages (Form page 4 and also Form page 5, if 2 years of support are requested), with written justification for budget requests.
- Biographical sketch form (including other support)
Research proposal including specific aims, background, preliminary data, methods and procedures, and references (five-page limit excluding references; 6-page limit for investigators requesting a second year of funding, with the additional page devoted to the progress report)
Relationship of pilot project to center goals
Explanation of need for conducting pilot project at this time (e.g., scientific, fiscal or other reasons).
Maximum budget requests should be in the $30K range.
Proposals will be reviewed by at least two members of our external scientific
advisory board or other external experts in the area of the proposal. Based on these reviews and their own reviews, MARC Director
Aaron Janowsky and Scientific Director Tamara Phillips will make recommendations to
the MARC Executive Committee for funding with a starting date of July 1, 2013.
For further information:
Please contact the MARC Scientific Director, Tamara Phillips, at email@example.com or