In 1887, the University of Oregon granted a charter to establish a
medical school in Portland. The school was first located in a wood frame
building in the heart of Northwest Portland. A vision of a new and modern
medical facility, away from the noise and pollution of the city, began
first in the heart and mind of the second dean of the University, Kenneth
A. J. Mackenzie.
Dean Mackenzie, also surgeon of the Oregon Washington
Railway, convinced the company to sell a tract of unlikely property to
the school. Even though the property, perched high on a tree-studded hill
overlooking the city of Portland, first appeared to have little to offer
as a campus setting, Mackenzie remarked, "... this tract would make an
ideal University and Hospital center." Accessible only by a steep winding
road and far from Good Samaritan and St. Vincent Hospitals, Mackenzie's
vision was called by many, Mackenzies' folly. But Dean Mackenzie's dream
has been realized. The campus is still accessed by narrow winding roads
but there now stands a modern health and science university to carry on
the teaching, healing and research that Dr. Mackenzie had envisioned.
What has grown out of a small rural community of land claims could hardly
have been imagined in the early beginnings of "Marquam Hill".
of Medicine exhibit consists of photographs from the Historical Image
Collection of the OHSU Historical Collections and Archives.
Medical Science Building