The purpose of the 2006 Library journal survey was to seek recommendations for
new library journals subscriptions. The survey was available from February 27 to March 17, 2006.
About 5% of OHSU faculty, students and staff responded (720/14,310).
There were 237 recommendations for additional titles to the collection. Approximately 50% of the titles
recommended were current OHSU Library subscriptions. There were 117 new titles recommended.
Faculty, staff and students recommended from the survey or other sources resulted in
168 journal subscriptions requests that would cost over $250,000. Sixty-five (65)
requested titles were added in 2007 with a list price of $88,000. The Library was able to purchase
access to many of
the requested title at discounted prices by participating in the Orbis Cascade Alliance consortial electronic journal agreements.
Back to the top
Journal Selection Priorities
The selection priorities and achievements for 2007 were:
- The OHSU Library joined several other Orbis Cascade Alliance Library members in three consortial agreements
- Wiley InterScience - Access to 244 additional titles including Biopolymers,
Genesis: Journal of Genetics and Development, International Journal of Eating Disorders, and
Microscopy Research and Technique.
- Sage Publications (Sage Premier Online) - Access to 442 additional titles
in the areas of communication, psychology, social sciences, criminology, political science, management,
urban studies, sociology and education. Some titles of interest are: Journal of Interpersonal Violence,
Journal of Pediatric Oncology Nursing, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuroscientist, and
Statistical Methods in Medical Research.
- Cambridge University Press - Access to 217 additional titles including
British Journal of Anaesthetic and Recovery Nursing, Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society
and Public Health Nutrition.
- In 2007, the OHSU Library will continue its BioMed Central supporting membership.
OHSU authors will receive a 15% discount on article-processing charges.
Go to BioMed Central author information web page
for information on how to get published in these Open Access online journals.
In addition, four popular BioMed Central titles that are currently partially open access will be
added to the collection. In 2007, all articles to these BMC titles will be available immediately to OHSU Authorized Users:
Arthritis Research and Therapy, Breast Cancer Research, Critical Care and Genome Biology.
- Two additional collections were purchased this year:
- Adis International on the Ovid platform - 21 pharmacy related titles; 15 titles new to OHSU Library
- Psychiatry Online and Psyciatry Legacy Collection - 6 journals and 4 books from the American
Psychiatric Publishing. The Legacy archives includes all journals back to volume 1.
- Became a Founding Member of Portico - an electronic archive. Information on this important new initiative
to preserve electronic journal access can be found at http://www.portico.org/
- Cancelled the print format and subscribed online only for 76 journals from:
- Adis International
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- American Psychiatric Publishing
- Cambridge University Press
- Duke University Press
- Mary Ann Liebert
- Sage Publications
- Cancelled low use titles based on journal survey results and electronic usage (64 titles).
- Cancelled duplicate titles among the OHSU libraries (12 titles).
Back to the top
Journal Selection Criteria
A serials decision database was created to monitor OHSU usage of titles from
various sources. Every year, the data is used to identify low, medium and high use journals.
Low use journals
are reviewed for possible cancellation. High use titles that are not current subscriptions are considered
for addition to the collection.