My Doernbecher Story

Tessa's Story - Doernbecher Children's Hospital

Tessa's Story

When I was 26 weeks pregnant with my twin daughters I went into labor. Luckily the doctors were able to stop my labor. Bed rest was here. Being only 4'9" and 100 pounds every day my girls stayed in was another victory. I made it to 30 weeks 5 days when my girls arrived. I had a total of 3 steroid shots and was on magnesium 3 different times. I was terrified. I knew the risks when we found out I was going to have twins, and we knew that the chances of the girls being in the Nicu were high. We researched hospitals with different neonatal units to prepare for the girls arrival, and OHSU was the best. December 13th 2013 Daisy Mae and Lily Ann made their appearance. Daisy (baby A) was head down and ready to come but Lily (baby B) was breech. I was 8 cm dilated. There was no stopping labor this time. I had a C-Section due to Lily being breech, and not wanting to risk anything. Daisy was 3 pounds 6 ounces and Lily was 2 pounds 10 ounces. December 24th I got to hold both girls together for the first time. It was amazing. Those stories you hear about the bond between twins they are true. My girls heart rates synced together their breathing was perfect. They were so calm and gently wrapped their fragile little arms around each other while I held them. Our nicu journey was here. Being in the nicu was definitely a roller coaster of emotions. Lily was in the Nicu for 6 weeks while Daisy was in for 13 weeks. My heart was torn. People kept leaving with their babies, and I was still there. Daisy was sick not knowing what was going on was terrifying. The doctors were pretty sure she got NEC twice. She had 2 upper GI studies and 2 lower GI studies; she also had what seemed like a million X-rays, along with a spinal tap. Most of her stay she was on IV nutrition. She also had a few blood transfusions. During everything that was going on I couldn't have asked for a better care team. The doctors were amazing and on top of everything. The girl's main nurse was a true blessing. March of Dimes was there when I needed support, or just to talk about what was going on. I remember when I had gone to every March of Dimes group session and the sessions started over from the beginning. Most people don't even make it through an entire round, and to know I was on my second round it was time to go home. Daisy wasn't gaining the weight she needed to make it home, but I was ready to be done. Knowing if she didn't gain weight she would be readmitted. We had to go up every few days for weight checks, but we were finally home! Daisy my little reflux baby. I'm not exaggerating when I say everything comes up. She had a rough start and still to this day she is just a little puker. I have two happy healthy girls, and for that I am blessed. I am so thankful for everyone at the DNCC for their wonderful care and support. Going to back and visiting brings back so many emotions, but I am so grateful for everything the staff did for me. Doctors, nurses, March of Dimes, and lets not forget the lactation team. The girls are almost 10 months old and let me tell you they are into EVERYTHING! To this day I continue to pump (exclusively). I plan on pumping until Feb 16th the day they should be 1. I couldn't have done it without the lactation team! I thank everyone from my care team to all the DNCC staff for taking such good care of my little girls! My family is truly blessed.

Back to stories