|Chlorpheniramine Dose Table|
|Child's weight (pounds)||22-32||33-43||44-54||55-65||66-76||77-87||88+||lbs.|
|Liquid 2 mg/1 teaspoon (tsp)||½||¾||1||1||1½||1½||2||tsp|
|Liquid 2 mg/5 milliliters (ml)||2.5||4||5||5||7.5||7.5||10||ml|
|Tablets 4 mg.||--||--||½||½||½||1||1||tablets|
When to Use. For allergic reactions, nasal allergies, hives and itching.
- AGE LIMIT. For allergies, don't use under 1 year of age. (Reason: it causes most babies to be sleepy). For colds, not advised at any age. (Reason: no proven benefits). They should be not be given if under 4 years old. If under 6 years, don't give products with more than one ingredient in them. (Reason: FDA recommendations 10/2008).
- DOSE. Find the child's weight in the top row of the dose table. Look below the correct weight for the dose based on the product you have.
- MEASURE the DOSE. Syringes and droppers are more accurate than teaspoons. If possible, use the syringe or dropper that comes with the medicine. If not, you can get a med syringe at drug stores. If you use a teaspoon, it should be a measuring spoon. (Reason: regular spoons are not reliable.) Keep in mind 1 level teaspoon equals 5 ml and that ½ teaspoon equals 2.5 ml.
- ADULT DOSE. 4 mg. Repeat every 6-8 hours as needed.
- 6-12 years LONG-ACTING (L.A.) DOSE. 8 mg long-acting (LA) tablet every 12 hours as needed.
- 12 years and older LONG-ACTING (L.A.) DOSE. 12 mg long-acting (LA) tablet every 12 hours as needed.
- Brompheniramine dosing is the same as chlorpheniramine dosing.
Author and Senior Reviewer: Barton D. Schmitt, M.D.
Content Set: Child Symptom Checker
Child Symptom Checker