Emergency Medicine News & Feature Archive
- A study by EM Drs. Craig Newgard, John Ma, and Ritu Sahni finds that patient choice steers some traumas away from the hospitals best-equipped to handle them.
- OHSU EM and UC Davis collaborative study finds gunshot injuries in children are disproportionately more severe, deadly and costly than any other source of childhood injury.
- Tox faculty and fellows are in Atlanta, GA for the 2013 Annual Meeting of the North American Congress of Clinical Toxicology.
- New study by Drs. Newgard & McConnell examines the surprising cost and prevalence of unnecessary trauma care.
- EM Sedators helped a great cause and took second place in their division at Friends of Doernbecher Softball Tournament.
- The 2013 graduating EM residency class selected several award recipients to honor at their graduation ceremony on June 28th.
- In The News - Dr. David Spiro weighs in on Mt. Hood wilderness survival for KATU News: preparation means prevention.
- The EM Faculty Schedule of events for the 2013 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine Annual Meeting in Atlanta, GA.
- Dr. Yarris receives the CORD Academy for Scholarship in Education Emergency Medicine's 2013 Distinguished Educator Award in the category of Education Research.
- Dr. DeIorio receives the CORD Academy for Scholarship in Education Emergency Medicine's 2013 Distinguished Educator Award in the category of Education Leadership.
- Lainie Yarris, MD, MCR, answers the question "Why do you teach?" in a brief Q&A session with the School of Medicine.
- New study led by John McConnell, Ph.D., reveals Toyota's "Lean" methodologies may be beneficial in helping hospitals achieve "high-quality health care outcomes."
- Welcome the Emergency Medicine Residency Class of 2016.
- In The News - Incoming Peds EM Fellow, David Sheridan, MD, makes big news with his Propofol study as seen in AAP News.
- Nicole DeIorio, MD is winner of AAMC's 3rd National Career Development Month Contest.
Incoming Pediatric EM Fellow, David Sheridan, MD leads national study
on pediatric migraine treatment in the ER.
- Ben Sun, MD awarded a 5-year, $3.8M NIH grant for multisite observational study.
- Dr. David Spiro discusses guidelines for "wait and see" prescriptions to reduce unnecessary antibiotics for middle ear infections in children.
- Ten EM faculty featured in Portland Monthly magazine's Top Docs of 2013.
- In The News - EM Drs. Terri Schmidt and Jon Jui featured on local news after spending weeks on the east coast aiding victims of Superstorm Sandy.
- In The News - Ben Sun, MD is the lead author of a new study on emergency room crowding that is garnering national headlines.
- In The News - David Spiro, MD, MPH explains the importance of emergency consent forms when visiting the Doernbecher Emergency Room.
- Patrick Brunett, M.D., FACEP, Appointed Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education.
- Research Outcomes Consortium (ROC) Investigators Receive Award at the 2012 Resuscitation Science Symposium.
- John McConnell, Ph.D, discusses the status of health care reform in Oregon and recent support received from NIH and the Silver Foundation.
- Lainie Yarris, MD Receives "Faculty Excellence in Education" Award for her outstanding contributions to medical and graduate education.
- In The News - Dr. Zane Horowitz appeared on local TV news to warn of the dangers associated with common laundry detergent packets.
- Health Share of Oregon
- ACEP 2012 Scientific Assembly - Schedule of Department Related Events.
- Department presence at the 2012 Meeting of the North American Congress of Clinical Toxicology.
- Dr. Moorhead assumed office as the president of the American Board of Emergency Medicine.
- In The News - OHSU Emergency's Dr. Shana Kusin addresses the respiratory dangers of 'The Cinnamon Challenge' on local TV news.
- In The News - High-Tech Ambulance Simulator Debuts in Oregon
- Dr. Sun honored by the Emergency Medicine Foundation
- Introducing the Emergency Medicine Residency Class of 2015
- In The News - Lifelike manikins help simulate true-to-life EMT training in Washington County
- In The News - High Fidelity Mobile Training Vehicle to be Unveiled on March 5
- In The News - The Oregon Poison Center, Oregon Public Health Division, DEA, and FDA teamed up to investigate the ingestion of an unknown liquid purchased on the internet.
- In The News - Drs. Craig Newgard and Ritu Sahni were part of a national panel of experts convened by the CDC to review the guidelines for field triage.
- In The News - Dr. Horowitz gave insight on keeping children safe from household poisons on FM News 101 KXL's radio show "The OHSU Effect: Inside Health & Science".
- Dr. Meckler Inducted Into The Gold Humanism Honor Society
- Dr. John McConnell to lead new Center for Health Systems Effectiveness
- New Multidisciplinary Training Program for Emergency Medicine Clinical Research (K12)
- In The News - Dr. McConnell spoke with OPB about Oregon's mental health parity law.
- Dr. Moorhead elected to the office of President-Elect of the American Board of Emergency Medicine
- Dr. Ellingson receives the 2011 David W.E. Baird Award for Teaching Excellence
- Dr. Watase speaks at NYC Conference
- Meet the Class of 2014
- 'Bath Salts' - A Dangerous New Drug
- David Spiro, M.D., M.P.H. on NPR
- Ritu Sahni honored by OCEP
- 40,000 Oregonians enroll in Oregon POLST Registry by its one year anniversary
- EM Department Staff Serving the Community
- OHSU Hospital Selected To Take Part In Newly-Announced Nationwide Quality Improvement Initiative
- ER Visits for Synthetic Marijuana on the Rise
- Dr. David Spiro, Chief, Pediatric Emergency Services, demonstrates some vital steps to know when handling a summer emergency with your child.
- In The News - ER visits from prescription meds now equal to visits from illegal drugs
- 20,000 Oregonians enroll in Oregon POLST Registry
- OHSU Emergency Department Reports Fewer Meth-Related Visits Following 2006 'Anti-Meth' Legislation
News ArchivesSpotlight Features | Featured Research Papers