Emergency Medicine News
News & Features Archive
- POLST study confirms high frequency of accurate matches to patient's treatment wishes.
- Congratulations to Drs. Patrick Brunett, Nicole Deiorio and Craig Newgard on their EM promotions
- David Jones, MD, selected as a recipient of the first annual GME Educational Leadership Award
- In The News - 77 Oregonians head to the emergency room due to dental related problems every day. Dr. Sun's study covered by PRWeb.
- In The News - KATU News interviews Dr. Ben Sun at length about his research into ED crowding and wait times.
- In The News - Dr. Spiro on Koin News about the dangers of codeine prescriptions for children.
- Dr. Evelyn Kim Advances to the Clinical Pathologic Case (CPC) Finals
- Introducting the Emergency Medicine Residency Class of 2017.
- Dr. Brunett secures the 2014 CORD Award for Distinguished Educator in the category of Educational Leadership.
- OHSU Emergency Medicine research climbs to #4 in NIH funding with 5 researchers in top 50 per 2013 Blue Ridge Rankings report.
- Nine EM faculty members were featured in Portland Monthly magazine's Top Docs of 2014.
- OHSU publicizes its adult, pediatric emergency room wait times online
- A study by EM Drs. Craig Newgard, John Ma, and Ritu Sahni finds that patient choice steers some traumas away from the hospitals best-equipped to handle them.
- OHSU EM and UC Davis collaborative study finds gunshot injuries in children are disproportionately more severe, deadly and costly than any other source of childhood injury.
- Tox faculty and fellows are in Atlanta, GA for the 2013 Annual Meeting of the North American Congress of Clinical Toxicology.
- New study by Drs. Newgard & McConnell examines the surprising cost and prevalence of unnecessary trauma care.
- EM Sedators helped a great cause and took second place in their division at Friends of Doernbecher Softball Tournament.
- The 2013 graduating EM residency class selected several award recipients to honor at their graduation ceremony on June 28th.
- In The News - Dr. David Spiro weighs in on Mt. Hood wilderness survival for KATU News: preparation means prevention.
- The EM Faculty Schedule of events for the 2013 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine Annual Meeting in Atlanta, GA.
- Dr. Yarris receives the CORD Academy for Scholarship in Education Emergency Medicine's 2013 Distinguished Educator Award in the category of Education Research.
- Dr. Deiorio receives the CORD Academy for Scholarship in Education Emergency Medicine's 2013 Distinguished Educator Award in the category of Education Leadership.
- Lainie Yarris, MD, MCR, answers the question "Why do you teach?" in a brief Q&A session with the School of Medicine.
- New study led by John McConnell, Ph.D., reveals Toyota's "Lean" methodologies may be beneficial in helping hospitals achieve "high-quality health care outcomes."
- Welcome the Emergency Medicine Residency Class of 2016.
- In The News - Incoming Peds EM Fellow, David Sheridan, MD, makes big news with his Propofol study as seen in AAP News.
- Nicole Deiorio, MD is winner of AAMC's 3rd National Career Development Month Contest.
Incoming Pediatric EM Fellow, David Sheridan, MD leads national study
on pediatric migraine treatment in the ER.
- Ben Sun, MD awarded a 5-year, $3.8M NIH grant for multisite observational study.
- Dr. David Spiro discusses guidelines for "wait and see" prescriptions to reduce unnecessary antibiotics for middle ear infections in children.
- Ten EM faculty featured in Portland Monthly magazine's Top Docs of 2013.
- In The News - EM Drs. Terri Schmidt and Jon Jui featured on local news after spending weeks on the east coast aiding victims of Superstorm Sandy.
- In The News - Ben Sun, MD is the lead author of a new study on emergency room crowding that is garnering national headlines.
- Patrick Brunett, M.D., FACEP, Appointed Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education.
- Research Outcomes Consortium (ROC) Investigators Receive Award at the 2012 Resuscitation Science Symposium.
- John McConnell, Ph.D, discusses the status of health care reform in Oregon and recent support received from NIH and the Silver Foundation.
- Lainie Yarris, MD Receives "Faculty Excellence in Education" Award for her outstanding contributions to medical and graduate education.
- In The News - Dr. Zane Horowitz appeared on local TV news to warn of the dangers associated with common laundry detergent packets.
- Health Share of Oregon
- ACEP 2012 Scientific Assembly - Schedule of Department Related Events.
- Department presence at the 2012 Meeting of the North American Congress of Clinical Toxicology.
- Dr. Moorhead assumed office as the president of the American Board of Emergency Medicine.
- In The News - OHSU Emergency's Dr. Shana Kusin addresses the respiratory dangers of 'The Cinnamon Challenge' on local TV news.
- In The News - High-Tech Ambulance Simulator Debuts in Oregon
- Dr. Sun honored by the Emergency Medicine Foundation
- Introducing the Emergency Medicine Residency Class of 2015
- In The News - Lifelike manikins help simulate true-to-life EMT training in Washington County
- In The News - High Fidelity Mobile Training Vehicle to be Unveiled on March 5
- In The News - The Oregon Poison Center, Oregon Public Health Division, DEA, and FDA teamed up to investigate the ingestion of an unknown liquid purchased on the internet.
- In The News - Drs. Craig Newgard and Ritu Sahni were part of a national panel of experts convened by the CDC to review the guidelines for field triage.
- Dr. Meckler Inducted Into The Gold Humanism Honor Society
- Dr. John McConnell to lead new Center for Health Systems Effectiveness
- New Multidisciplinary Training Program for Emergency Medicine Clinical Research (K12)
- In The News - Dr. McConnell spoke with OPB about Oregon's mental health parity law.
- Dr. Moorhead elected to the office of President-Elect of the American Board of Emergency Medicine
- Dr. Ellingson receives the 2011 David W.E. Baird Award for Teaching Excellence
- Dr. Watase speaks at NYC Conference
- Meet the Class of 2014
- 'Bath Salts' - A Dangerous New Drug
- David Spiro, M.D., M.P.H. on NPR
- Ritu Sahni honored by OCEP
- 40,000 Oregonians enroll in Oregon POLST Registry by its one year anniversary
- EM Department Staff Serving the Community
- OHSU Hospital Selected To Take Part In Newly-Announced Nationwide Quality Improvement Initiative
- ER Visits for Synthetic Marijuana on the Rise
- Dr. David Spiro, Chief, Pediatric Emergency Services, demonstrates some vital steps to know when handling a summer emergency with your child.
- In The News - ER visits from prescription meds now equal to visits from illegal drugs
- 20,000 Oregonians enroll in Oregon POLST Registry
- OHSU Emergency Department Reports Fewer Meth-Related Visits Following 2006 'Anti-Meth' Legislation
News Archive | Spotlight Archive