EM resident, Shannon Lee, looks back on her time spent at Columbia Memorial Hospital as the first OHSU resident to experience the new emergency medicine rural rotation in Astoria.
The wait is over, Match Day is finally here! Please join us in welcoming the much anticipated Emergency Medicine Residency Class of 2019.
John McConnell, Ph.D., featured in the Journal of the American Medical Association for his evaluation of Oregon's Medicaid Coordinated Care Organizations.
In The News - Gillian Beauchamp, M.D., informs Portland Mercury readers about the concerns associated with arsenic and cadmium exposure and how to request testing.
In The News - Rob Hendrickson, M.D., provides his professional input on the larger debate surrounding the potency of marijuana-infused edibles.
In The News - Has the Affordable Care Act made health care more affordable in Oregon? John McConnell, Ph.D., and Paul Gorman, M.D., held informal forum at Kell's to discuss.
- Bangkok Hospital representatives visit the OHSU Emergency Department to expand the collaborative efforts of OHSU Global.
- John C. Moorhead, M.D., steps into his new role as the Chair of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) Board of Directors.
- Congratulations to John McConnell, Ph.D., for promotion and tenure as Professor and affirmation of rank of Associate Professor for Esther Choo, M.D., M.P.H.
- The graduating Emergency Medicine residency class honors the best of best with their annual Residency Education Awards.
- The Blue Ridge Institute for Medical Research has finalized their 2015 rankings of NIH funding awards for U.S. medical schools. OHSU EM research ranked third in the nation.
- Congratulations to graduating seniors, Andy Lichtenheld and Mari Nomura, for their prestigious awards in Emergency Medicine.
- In The News - Dr. Zane Horowitz explains the toxicological impact of recent PPS, lead, and radon findings in the Portland metro area.
- Drs. James Heilman and Mary Tanski recognized for their outstanding contributions to clinical care.
- David Jones, M.D., receives Faculty Mentor Award for demonstrating outstanding skill and dedication to advising and mentoring medical students.
- Dr. David Jones' survey cited by AEM Editor in Chief to illustrate the need for new AEM journal with a focus on education and training.
- In The News - John McConnel, Ph.D., weighs in on a new breed of health insurer on Time.com
- In The News - The Oregon Poison Center sounds the alarm after new designer street drug hits the Portland area.
- Dr. Bory Kea dishes the inside scoop on staying healthy while surviving and thriving in emergency medicine for ALiEM.
- OHSU EM faculty schedule of events at the 2016 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM) Annual Meeting
- Beech Burns, M.D., M.C.R., was featured on Academic Life in Emergency Medicine (ALiEM) with his article, "PEM Pearls: Prolonged Fever in Pediatric Patients – When should you worry?"
- Dr. Craig Newgard's recent study was selected as pick of the month by Academic Emergency Medicine's Editor-in-Chief.
OHSU Research News blog coverage
Dr. Jui receives OHSU's Golden ROSE Award for his outstanding service both on campus and in the Portland community.
Bory Kea, M.D., receives Nicholas L. Tartar Trust Fellowship to help support her research.
In The News - OPB: Feds Propose Paying Doctors To Have End-Of-Life Conversations (POLST).
Meet the new faculty and fellows who joined the Department of Emergency Medicine at the start of the new academic year.
Congratulations to Dr. Noble, whose commitment and compassion was recently honored with OHSU's Golden ROSE Award.
The Emergency Medicine residency class of 2015 selects award recipients to honor at their graduation ceremony.
Nike team visits the OHSU Emergency Department to learn more about working successfully in high stress environments.
Dr. Nicole Deiorio's invaluable support for medical students earns her a place on the Dean's office leadership team as Assistant Dean for Student Affairs.
Announcing the co-recipients of the 2015-2016 John C. Moorhead Endowment Fund Scholarship.
The EM Faculty Schedule of presentations at the 2015 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine Annual Meeting in San Diego, CA.
Dr. Newgard awarded 4-year research grant to evaluate and find ways to improve the current emergency care system for injured older adults.
Jessica Bailey, M.D., receives the second annual Pediatric Educational Program Development Award
Dr. Sun accepts invitation from the NIH Center for Scientific Review to serve as a member of the Health Services Organization and Delivery Study Section.
EM leadership travels to China to meet with Shanghai Jiao Tong University officials.
Match Day has finally arrived! Meet the Emergency Medicine Residency Class of 2018.
Congratulations to Josh Kornegay, M.D., recipient of OHSU's prestigious Golden ROSE Award for outstanding service.
In The News - Dr. Heilman speaks with the Portland Business Journal about the benefits of new Patient Agenda Cards in the emergency department.
In The News - New York Times features research from John McConnell, Ph.D.
NETT study finds progesterone offers no benefit in treatment of traumatic brain injury.
Blue Ridge report ranks OHSU Emergency Medicine research at #2 in the nation for NIH funding.
Several EM faculty members were featured in Portland Monthly magazine's Top Docs of 2015.
- Multiple EM faculty featured in Portland Monthly Magazine's list of Top Doctors and Nurses for 2016.
- Starting next fall, the Department of Emergency Medicine will be offering a new course in wilderness medicine for medical students. Enroll today!
- In The News - The Portland Tribune speaks with Drs. Daya and Warden about the upcoming ESETT study.
- Craig Warden, M.D., leads OHSU's participation in a new multicenter study to assess emergency treatment for prolonged seizures.
- In The News - Dr. Ferroggiaro takes the helm in new partnership with Astoria's Columbia Memorial Hospital.
- Lainie Yarris, M.D., selected to serve as co-director of faculty development within the OHSU School of Medicine.
- In The News - EM toxicology fellow Gillian Beauchamp, M.D., warns about the deadly risks of powdered caffeine on KGW.
- Congratulations to Al Sabbaj, MD, and John McConnell, PhD, co-recipients of the 2015 Chair's Award for their outstanding accomplishments and dedicated service to the department.
- Craig Newgard, M.D., M.P.H., tackles the problem of missing research data in the latest issue of the Journal of the American Medicine Association (JAMA).
- Dr. Sun receives "Best Faculty Presentation Award" for the presentation of his study "Risk-Adjusted Variation of Publicly Reported Emergency Department Timeliness Measures" at the 2015 SAEM Annual Meeting earlier this year.
In The News - Zane Horowitz, M.D., talks with OregonLive about the health risks associated with the recent increase of wildfire smoke in the Portland metro area.
New OHSU study, co-authored by Matt Hansen, M.D., suggests important roles for pediatricians and pediatric emergency physicians in training, medical oversight, and policy development of pediatric out-of-hospital emergency care.
In The News - Jon Jui, M.D., informs KPTV that the unified efforts of rescue personnel and the Oregon Disaster Medical Team create "the magic combination."
- In The News - Matt Davey, M.D., featured on KXL's "In The Garden" to discuss the implications of skin contact with Giant Hogweed.
In The Garden Podcast link to Dr. Davey's Segment
OHSU publicizes its adult, pediatric emergency room wait times online
A study by EM Drs. Craig Newgard, John Ma, and Ritu Sahni finds that patient choice steers some traumas away from the hospitals best-equipped to handle them.
OHSU EM and UC Davis collaborative study finds gunshot injuries in children are disproportionately more severe, deadly and costly than any other source of childhood injury.
Tox faculty and fellows are in Atlanta, GA for the 2013 Annual Meeting of the North American Congress of Clinical Toxicology.
New study by Drs. Newgard & McConnell examines the surprising cost and prevalence of unnecessary trauma care.
EM Sedators helped a great cause and took second place in their division at Friends of Doernbecher Softball Tournament.
The 2013 graduating EM residency class selected several award recipients to honor at their graduation ceremony on June 28th.
In The News -
Dr. David Spiro weighs in on Mt. Hood wilderness survival for KATU News: preparation means prevention.
The EM Faculty Schedule of events for the 2013 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine Annual Meeting in Atlanta, GA.
Dr. Yarris receives the CORD Academy for Scholarship in Education Emergency Medicine's 2013 Distinguished Educator Award in the category of Education Research.
Dr. Deiorio receives the CORD Academy for Scholarship in Education Emergency Medicine's 2013 Distinguished Educator Award in the category of Education Leadership.
Lainie Yarris, MD, MCR, answers the question "Why do you teach?" in a brief Q&A session with the School of Medicine.
New study led by John McConnell, Ph.D., reveals Toyota's "Lean" methodologies may be beneficial in helping hospitals achieve "high-quality health care outcomes."
Welcome the Emergency Medicine Residency Class of 2016.
In The News -
Incoming Peds EM Fellow, David Sheridan, MD, makes big news with his Propofol study as seen in AAP News.
Nicole Deiorio, MD is winner of AAMC's 3rd National Career Development Month Contest.
Incoming Pediatric EM Fellow, David Sheridan, MD leads national study
on pediatric migraine treatment in the ER.
Ben Sun, MD awarded a 5-year, $3.8M NIH grant for multisite observational study.
Dr. David Spiro discusses guidelines for "wait and see" prescriptions to reduce unnecessary antibiotics for middle ear infections in children.
Ten EM faculty featured in Portland Monthly magazine's Top Docs of 2013.
In The News - EM Drs. Terri Schmidt and Jon Jui featured on local news after spending weeks on the east coast aiding victims of Superstorm Sandy.
In The News - Ben Sun, MD is the lead author of a new study on emergency room crowding that is garnering national headlines.
Patrick Brunett, M.D., FACEP, Appointed Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education.
Research Outcomes Consortium (ROC) Investigators Receive Award at the 2012 Resuscitation Science Symposium.
John McConnell, Ph.D, discusses the status of health care reform in Oregon and recent support received from NIH and the Silver Foundation.
Lainie Yarris, MD Receives "Faculty Excellence in Education" Award for her outstanding contributions to medical and graduate education.
In The News - Dr. Zane Horowitz appeared on local TV news to warn of the dangers associated with common laundry detergent packets.
- Health Share of Oregon
ACEP 2012 Scientific Assembly - Schedule of Department Related Events.
Department presence at the 2012 Meeting of the North American Congress of Clinical Toxicology.
Dr. Moorhead assumed office as the president of the American Board of Emergency Medicine.
In The News - OHSU Emergency's Dr. Shana Kusin addresses the respiratory dangers of 'The Cinnamon Challenge' on local TV news.
In The News - High-Tech Ambulance Simulator Debuts in Oregon
Dr. Sun honored by the Emergency Medicine Foundation
Introducing the Emergency Medicine Residency Class of 2015
In The News - Lifelike manikins help simulate true-to-life EMT training in Washington County
In The News - High Fidelity Mobile Training Vehicle to be Unveiled on March 5
In The News - The Oregon Poison Center, Oregon Public Health Division, DEA, and FDA teamed up to investigate the ingestion of an unknown liquid purchased on the internet.
In The News - Drs. Craig Newgard and Ritu Sahni were part of a national panel of experts convened by the CDC to review the guidelines for field triage.