Installing the Spell Checker
The rich text editor in Sakai uses a free third-party spell checking tool (ieSpell) that must be installed. This spell checking tool only works with Internet Explorer.
Note: The latest Firefox browser's built-in spell check system is incompatable with the rich text editor (FCKeditor). So, if you need spell checking while using the rich text editor, your only option is to use Internet Explorer and install the free ieSpell tool. When the Firefox incompatability is fixed, we will update this page.
Installation Instructions (Internet Explorer ONLY)
- Go to the ieSpell web site by clicking this link: http://www.iespell.com/download.php
- Click on any of the "download now" links to go to the software installation site.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to download and install the spell checker. This requires that you click the RUN button when it is presented to you.
- When the installation has completed, restart your browser (if it is open).
Activating the Spell Check Tool
- The first time you use the spell checker in Sakai, you will be prompted to complete the installation.
The spell check tool will now operate when you click on the spell check button.
- An alert banner will appear at the bottom of your browser's toolbar indicating that the ieSpell Core Module needs to be installed.
- Click on the alert banner to complete the installation.
- When the dropdown menu appears, you sould select Run ActiveX Control and click the Run button.