Over and over again

Learning is repetition. At least that is what seems to be true for us from an early age. As babies trying to stand up on our own, as toddlers testing the boundaries of parental restraint, as teenagers making mistakes that hopefully weren’t too serious: We don’t usually get it right the first time, and that seems to be true in medical school as well.

The start of the second year has proven to be repetitive.  Not in a bad way, in more of a “Oh yeah, I remember learning this” way. Looking back at the first year of school, it makes more sense now. All of that basic physiology we learned is helping the pathophysiology almost make sense this year. Rather than just memorizing the names of the heart murmurs and what they represent, we can actually explain why aortic stenosis gives off a crescendo-decrescendo sound (it’s all about pressure).

This is also my primary care preceptor year, where I stay with the same physician for the school year. Last week, I totally nailed the diagnosis of lateral epicondylitis for one of our patients. Oh yeah, at least one person in the room was excited about it (me)! This is a great chance for refining my meager skills in preparation for third year, especially considering that for my one correct diagnosis this year there have been 15 other incorrect diagnoses where my personal victory was being in the appropriate organ system.

1. “yeah, at least one person in the room was excited about it (me)! ” awesome!