. . . Can’t trace time

I remember feeling like this when I was a child, so excited for the special event (Christmas, birthday, etc.) that it seemed like it would never come, and how every day leading up to it would feel like a lifetime despite the weeks passing by so quickly. Well sure enough, even though it seems like it started in another life, our first class as medical students has come to an end. No more Gross Anatomy, Imaging, and Embryology. We’re moving on to Cell Structure and Function. Right at this moment, it feels like I’m in a car traveling 80 miles an hour that just tried to make a 90 degree turn.  The good news though? We can handle it. I can handle it. And it’s worth it.

One thing that is exciting is getting to start a new preceptorship experience. I’m in what’s known as my “specialty year” of this experience, which means I switch to a new specialty physician practice every few months. Although much of my current preceptorship is above my head, involving choosing chemotherapies and palpating enlarged spleens (it’s tough unless it’s really enlarged), it’s still vital because it reminds me that there is a point to learning the tortuous path of the parasympathetic fibers of cranial nerve VII.

Everything I’m learning now should at some point lead to its application in the real world, or at least the understanding of it. I feel very lucky to be able to see patients early in my medical education (under excellent supervision, of course) and I can’t wait to see what new experiences I will have, and what my patients will be able to teach me.

1. Great article and I see what you mean by applying what you learn in the real world!