Inspired by the “whole person approach”

I enrolled in medical school excited by the prospect of learning the art and practice of primary care.  Possessing a vast knowledge and broad skill set, the primary care physician is adept at diagnosing and treating a variety of medical problems with a “whole person approach.” My experience in the classroom and the clinic during my first and now second year of medical school has only heightened my enthusiasm to pursue primary care. I am gaining the tools and experience to have a meaningful and lasting impact on my patients’ lives. I look forward to being a patient advocate and improving the health of my community. While primary care inspires me, I know that this is not true for many.

The number of medical students entering primary care is declining nationwide. This trend is troubling given the current shortage of primary care physicians and the impending retirement of many more. Now, more than ever, we need to inspire health professionals to pursue primary care careers. Along with a like-minded group of my classmates, I am helping to organize National Primary Care Week 2011 at OHSU. This is an opportunity for members of the OHSU community to learn more about the exciting career offered by primary care.  During the week of October 10-14, there will be a series of talks that will encourage our peers to learn more about what primary care is, who primary care providers are, and the ways in which they are changing the system to improve patient care.  I invite you to join us!

-Isabelle Trepiccione, MS2

Click here for the times and locations of the OHSU National Primary Care Week events.

1. Can’t wait, Isabelle–thanks so much for all the hard work in organizing the events!