What’s spring break?

Ok kids, this post has got to be short and sweet because I am seriously deluged by work at the moment. Spring is notorious for being busy and this year is no exception. I’m prepping for lab meeting next week, working on my poster for the conference I’m presenting at in 2 weeks, and trying not to panic about the TAC (thesis advisory committee) meeting I scheduled for myself the week I get back from the conference. It just so happens that as I start putting everything together I immediately think of about 100 experiments I want to do so that the story will be more complete. These ‘minor’ experiments will take more time then I have but I am inevitably going to try my level best to cram as much in as possible. Its crunch time and I’m ready and willing to join the ranks of students sleeping in lab (not literally…the only sleeping spot near my lab is a window bench I have dubbed the ‘DNA bench’ because I am confident that it has soaked up genetic material from everyone who’s ever sat on it–no thank you).

Here’s a question for you fellow and recovering grad students—do those last minute experiments EVER work for you? Mine absolutely never do but I still torture myself for a couple weeks in the hopes that someday I will be able to beam proudly while saying, ‘Here’s some exciting new data that even my boss hasn’t seen…’ or something similar and bathe in the adulation. So far it remains an elusive goal but I am physically incapable of not trying. That’s all I’ve got for now, gotta get back to the grind. Wish me luck!

1. I’m pretty sure you already know where I stand on this issue, but an older and wiser recovering grad student whose bench I now sit at once told me that it is okay to cram in that last minute experiment, but *only* if you can handle it if it doesn’t work (which it probably won’t). If you’re going to be really pissed that you gave up your weekend again, or you have a ton of other things on your plate that are higher priority and doing “just one more” experiment will derail those things, it’s probably better to not do it. :)