OHSU researcher Paul Spellman, Ph.D. is among the contributors to a breakthrough discovery that reveals genomic drivers of a poorly understood form of kidney cancer, primary papillary renal cell carcinoma. The findings, published yesterday in the New England Journal of Medicine, identify many of the altered genes and cell signaling pathways that drive this disease. Spellman, a professor of molecular and medical genetics in the School of Medicine and a member of the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute, along with co-author W. Marston Linehan, M.D. at the National Cancer Institute, worked with physicians and investigators from 39 institutions participating in the Cancer Genome Atlas Research Network to release these findings. Results of this comprehensive study should help physicians better understand how to diagnose and treat patients with papillary kidney tumors, which account for 15 percent of kidney cancer cases. Read more about the discovery here.
Welcome to the Research News Blog
OHSU Research News is your portal to information about all things research at OHSU. Find updates on events, discoveries, and important funding information.
Recent Blog Posts
- OHSU and University of Oregon announce seed funding for collaborative research
- OHSU researchers raise concerns with applying the ProtecT Trial data to minority populations
- ScienceTalk ’18: Learn to communicate science to anyone, March 1–2
- Casey Williamson on ScienceTalk ’18: Learn to communicate science to anyone, March 1–2
- Denesa Oberbeck on ScienceTalk ’18: Learn to communicate science to anyone, March 1–2
- Tom Cooney on Advanced mapping and spatial reasoning tool for OHSU researchers
Awards Basic research Brown bag Cancer Career development Clinical research Collaboration Community Conference Cores Discoveries eIRB Event events Funding Funding focus funding opportunity Funding opportunity Graduate students Integrity Internal funding IRB notes Junior faculty Lecture Limited submission Neuroscience NIH NIH News OCTRI OHSU faculty OHSU Knight Cancer Institute OHSU researchers ONPRC Postdoctoral fellows Research Research administration Research integrity Research resources Research week Seminar Training Translational research TTBD Visiting speaker Workshop