You may have read that a drug from an OHSU startup received FDA approval last month. In 2003, OHSU’s office of Technology Transfer & Business Development (TTBD) created a start-up company called Orexigen Therapeutics, Inc., with Michael Cowley, then a neuroscience researcher at the Oregon National Primate Research Center. Cowley’s work looks at the appetite-regulating pathways in the brain and how these pathways are affected by obesity. Orexigen Therapeutics became public in 2007, and now the drug based on this work, Contrave, is set to go live. Orexigen’s story was featured on the cover of the October 3rd edition of the Portland Business Journal, and you can read it HERE. (Update: we should let you know that the Business Journal article requires a subscription to read the entire article, though the link will give you a preview).
Welcome to the Research News Blog
OHSU Research News is your portal to information about all things research at OHSU. Find updates on events, discoveries, and important funding information.
Recent Blog Posts
- Regarding potential federal government shutdown: Message from Peter Barr-Gillespie
- Noise notice: Vollum Institute courtyard, Jan. 13 and 14
- Advanced mapping and spatial reasoning tool for OHSU researchers
- Tom Cooney on Advanced mapping and spatial reasoning tool for OHSU researchers
- Rosemary Makar on New histopathology consultation service
- Casey Williamson on Vollum Writing Program Starts January 10
Awards Basic research Brown bag Cancer Career development Clinical research Collaboration Community Conference Cores Discoveries eIRB Event events Funding Funding focus funding opportunity Funding opportunity Graduate students Integrity Internal funding IRB notes Junior faculty Lecture Limited submission Neuroscience NIH NIH News OCTRI OHSU faculty OHSU Knight Cancer Institute OHSU researchers ONPRC Postdoctoral fellows Research Research administration Research integrity Research resources Research week Seminar Training Translational research TTBD Visiting speaker Workshop