You may have read that a drug from an OHSU startup received FDA approval last month. In 2003, OHSU’s office of Technology Transfer & Business Development (TTBD) created a start-up company called Orexigen Therapeutics, Inc., with Michael Cowley, then a neuroscience researcher at the Oregon National Primate Research Center. Cowley’s work looks at the appetite-regulating pathways in the brain and how these pathways are affected by obesity. Orexigen Therapeutics became public in 2007, and now the drug based on this work, Contrave, is set to go live. Orexigen’s story was featured on the cover of the October 3rd edition of the Portland Business Journal, and you can read it HERE. (Update: we should let you know that the Business Journal article requires a subscription to read the entire article, though the link will give you a preview).
Welcome to the Research News Blog
OHSU Research News is your portal to information about all things research at Oregon Health & Science University. Visit often for updates on events, discoveries, and important funding information.
Recent Blog Posts
- OSLER TL1 Predoctoral and Postdoctoral Mentored Career Development Opportunity
- Who’s presenting at Research Week 2017? Announcing this year’s keynotes
- Jacob Raber’s team sheds new light on diet and genetics in cognitive impairments
- Helle Rode on John Brigande provides commentary: Hearing in the mouse of Usher
- Barbara Fischer Smoody on OHSU researchers identify structure linked to insulin secretion
- Rachel Dresbeck on Data Jamboree panel presentation: Sharing data & software securely, Nov. 4
awards basic research brown bag cancer career development clinical research collaboration community conference cores Discoveries eIRB event events funding funding focus funding opportunities Funding Opportunity graduate students internal funding IRB Notes junior faculty lecture Limited Submission NIH NIH News OCTRI OHSU faculty OHSU Knight Cancer Institute OHSU Researchers ONPRC postdoctoral fellows research Research Administration research career development research integrity Research Resources research week seminar technology training translational research TTBD visiting speaker workshop