You may have read that a drug from an OHSU startup received FDA approval last month. In 2003, OHSU’s office of Technology Transfer & Business Development (TTBD) created a start-up company called Orexigen Therapeutics, Inc., with Michael Cowley, then a neuroscience researcher at the Oregon National Primate Research Center. Cowley’s work looks at the appetite-regulating pathways in the brain and how these pathways are affected by obesity. Orexigen Therapeutics became public in 2007, and now the drug based on this work, Contrave, is set to go live. Orexigen’s story was featured on the cover of the October 3rd edition of the Portland Business Journal, and you can read it HERE. (Update: we should let you know that the Business Journal article requires a subscription to read the entire article, though the link will give you a preview).
Welcome to the Research News Blog
OHSU Research News is your portal to information about all things research at OHSU. Find updates on events, discoveries, and important funding information.
Recent Blog Posts
- Oral antibiotics after C-section may reduce infection risk for obese women
- Got big data? Meet Research Data Storage
- Collaborator of Mitalipov and Amato to speak on genome-wide target specificity of CRISPR base editors
- Casey Williamson on Traumatic Brain Injury Symposium: From Research to Recovery, Sept. 15–16
- cara bolles on Traumatic Brain Injury Symposium: From Research to Recovery, Sept. 15–16
- Ashurai on OHSU researchers: New discovery on obesity-high blood pressure relationship
Awards Basic research Brown bag Cancer Career development Clinical research Collaboration Community Conference Cores Discoveries eIRB Event events Funding Funding focus funding opportunities Funding Opportunity Graduate students Internal funding IRB notes Junior faculty Lecture Limited submission Neuroscience NIH OCTRI OHSU faculty OHSU Knight Cancer Institute OHSU researchers ONPRC Postdoctoral fellows Research Research administration Research career development Research integrity Research resources Research week Seminar Technology training Translational research TTBD Visiting speaker workshop