With over 300 OHSU students, postdocs, residents, faculty members, and research staff presenting their work at OHSU Research Week, May 5-9, 2014, in the Old Library Building, there’s no better time to explore the wide array of science being performed across our campuses. In addition to exhibiting our own research, we have an exceptional lineup of visiting keynote speakers joining us for Research Week, ranging from the head of the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute to the editor of AAAS’s Science Careers. We hope you’ll join us – all are welcome. Some highlights from the program are listed below.
Over 300 scientific presentations
Watch OHSU researchers present their work at one of 20 oral sessions, or check out one of the five poster sessions scheduled throughout the week. New for 2014: View abstracts of all 300 oral and poster presentations.
An opening reception will be held Monday, May 5 at 5:30 p.m. Later in the week, join us for an awards reception on Thursday, May 8 at 4 p.m. Both receptions will be held in the Richard Jones Hall Atrium.
Four keynote talks
- Gary Gibbons, M.D., director of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) at the National Institutes of Health, May 5, 1 to 2 p.m., OHSU Auditorium
- Jeff Lichtman, M.D., Ph.D., Jeremy R. Knowles Professor of Molecular and Cellular Biology and the Ramon Y. Cajal Professor of Arts and Sciences at Harvard University, May 6, 4 to 5 p.m., OHSU Auditorium
- Jim Austin, Ph.D., editor of Science Careers, a publication of Science magazine and the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), May 7, 12 to 1 p.m., OHSU Auditorium
- Chittaranjan Yajnik, M.D., director of the diabetes unit, King Edward Memorial Hospital & Research Centre in Pune, India, May 8, 12 to 1 p.m., OHSU Auditorium
Career development workshops
- So you want to be an entrepreneur? May 5, 3 to 4 p.m., OHSU Auditorium
- How to survive grad school, May 6, 10 to 11 a.m., OHSU Auditorium
- How to get a postdoc position, May 6, 1:30 to 2:30 p.m., Old Library 211
- Non-academic careers for scientists, May 6, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m., OHSU Auditorium
- How to manage a mentoring relationship, May 7, 9:30 to 10:30 a.m., OHSU Auditorium
- Finding your first faculty job, May 8, 9:30 to 10:30 a.m., OHSU Auditorium
Three Minute Thesis competition
Think you can describe your research to tram travelers in the time it takes to reach CHH? OHSU will hold its second Three Minute Thesis competition for graduate students on Wednesday, May 7 at 4 p.m in the OHSU Auditorium.